what to do? what to do?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
5.0 and 5.7 Discussion, what to do? what to do? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; i got a 93 fleetwood and wanna throw lt1 in and take out stock 350. is it worth the money, ...
    rivie'sfleet is offline Cadillac Owners Member

what to do? what to do?

i got a 93 fleetwood and wanna throw lt1 in and take out stock 350. is it worth the money, or should i just tinker with the stock slo-poke and convert to port fuel injection. any advise is welcome.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

codewize is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 d'Elegance / 2001 DTS / 2002 DTS

Re: what to do? what to do?

I have the same car and have done some research. I think the LT1 swap is pricey and complicated. The path I'm going to take is this.

Keep the L05 engine. Do a factory Vortec head conversion and by 'factory' I mean from GM you can almost by a kit do do this. When you go to get the heads they're going to recommend an intake and a cam. All from GM. YOU CAN NOT USE THE L05 intake on the Vortec heads. SO that swap alone is going to get you somewhere in the range of 100HP or so. GM's claim is that the heads alone give you 50HP

So now you have quite the sleeper. Check your build sheet for the differential gearing. If you car has the tow package then you'll have 3.73's in there. If you're telling me your car is slow that probably not the case. Grab yourself a Detroit Locker with a set of 3.55's or 3.73's and I'm thinking you'll be pretty happy

Make sure the tranny's tight before all of this.

Quote Originally Posted by rivie'sfleet
    i got a 93 fleetwood and wanna throw lt1 in and take out stock 350. is it worth the money, or should i just tinker with the stock slo-poke and convert to port fuel injection. any advise is welcome.

i'm not a tranny person at all. damn near retarded about the subject, if u ask me. how do i know how my tran is doing?

90Brougham350 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)

I have asked about upgrading an LO5 on Chevy High Performance's website. If you can't afford to do heads yet then the right cam will take care of business.

"This is an excellent opportunity to put some beans into the 350. The version your Caddy has only develops an emasculated 175 horsepower. You really don't need to add more slip with a high stall converter, given the funky ways converters work, you won't see the difference with such a heavy car at the far end of such a gutless engine. You need some torque and ponies injected into the Cad. The route to happiness in this case is more cam, more cam just about anything with bigger lobes than a broomstick is more cam, some heads and if you want to go crazy headers and a cat back exhaust. With a little effort this motor will easily double the output and be smooth, tractable and smog legal.

Depending on whether you live in California or a place that tests to California standards determines some of what you can do. A good cam choice would be a Crane 2030 P/N 104221, this is a hydraulic roller that slips right in it improves timing from what you have at 170/184 with less than .4 inch lift to 204/214 at .429/.452. This stick will add about 80 ft pounds of torque and about 60 horsepower. Then depending on California or not, a set of Vortec heads which require an intake change for bolt pattern will add an easy 40 ft pounds and a like amount of ponies. If in Calif. a set of Edlebrock Performer heads, while more expensive, add the same or a bit more power, use your stock TBI intake and are CARB/50 State legal. So we've moved this turkey from 175 to 275 horeses no sweat with an additional 120 ft pounds. A set of headers and a cat back exhaust could add another 20 to 30 ponies up toward the top end.

Bogie"

Brian

270 horses sounds great, actually. what am i looking at price wise? i'm in chicago, where testing isn't too strict around here. i think i can get away with a bit.

i also wanted to know if the 350 tbi was worth holding on to. it's got 150,000 miles on it. do you guys think its time to let her go and start fresh with an lt1?

90Brougham350 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)

If you can afford to upgrade to an LT-1 from a tired old L05, then you can afford to build a big block Caddy, maybe a 472!

Brian

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.