Running LS6 injectors on the LT1!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
5.0 and 5.7 Discussion, Running LS6 injectors on the LT1! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I am about to swap a set of LS6 injectors on the LT1. They are 28.5#/hr. Same critical dimensions as ...
    N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

Running LS6 injectors on the LT1!

I am about to swap a set of LS6 injectors on the LT1. They are 28.5#/hr. Same critical dimensions as stock, they are new design with 4 spray holes, compared to ? for the LT1 stock injectors (anyone know?).

I am doing this only for the reason of my E85 project and not because I think they will gain me power.

Anyone ever run LS1/LS6 injectors on the LT1?

How hard is it to swap LT1 injectors?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Running LS6 injectors on the LT1!

Swap done, was actually quite easy, far easier than the 4.9L engine. Took maybe an hour.

I did have to modify the injector slightly. The retaining clip on the LT1 injector (and 4.9L) has a groove that goes completely around the injector, where the LS6 injector only goes part way around on each side. A min or 2 work with a dremel in the plastic body of the injector took care of the problem.

The stock LT1 injectors have 6 spray holes, and the LS6 injector (the new small body injectors) has only 4.

I updated the PCM program to be showing 28.5# injectors, power seems to be there ok, so it does run good on gasoline now. I plan on switching it to as close to 100% E85 as I can to see how it goes.

New info learned! The LS1/LS6 injectors from 98-up are rated at 4 BAR, aka 58 PSI, as they are all on a returnless system that has no regulator on the fuel rail. There is much internet confusion on this, let me set the record as straight as I can. ALL LS series V8's with returnless fuel systems run 24 lb/hr injectors if measured at 3 BAR, aka, 43.5 psi! This includes the GM P/N 12561462 (aka, Bosch 0-280-155-931).

They are 24 lb just like stock LT1. They DO seem to flow a little more on my LT1 over the stock ones, I am still in danger zone for fuel seeing 90% duty cycle, but not seeing 104% duty cycle anymore (that is a calculated number by the PCM, so somehow it felt that it got over 100%).

So if you need larger injectors, look elsewhere!

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

You should go check out the LT1-Edit list. That's a group of guys that know their stuff. Whenever I have an issue, I go post there and the answer is posted by guys that have TONS more experience with modifying the LT1 and LSx cars. If I REALLY get in a pinch, I also know one of the engineers that do all the GM programming for the Tech 1 and Tech 2. The guy's a friggin' genious when it comes to anything driveability related on an engine.

I'll give it a shot. Sounds like that guy has a cool job! If it wasn't for all the crap that is going on in the car industry, I would love to work at GM. But...

All I can say is I am glad I am out of that group now at my company....

Quote Originally Posted by Katshot
    You should go check out the LT1-Edit list. That's a group of guys that know their stuff. Whenever I have an issue, I go post there and the answer is posted by guys that have TONS more experience with modifying the LT1 and LSx cars. If I REALLY get in a pinch, I also know one of the engineers that do all the GM programming for the Tech 1 and Tech 2. The guy's a friggin' genious when it comes to anything driveability related on an engine.

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

Katshot, what's the website for the LT-1 edit list? Is that on Corvetteforums?

denscor is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

'98s, '01-02s have 28.6 lb/hr injectors. '99-'00s have 26.4 lb/hr injectors. hope this helps I have put LS1 injectors in a LT1 .

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

The site is: lt1edit.com and emails should be addressed to: lt1edit@lt1edit.com
    Like any other list, there's a lot of guys asking questions, and some guys that shoot their mouths off at times, but overall, there's some real talented guys there.

As I have learned the hard way, 28.55 lb/hr @ 58 psi, not 43.5 psi like our LT1's run. Essentially this is a waste of $$.

Same flow rates as previous cars used (22 lb in TPI L98's, and 24lb in LT1's)

If you recal the PCM to use the 28.55 lb injectors, you will find a boat load of drivability problems, once you return to 24.87 as OEM set, you will find they will all go away, confirming the flow rates are still only 24 lb injectors.

Quote Originally Posted by denscor
    '98s, '01-02s have 28.6 lb/hr injectors. '99-'00s have 26.4 lb/hr injectors. hope this helps I have put LS1 injectors in a LT1 .
    Mine are from an 01 Z28

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.