Caprice to Caddy Motor Swap(350)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
5.0 and 5.7 Discussion, Caprice to Caddy Motor Swap(350) in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have read other posts but none have answered my question or close to the dilema I am in. Here ...
    Big_Blue is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1986 Fleetwood Brougham D'elgance

Question Caprice to Caddy Motor Swap(350)

I have read other posts but none have answered my question or close to the dilema I am in. Here it goes

I currently have a 1986 Fleetwood with the trusty 307 78k orig miles. I picked up a ole mans 1992 Caprice with the 350 motor 130k rebuilt motor (no title) cause he cant find it and doesnt want to bother with looking for it or going to DMV to get another. I did the carfax and did a vin trace to make sure ole man was trying to pull a fast one on me but it all checks fine. No liens or debt attached to the car and he is the last owner (registered the car in 1998). The car looks like it wasnt washed in ages and once I washed it I notice the cracks in the front and rear windshield and the interior went from grey to almost white with the sun baking on it and the old cig smoke in the car makes my lungs hurt.

The motor & tranny in the caprice runs like a dream it skids down the street like a drag car.No problems at all even the ac worked fine. But as we all know its F.I. and my caddy is Carb. I was debating on taking that motor,tranny,drive shaft and rear differential. I was curious to know if it would be good to change the motor back to carb along with changing the intake and it if it will screw up the motor or the current computer in my caddy. Any thoughts or site to someone that did this or if it shouldnt be done pls Holla.

I really love the performance out of the caprice cause it runs and sounds great but I dont even want to think about restoring it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

Re: Caprice to Caddy Motor Swap(350)

I would yank the whole drivetrain, end to end, eng, trans, and rear end (if 7.5" in the Cad and a 8.5" in the Caprice) and keep EFI, yank fuel tank, ECM and wiring, fuel lines. May be a big job, but very rewarding if the car is worth keeping. EFI is sweet to have. But time consuming and costlier swap.

Or the dirt cheap and fast, slide in the Chevy 350 in place of the Olds 307 and don't tell the ECM. Keep it carb'd with the existing computer, it will not have any issues, I did it on my Cutlass with an Olds 350, computer never knew and ran fine. Use the Chevy's distributor, it should work with the ECM in the Cad. Get an Edelbrock Performer intake (EGR for emissions and to prevent potential pinging issues) and bolt on the 307's Q-Jet. Open up the secondaries to allow full airflow (800 CFM) on the Q-Jet. Leave jetting alone for now, tweak it later for .85 to .88v @ WOT on the O2 once running. You will need Caprice exhaust, modify it if needed, keep cat converters if you have any emissions concerns. This will pass emissions easily in 49 state, but fail in CA for visual, but pass tailpipe numbers.

Want to add some cheap real performance? Drop on a Edelbrock Vortec 4BBL intake ($129ish) and a set of Chevy Vortec heads (only $480 new at any GM dealer!), will gain around 30-40 hp over stock 350 heads and around 10-15 hp with the intake over stock 350 4BBL Chevy aluminum intake. And great drivability! You will love them Vortec heads.

I was gonna buy the Edelbrock kit from jegs that includes the carb, intake and change the ignition to MSD. But doing the conversion to Carb to FI is very very time consuming since this is gonna be my solo project only giving 11 hours at most a week. The tear down alone of the car would take more then a month and trying to get every since wire would kill me. I couldnt store the car for a week but not anymore on the base that I am stationed in NJ. I would just get the radiator,motor,tranny,shaft,rear and fuel tank along with the exhaust in a few days. while the motor was out I would change the intake and other items.Along with sanding off all the old oil and crap off which prolly take the longest cause I would like to take my time and do it right and put the motor in the caddy prolly in a month or so.

Thanks for answering

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

You could also go to the DMV and get all the forms and just have the guy sign them. I have gotten titles for cars in NJ which were lost. Not all that hard.

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

The only concern I have on going non ECM Q-Jet is the lack of lockup provisions on the trans, which can spell death to it in short order, especially in the summertime.

The performance of the ECM on the 307's Q-Jet on my 350 was great, no problems except for timing a bit high in the mid range rpm under light load. Else was good and excellent driveability. Had the dead nuts reliability ofthe 307 with a 350 Olds. I swapped in a larger cam later on when mine went bad (cam wore down and moved in the block and wiped the distributor gear and the cam gear). Keep a mild cam, unless you have some decent compression to start with, around 9:1 and 204/214 duration is good. I had around 7.8:1 and the cam was too big, even for a light car. More like 194/204 (or closer to the LT1 350 Cam specs maybe) would have been better for overall driveability. But WOT was still fun!

A good stock HEI is hard to beat, in most all cases a MSD is worth little or nothing, rarely warranting its cost. So take it under consideration. Hate to see you waste $$ for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Blue
    I was gonna buy the Edelbrock kit from jegs that includes the carb, intake and change the ignition to MSD....

evilrussian is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '83 SDV, '91 SDV

Quote Originally Posted by N0DIH
    The only concern I have on going non ECM Q-Jet is the lack of lockup provisions on the trans, which can spell death to it in short order, especially in the summertime.
    There is a way to control TCC solenoid with a relay, going through 4th gear pressure switch and unlock with a brake light circuit. That's the way mine is done. I got the kit from http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com

I know Jegs and Summitracing have a similar kits, although it's easy to make up your own, cheaper too.

Thank you guys for responding to my question but I have decided to prolly do this project next coming spring due the time and weather factor. This job will be done outside and I am gonna move the car to a friends house for storage since I have no title and time. My wife was recently deployed to you know where and watching the kids and trying to do this is impossible. She wont be returning until late September or early October so the weather will be against me.Unless we have a warm winter. This gives me time to gather some funds and complete the paint job my caddy needs.

Btw anyone in the tri state area in need of some 2003 Ford Mustang factory polished Alu rims with Yoko tires(95 percent tire life)? They have about 2 months at most of use on them. I am looking to sell them in my area or on ebay for 150 for 4 rims and tires. I think its a good deal and should sell rather quicking considering that they can cost god knows how much from the dealer.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.