Caddy down, Caddy down!!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
5.0 and 5.7 Discussion, Caddy down, Caddy down!!! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; My Brougham jumped time last week. I'm thinking of doing the work myself. Shops around here are talking $400+. I ...
    Scottie in Alabama is offline Expired eMail Address

Caddy down, Caddy down!!!

My Brougham jumped time last week. I'm thinking of doing the work myself. Shops around here are talking $400+. I want to save the money so I can throw in a new water pump and thermostat while I'm in there. Any tips master techs?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Spock is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Caddy down, Caddy down!!!

Jumped time? Wow you must have been doing over 88 at least.

Do you have, a timing light? If not, a remote starting switch (or a helper to turn the key)?

If you mean the actual clock on your car, and it's something electrical try disconnecting the battery on your car overnight and seeing if it resets some of the circuitry.

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

Olds 307 timing chains are fairly easy, the only "issue" is the oil pan, you will need to loosen, but not remove, most of the them to do the front seal right so it won't leak. The books says to remove pan, unnessary, but you do need it loose.

Just take your time and pull the accesories away (ps, AC, alt, fan, etc) and then waterpump (have coolant already drained, force as much out as you can with shop vac to prevent any from going into the oil pan) remove water pump (good idea to replace bypass hose while it is off) and then pull front cover.

Are you sure it jumped time, or did it lunch the timing (cam) gear all together? Mine did on my 76 Olds Delta 88. Was running, it surged in power and died, not to be restarted. Pull dist cap and crank, rotor wasn't turning.

flea is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spock
    Jumped time? Wow you must have been doing over 88 at least.
    ^^ LMAO ^^

sorry, hope its not too serious

Quote Originally Posted by N0DIH
    Olds 307 timing chains are fairly easy, the only "issue" is the oil pan, you will need to loosen, but not remove, most of the them to do the front seal right so it won't leak. The books says to remove pan, unnessary, but you do need it loose.

Just take your time and pull the accesories away (ps, AC, alt, fan, etc) and then waterpump (have coolant already drained, force as much out as you can with shop vac to prevent any from going into the oil pan) remove water pump (good idea to replace bypass hose while it is off) and then pull front cover.

Are you sure it jumped time, or did it lunch the timing (cam) gear all together? Mine did on my 76 Olds Delta 88. Was running, it surged in power and died, not to be restarted. Pull dist cap and crank, rotor wasn't turning.
    Well, it died and wouldn't restart, just spinned as if it wasn't getting gas or wasn't firing. Then it started to backfire while trying to start it. It was also blowing out puffs of soot when it backfired. My first impression after the backfire was that it had jumped time. I had a mechanic friend of mine take a listen and he also felt that was the case. Just before it died, it was stalling like it was going to cut off. Did that maybe twice before it quit.

Quote Originally Posted by flea
    ^^ LMAO ^^

sorry, hope its not too serious
    If it is the timing it won't be too serious, just hope I didn't misdiagnos. Hate to spend all that time to no avail. Cost is very minimal, around $20 for chain and gear, another $25-30 for a new water pump and a few more for a therm and bypass hose. Might as well replace them while there off. $65 tops, unless wrong prognosis.

Kev
    Kev is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....

Quote Originally Posted by Scottie in Alabama
    If it is the timing it won't be too serious, just hope I didn't misdiagnos. Hate to spend all that time to no avail. Cost is very minimal, around $20 for chain and gear, another $25-30 for a new water pump and a few more for a therm and bypass hose. Might as well replace them while there off. $65 tops, unless wrong prognosis.
    I had a little Monza with the 4 cyl "Iron Duke" I lost valve timing also. I pulled it apart (valve cover, timing chain cover) the chain and gears looked fine, tension was good, valve timing was shot. I was confused. I guessed but never verified that the shear pin on the cam shaft and gear likely sheared allowing the gear to spin somewhat on the shaft. I didn't bother investigating further as I didn't feel it was worth repairing so I junked it.

What does that have to do with your situation? Maybe nothing, I don't know but it's late and I thought I'd share it. .... .... ..

I must be getting tired..

Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

MEDIC!!!! MEDIC !!!!!! CADDY DOWN !!!

kev brings up a good point , you may want to check the key down there if it has one (hey nodih does it ?)

As for that monza , that was a easier fix then what kev went thru . you see they made a monza fiaxall tool , lots of engineering went into it and it was made by the moltov company , the cocktail proudct line , flaming edition , very quick and efficent , even came with the phone number to the insurance company to inform them about this myster fire caused by the fixall tool ....very neat , to bad liability lawsuits forced them to close there doors in 1988

Kev
    Kev is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneage_Caddy
    MEDIC!!!! MEDIC !!!!!! CADDY DOWN !!!

kev brings up a good point , you may want to check the key down there if it has one (hey nodih does it ?)

As for that monza , that was a easier fix then what kev went thru . you see they made a monza fiaxall tool , lots of engineering went into it and it was made by the moltov company , the cocktail proudct line , flaming edition , very quick and efficent , even came with the phone number to the insurance company to inform them about this myster fire caused by the fixall tool ....very neat , to bad liability lawsuits forced them to close there doors in 1988
    I hear tell Ford did them one better though, they had theirs built in. I beleive the Pintos were the first to sport the device. They didn't gain too much in popularity though as they had a tendency toward premature ignition?

Hey guys, forgot to tell you the Caddy's up and running. The timing chain fix was successful. Also had to change the rotor button. Overheated while trying to start it I guess. Damn thing was in pieces!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.