307 runs bad
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
5.0 and 5.7 Discussion, 307 runs bad in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; This is my mothers' finace's '87 Brougham.... the car has a brand new long block with about 10k miles on ...
    Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

307 runs bad

This is my mothers' finace's '87 Brougham....

the car has a brand new long block with about 10k miles on it.

it has a brand new oem style carburator

it has a brand new complete exhaust system

full tune up

Heres the deal, it idles rough, it shakes the car quite a bit for a 307 (which is normally really smooth) and at the tail pipe, it definitly sounds like a miss and just not running right. When you hit the gas, there is a low spot, and there is no power at all... I mean, we were pulling out, and he was like look, this is to the floor, I was like what? I mean, it was bad. Also, the car will only reach about 65mph on the highway.... and it gets horrible gas mileage, like 10-12mpg.

I figured the new carb is bad, but it was doing this with the old carb (which was replaced when he got the car... 8 years ago) hence the reason for the new carb.

The plugs/ wires were new with the engine, and look good, a month ago we replaced the cap and rotor which looked worn.

What could the problem be? We were thinking the cat on the new exhaust may be bad, so we were going to remove it.... but I dunno, its new, and I don't think a cat would cause as much of a power loss as this. I mean, when my cat was smashed up and rattling inside, it wasn't anywhere near a power loss like this...

We adjusted the only asjustments on the carb... or so it appeared, the idle mixture... and it did smooth out the idle a bit... but still.

They are driving down this weekend, and I'd like to maybe try to get the problem fixed this weekend.

Could it be a timing issue? would that cause all the above mentioned stuff? we haven't checked the timing yet.

The new engine was put in, in NY, then drove to FL, then up to NY then back to FL with this problem.... the last trip coming down to FL he was towing his trailer and said there was just no power at all.

Anyone have a clue?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: 307 runs bad

Anyone?

We are gonna check the timing tomorrow... hope that helps it...

heh, it was all the timing.

Whent he new engine was put in, the guys set it to 20* but without grounding out the computer for spark advance

it was 6-8* retarded.

So we brought it to 24ish, and it runs great.... solved every issue.

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

Cool, sorry, I missed the thread!

Common problem, easy to do.

boatman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

If all else has failed so far, I would replace the plugs, could have a hairline crack in one of them.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.