Who runs a K&N or other "high flow" filter on the LT1? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
5.0 and 5.7 Discussion, Who runs a K&N or other "high flow" filter on the LT1? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I use the K&N FIPK and 1LE elbow. Had them for years. Love them both and would suggest them for ...
    Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Re: Who runs a K&N or other "high flow" filter on the LT1?

I use the K&N FIPK and 1LE elbow. Had them for years. Love them both and would suggest them for anyone modding a Fleetwood. I felt SOTP that the car performed better and I love the intake roar she has now.
    As for the effects of baro on the MAF readings, I would assume there would be a difference caused by both temp and baro so unless you do a back to back test with identical temp and baro, comparing MAF readings is gonna be tough.

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

I have home plate removed, but not first base right now. Works fine, and not quite so loud. Still my friend on the cell phone can hear WOT and likes it....

I was talking through it with a friend last night, and after looking at my data, I was seeing a trend of lower baro, was lower gm/sec air flow, temps pretty close to the same.

I would love to take the car to the track this year w/ and w/o a FIPK and compare back to back 1/4mile runs. And maybe a dyno run too.... Here it is 3 runs for $90 at a local shop in Chicagoland somewhere in the NW Burbs. So I am told....

BCs71 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1994 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham (some show and some go!)

Quote Originally Posted by N0DIH
    I have home plate removed, but not first base right now. Works fine, and not quite so loud. Still my friend on the cell phone can hear WOT and likes it....

I was talking through it with a friend last night, and after looking at my data, I was seeing a trend of lower baro, was lower gm/sec air flow, temps pretty close to the same.

I would love to take the car to the track this year w/ and w/o a FIPK and compare back to back 1/4mile runs. And maybe a dyno run too.... Here it is 3 runs for $90 at a local shop in Chicagoland somewhere in the NW Burbs. So I am told....
    BaD Bodies is hitting the dyno for a club dyno day on May 6th -- group rate is $60 for three pulls. It's only $50 if we get 20 or more vehicles. Location is Elk Grove Village (NW burns basically). I plan on taking my Caddy.

Also looking to hit Union Grove in mid-to-late May for a club track day. Not date set on that yet.

The Homeplate is not a restriction really for airflow, just for sound silencing. First base, however, is a restriction along with being a silencer.

Scott Mueller told me that the 1994 First Base is not near as restrictive as 95-96.

Anyone ever compare?

I guess we have to look at it 2 ways, is the air being SUCKED into the intake via the first base? OR, is it being blown in?

creeker is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t

I just had my carb fully rebuilt in carb shop and when I reinstalled the carb I also put in a k & n filter, sounds different (throaty) , the car performs excellent now, the carb is probably a large part of it. 1980 coupe dev. 24000
    miles.

Hard to beat a well tuned Q-Jet for throttle response!

Hard to beat a well tuned Q-Jet for throttle response!
    Hell yeah! Gotta love old-school baby!

caddycruiser is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's

I really need to get do a K&N & 1LE elbow combo...

In the meantime, may experiment with the el-cheapo hockey puck method just to see what the difference in sound is with only the homeplate piece removed.

This car is almost too quiet, right now, especially when it comes to any engine/exhaust sound, so a little bit more growl is welcome.

I'm doing the hockey puck too. Just make sure you put it in with the elbow off to ensure it is a smooth airflow, not to far up or down.

I still want to move my MAF infront of the TB like the Vette does.

In all my tuning, I did set up one on losely based on the SS Z28. This is my favorite tune yet. And the intake growl is much improved! It really pulls much harder now than any tune yet. And the first base is still installed.

If you like to tune your LT1, take a look at it, it is a very different approach, more old school. You can tell it isn't GM's typical handywork.... Part throttle is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by caddycruiser
    I really need to get do a K&N & 1LE elbow combo...

In the meantime, may experiment with the el-cheapo hockey puck method just to see what the difference in sound is with only the homeplate piece removed.

This car is almost too quiet, right now, especially when it comes to any engine/exhaust sound, so a little bit more growl is welcome.

Well, right now (or at least I think, based on how it was a few weeks ago) the car is a bit sluggish and has very little of any sound to it unless really pushed.

I'd like to make it a bit more lively and also a bit better sounding, but without a lot of new parts and mods. Just little stuff, like intake, etc.

But I'm most curious right now just to try the hockey puck thing, only to see if the sound is any different without the big extra air box on there.

Each of the 2 resonators attacks a certain sound freq. I forget which is which, but someone did post them once. Pulling the home plate I like the sound, with the first base removed, it is a bit loud for my taste, and my latest tune really has made it sound healthier.

(I'll share the .bin if anyone wants to try it and just PM me, it is setup for 3.42's, 235 70 15's, HD shift patterns with Corvette pressures, which are suprisingly similar to the V4P pressures, and a bit agressive timing for E85, which I haven't fully tested with gasoline with yet)

I'm doing the hockey puck too. Just make sure you put it in with the elbow off to ensure it is a smooth airflow, not to far up or down.

I still want to move my MAF infront of the TB like the Vette does.
    I can't remember where I read it but someone tried that with an LT1 and actually LOST power. It surprised me. I would've thought it would be better with the MAF right by the TB but it wasn't. Damn, I wish I could remember where I saw that.

Anyone know, by chance, what the difference (if there is one) in sound is like by just removing the homeplate and no other change?

I've heard some say it just lets more roar, while others say it gave a funny idle sound that they had to get used to.

The first base deals with the lower freq sounds, the home plate higher. So it will have a bit higher pitch, not at all annoying or obnoxious for a Cadillac to be heard with. I think personally, removing the first base makes it much louder, enough that the guy in the car next to you that you are racing will know that you have it removed.

Katshot, if you find it, I would like to read it.

My thoughts are on it, that the whole assy is under the same pressure, so I can't see it gaining or losing hp unless the actual airflow in the resonator is impeded, which after seeing my MAP pressure readings and my MAF readings, I see NO restriction with the resonator, MAF or air cleaner (stock, with a 3 1.5" holes drilled in it). I was pondering swapping my wife's Vortec MAF in (the larger Vette/Z28/TA size), but there is NO airflow gains by doing it from what I can see. I may try it later on to prove my theory, but for now, I am concentrating on the E85 program.

I am seeing peak airflow around 4600-5600 rpm typically, 227 gm/sec @ 10C @ 0.93 MAP reading (it peaks just before this at 0.97 MAP @ 5300 rpm, (at least on this run, which was at 5425 rpm), then it drops off a little bit, which is at redline. So I honestly don't feel there is any restrictions to really deal with. In comparisson, my friends LS1 Z28 sees around 255 gm/sec stock at peak air flow. Those LS1's flow!

I can't see how anyone can determine that home plate is a restriction at all. Maybe a slight disturbance, but that is all. I just like having it off of there.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.