87Brougham Ignition Timing
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
5.0 and 5.7 Discussion, 87Brougham Ignition Timing in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I want to set/correct the ignition timing of my 87Brougham. On the label, it says to remove the ground from ...
    southflorida954 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

87Brougham Ignition Timing

I want to set/correct the ignition timing of my 87Brougham. On the label, it says to remove the ground from the diagnostic lead DC3. I don't know where that is. If someone knows where this is, or what I am talking about, please help me. I had a friend of mine rebuild the carb, and I have done other major maintenance to this car. This is one of the only things setting me back from getting 100% out of the motor.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

Re: 87Brougham Ignition Timing

IIRC that is not for the Olds V8, Chevy V8's used it that way.

In the Olds V8 you need to short pins A-B on the ALDL to put in timing set mode. Then set for I think 10 degrees timing.

The Olds powered guru's here can help better.

FrankieSixxxgun is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1987 Fleetwood Brougham

'87 Olds 307 here. You have to ground out the diagnostic connector under the ashtray inside the car. I forget which pins off-hand, since I have this handy little Chevy tool that someone bought me, but I'm sure you can google that up. Base ignition timing for the 307, believe it or not, is 20 degrees advanced. Anything lower than that, and that 307 becomes and even bigger turd than it already is.

Yea I checked it out on alldata. Its the A & B pins, the same pins you use to pull engine codes. Thanks for the help guys.

Any of you guys ever have problems with DTC34. Something with the vac sensor, it relates to the computer controlled ignition timing.

Spock is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Whoa whoa whoa I've been trying to time a 85 Buick and it's been giving me absolute hell! So you mean for the olds 307 I have connected the A&B pins and THEN set timing? Engine running, connect pins, set timing, disconnect pins...and then only the timing is set?

Yes, exactly. I think you disable something else too. Oh, and timing is set at 1100 rpm isn't it? Look under the hood, the underhood sticker tells you how to set it exactly.

There are three 307's here, 85,86,88. The olders ones say rpm at 1000@ 8 Degress, and the 88 wants it 1100 at 20 degrees. I'll give it a try, I believe in 88 they put in Electronic Spark Control, but I guess these engines love to run high timing.

Thanks N0DIH! I'm so giddy I've gotta try this asap!

caddydream is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Don't forget to unplug the Thermac (on the air cleaner) and plug it with a golf tee or something before setting timing. Also jumper A and B on the plug WITH engine running and after setting timing unplug WITH engine running so you don't set a code.

On Olds 307s 20 degrees BTDC @ 1100 RPM using timing light on cylinder #1.

PS, My 307 is very not like a turd.

I think that was it, the Thermac. Back in the old days it was the Vacuum Advance.....

My 307 Olds in my 85 Cutlass was a nice runner. My 350 Olds that replaced it was much better....

Yeah I've been using a pencil to block the vac advance when I'm setting it, and tried setting it with the timing light and manually without to no avail. I guess the whole time I didn't do the step with the A-B which is why it was always running rough. I just hope the times that I desperately needed the car and drove it with some bad timing that it is not damaged. I drove well under the speed limit and didn't want to push it, but needed the car as I said.

After that's done, I have to figure out how the heck to get more ZIP out of the 307. I can't even spin tires on gravel...shouldn't the torquemonster that it is be at least able to do that?! Is that so much to ask! KHHAAANNNNN!

caddydream is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I don't have my Klingon dictionary so I'll have to guess on that last word.

Try these for 307 performance:

http://performanceolds307.tripod.com/index.html

http://members.dandy.net/~k0xp/Oldsm...Oldsmobile.htm

http://www.442.com/oldsfaq/oldsfaq.htm

Have fun!

Bookmarked and bookmarked! Thanks for the links.

In Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, when Khan tells Kirk that he's not going to kill him but in fact leave him stranded on a barren planet, Kirk screams back at him...KHAAANNNN!!!

It was a classic Seinfeld moment too!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.