A.I.R. pump removal problems
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
5.0 and 5.7 Discussion, A.I.R. pump removal problems in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; well removal was going great until i got to unscrewing the nuts at the heads. 3 of them came off ...
    pimpin88 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 01 STS, 92 Roadmaster, 01 SLS-sold, 88 Brougham-crushed

A.I.R. pump removal problems

well removal was going great until i got to unscrewing the nuts at the heads. 3 of them came off ok, but when i went to do the fourth one (which also happened to be the rearmost one) before i even put the wrench on it i knew something was wrong. so i touched the nut and found out the it was rusted away from the threads.

so now, the threads are still in the hole without the nut, and i wont be able to put a plug in there.

any suggestions, and how big of a problem is this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

90Brougham350 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)

Re: A.I.R. pump removal problems

Have you ever used an Easy-Out? It's a type of left-handed drill bit that grips as it turns counter-clockwise. The only problem I can see is having anywhere near enough room to get in there first with a drill, but you could just stick the Easy-Out in the hole and turn it with a wrench! Try putting some heat from a propane or Mapp cylinder on it and some liquid wrench. Good luck!

Brian

pimpin88 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 01 STS, 92 Roadmaster, 01 SLS-sold, 88 Brougham-crushed

yea, i've used an easy-out before. its just that there is no way that a drill would fit in there. i'll try using a wrench. hopefully it'll work. thanks

andrew

90Brougham350 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)

I suppose if you're having too much difficulty you could remove the exhaust manifold completely to get at it, but then you run the risk of breaking off a manifold bolt, which would be far worse than the situation you're in now. Good luck!

Brian

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.