Fuel Pump Shot?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
5.0 and 5.7 Discussion, Fuel Pump Shot? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; So today on my way to work my Caddy stalls while in motion. I was able to restart it and ...
    DopeStar 156 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 STS, 89 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance, 84 Chevy K/10

Fuel Pump Shot?

So today on my way to work my Caddy stalls while in motion. I was able to restart it and continue along my way. I get about an eighth of a mile and it happens again. This happened five more times when the car just decided to quit. If you turn the key you get the usual whinning sound but no turn over. It's identical to trying to start the car in the morning without choking. My guess is the fuel pump went. Any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

greggbruce is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 93 sts 90 deville

Re: Fuel Pump Shot?

well,
    check the fuel pressure.

then see if the pump is getting power AND ground at the connector to the pump(wiring that goes to the top of the fuel tank). if there's power and ground, the pump's bad.
    if there's not, then you look at the relay, the wiring, the power supply.

could be an ignition module....
    or the computer not firing the injectors, or any number of things.
    you have to play the process of elimination.
    engine needs air, fuel and spark to run, which one are you missing???

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

What wires? Look ma no wires.

Mmmm, sorry, car's not FI. 4 Barrel Carb in the 307 Broughams. My engine has spark I'm sure of it. Plugs and wires are new. This seems like a fuel issue to me seeing as choking has no effect after 24 hours since my roadside breakdown.

pimpin88 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 01 STS, 92 Roadmaster, 01 SLS-sold, 88 Brougham-crushed

this happened to me not too long ago. before you spend the money to have somebody else put in a new fuel pump, or do it yourself, which i did and found out it wasnt the problem. check the fuel filter. thats all that was wrong with mine, but i ended up spending 8 hours putting in a new fuel pump because you have to take so much stuff off.

so check the fuel filter. there is a possibility that it is clogged. if you cant tell by looking at it. try blowing through the end where the fuel enters it. if it is really hard to blow through, its clogged

Quote Originally Posted by pimpin88
    this happened to me not too long ago. before you spend the money to have somebody else put in a new fuel pump, or do it yourself, which i did and found out it wasnt the problem. check the fuel filter. thats all that was wrong with mine, but i ended up spending 8 hours putting in a new fuel pump because you have to take so much stuff off.

so check the fuel filter. there is a possibility that it is clogged. if you cant tell by looking at it. try blowing through the end where the fuel enters it. if it is really hard to blow through, its clogged
    Well I know it's not the fuel filter since I changed it about a month and a half ago, so that should be good. I was told the fuel pump wouldn't take too long to replace though. About an hour's labor.

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

How do you know it's getting spark first of all? Did you pull a plug wire and watch it spark?

Do these cars have mechanical or electrical pumps? Well either way before you try to mess with the pump, use a T and hook a gauge up to see if fuel pressure is actually your problem.

greggbruce is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 93 sts 90 deville

my apologies--- see what happens when I "assume"? (that it is FI)

if it's a carb, just spray with some starting fluid and see if it kicks over and then dies. that will tell you if it's getting fuel or not.

if it doesn't run, check spark (at the END of the plug wire) insert screwdriver in end of wire and hang on to it, grab something metal on the car, crank the engine, if it shocks the hell out of you, then it has spark.
    Just kidding--- use the screwdriver, but hold the metal shaft close to something metal on the engine, have someone crank it and see if you have a pretty, blue spark. It should jump at least a quarter-inch gap. if it's yellow, I would suggest a new coil.
    if no spark, check cap and rotor, then power to the pink wire that plugs into the cap, then the module.

if it does run, then you have spark and can ignore the stuff before this paragraph.
    Undo the fuel line at the carb, put a piece of rubber fuel line on it, run it into a container, and have someone crank the motor. it should SQUIRT not DRIBBLE fuel into the container. if it dribbles, then take off your gas cap, then the line from the tank to the fuel pump and blow air from the fuel pump line towards the fuel tank-- I have had the old style ones get the sock inside the tank plugged or collapsed, that will blow it out or off.
    then put the hose back on the fuel pump and slightly blow air through the gas cap opening with a towel wrapped around the end of the air nozzle to sort of "seal" the opening so it actually goes towards the fuel pump, and that will "prime" the pump, then crank the engine again to see if it squirts into the container. it might take 10 to 15 seconds or more of cranking to get results.
    if that don't get a good stream of fuel up there, it's time for a pump, or possibly the eccentric bolted to the cam gear under the timing cover.
    and THAT'S a lot of work.

Problem ID'd hole in the diaphram in the fuel pump.

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

Don't forget the oil change.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.