307 Rebuild! - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
5.0 and 5.7 Discussion, 307 Rebuild! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Actually depends on the state you are in. In Wisconsin it is legal to drop in a 455 to replace ...
    N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

Re: 307 Rebuild!

Actually depends on the state you are in. In Wisconsin it is legal to drop in a 455 to replace a 307, as they are same family (pushing it), as in Olds V8's, But it is ILLEGAL to drop in a LS1 or LT1 or any other engine not in the same FAMILY.

BUT, they also said that with Wisconsin, talk to them, they are very willing to work with hot rodders who are willing to do it right.

Emissions still must be met for the CAR, not the engine! So you can't put in a W30 cam and expect the 455 to get 307 emissions.

I did a 307 to 350 Olds swap and it was a sweet driver. Do not use a larger cam, I eventually put in a 204/214 SSI cam from PAW and it was not so good in the bottom end with the low 8:1 compression my 77 350 with 3A heads had. Moneydello said to go up to no less than 9:1 (take off 0.060" off my heads) to make it better. He was ok with the cam, but the compression was too low to make it work well. And if the cam is that big, step up to 3.08's or 3.42's.

joe_padavano is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 93 Allante

Re: 307 Rebuild!

Quote Originally Posted by N0DIH
    Actually depends on the state you are in. In Wisconsin it is legal to drop in a 455 to replace a 307, as they are same family (pushing it), as in Olds V8's, But it is ILLEGAL to drop in a LS1 or LT1 or any other engine not in the same FAMILY.
    I can't speak to Wisconsin laws, but from a federal law standpoint you cannot replace a given engine and associated emissions systems with one from an earlier model year, period. California has adopted this requirement and most states follow California on emissions. Since Olds stopped making 455s in 1976, swapping one into a 1984 or (in my case 1986) automobile is technically illegal. My point was that if you do it right, the two engines look virtually the same externally so you should be able to pass a visual inspection, and I know you can get the EQjet to pass a tailpipe test for that year.

On the other hand, it IS legal to swap ANY same year or newer engine into a car so long as you also swap the emissions equipment that goes with the engine. That means that you can put a 2006 LS7 into your 1986 Olds (or Caddy - or Mustang for that matter) and so long as all the 2006 emissions equipment is in place and functioning, you'll be legal in the eyes of the feds and the state of CA (and also Virginia, where I live). The bottom line is that you can always swap cleaner, but you can't swap dirtier.

Emissions still must be met for the CAR, not the engine! So you can't put in a W30 cam and expect the 455 to get 307 emissions.
    Again, I'm not familiar with Wisonsin state laws, but the other requirement (in CA, VA, and most states with similar laws) is that you must comply with the year of the car or the year of the engine, whichever is newer. There are written exceptions for direct engine replacements (ie, you can use a 1990 Olds 307 to replace a 1982 307 and you only need to comply with 1982 equipment and requirements), but for swaps in or out of family, you're required to comply with whichever is newer/cleaner. You also can't swap out of classification (which may be what you're thinking of). That means that you can't put an engine certified for heavy duty emissions (say, from a 2-ton truck) into an automobile, even if the truck engine is newer. The problem is that heavy duty vehicles are subject to less stringent emissions requirements than passenger cars.

Here's an overview from the Calif Bureau of Automotive Repair:

http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/StdPage....s-Jan_1994.htm

An excerpt:

"...engine and emission control configuration...are certified to the year of the vehicle or newer, and to the same or a more stringent new vehicle certification standard..."

Back to my original post - swapping in a 455 is technically illegal but can probably be made to pass.

There is another loophole, by the way. Diesel cars are not subject to emissions testing. Now, in the state of CA (and probably elsewhere), if you convert your diesel car to gasoline you're supposed to install all the emissions equipment as well. The reality is that there's really no way for the DMV to find out...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.