1992 Cadillac Brougham Info
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
5.0 and 5.7 Discussion, 1992 Cadillac Brougham Info in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hi everyone, I am writing this because I need some info on my engine and car(things I can do for ...
    92cadbro is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 Cadillac Brougham 5.7L

1992 Cadillac Brougham Info

Hi everyone, I am writing this because I need some info on my engine and car(things I can do for modifications, suggestions, trouble spots of the car and drivetrain, etc...) I have a 1992 Cadillac Brougham d'Elegance with 94000 miles/152000km on it (and a brand new paint job!) with the 5.7L 350 L05 engine. I also need to know my diffy gear ratio, transmission type and other things that are important!! Here is a list of things my mechanic has done on my car:

-change engine oil
    -change transmission oil

-change differential oil

-change air filter

-change transmission filter

-change oil filter

-change gas filter

-change breather

-change PCV valve

-clean injectors

-flush radiator

-change spark plugs (platinum), wires, distributor, rotor

-bleed and clean brakes

-check timing with gun

-changed belts

-change frost plug

-change differential bearing

-changed 4 shocks (2 air shocks)

-fill up all fluids

-removed catalyct converter, put a resonator

I'm goint to change my TPS sensor and my Oxygen sensor along with all my breaks soon. Any suggestions on things I missed?? (Maybe hooking the car up to a computer and testing the ECM??) Any info would be appreciated...

Thanks everyone!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CADDYBLACK99 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-4 1999 Deville Concours

Re: 1992 Cadillac Brougham Info

This should get you started:
    http://100megsfree4.com/cadillac/cad1990/cad92b.htm.

You will want to check your codes:
    http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/dtcobd1.html
    Some good ideas here also:
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ead.php?t=5880

Good luck
    Paul

90Brougham350 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)

Re: 1992 Cadillac Brougham Info

OK, the TBI 350 makes 185 horse at 4200 rpm (net) and 300 ft. lbs at 2000 rpm. If you have the tow package, you have an 8.5 inch 10-bolt rear end with a 3.73 ratio. If it's the coachmaster package, you have the same with a 3.08 ratio. The engine has a 9.8 compression ratio. The tranny is a 700-R4 / 4L60. This is the same drivetrain that occupies so many of the half-ton pickups from the late 80s to mid 90s. If you want to mod the engine, a head swap and cam would be the best place to start.

The heads have great fast burning characteristics but their flow properties leave much to be desired. Either port the heads or swap to vortecs or, if you're willing to spend the money, some AFR or Trick Flow. The cam in this engine is very mild, and a cam swap will do wonders. The lobes are small and the separation is wide, after all, it's a work truck engine that's supposed to run forever reliably. Of course, if you swap heads or a cam, you'll have to change the PROM as well, but that's a small price to pay for the increase in power.

One of the easiest things to do for a little extra power is the basic tune-up, and to junk the AIR pump, if you have no catalytic convertor. Since the AIR injection doesn't do anything but pump air into the exhaust to help burn unused fuel, it increases temperatures and draws engine power. If you don't have a cat or are planning on removing it, take the AIR pump out and remove the internals. Re-install it, and it won't draw any power off the belt drive.

Another good booster would be to change the coil and the module. Although the stock pieces work quite well, a stronger spark does nothing but help.

I recently installed a tranny cooler on my 90, I went with a Permacool, 2 sizes larger than I needed, and bypassed the radiator cooler completely. It was over $100 but money well spent, the thing is huge and should keep the temps at 150 or lower.

Of course if you have the time, dropping in a 500 or a 383 stroker......Best of luck!

Brian

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.