1977 Seville 5.7 with EFI looses power under a load
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
5.0 and 5.7 Discussion, 1977 Seville 5.7 with EFI looses power under a load in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Seeking advice on my 1977 Cadillac Seville... Motor is a stock 5.7 Cadillac 350 with Electronic Fuel Injection. Fuel pressure ...
    Caddiclysm is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1977 Cadillac Seville

1977 Seville 5.7 with EFI looses power under a load

Seeking advice on my 1977 Cadillac Seville... Motor is a stock 5.7 Cadillac 350 with Electronic Fuel Injection. Fuel pressure varies between 38-43 psi, and holds pressure for 30 seconds after the motor is shut off. The engine starts hard and runs excessively rich when cold (regardless of the season). Under modest acceleration the engine loads up and stalls without warning until driven for 15 minutes or so. After stalling, cranking the engine at wide open throttle starts it up running very rich. When reving the engine, it will not accelerate above 3000 RPM. When holding rpm where the engine begins to stumble, it will clear in about 15 seconds and smoothly revs to higher RPMs. At that point, the motor has enough power to gently pull into traffic on local roadways. Loading up and stalling repeats intermittently until the car has driven for 15 minutes or longer. After that the motor runs smoothly, albeit dramatically under-powered. This car accelerates from 0 to 60 in roughly 25 seconds and can barely climb hills or travel at highway speeds. I am torn between a defective fast idle valve heater or malfunctioning injectors. Anyone care to share their advice on how to resolve these issues? Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re: 1977 Seville 5.7 with EFI looses power under a load

Why the double post?

Zachary Smith is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1979 Eldorado

Re: 1977 Seville 5.7 with EFI looses power under a load

This is quite likely the manifold temperature sensor. It doesn't effect much until after the coolant sensor has detected a warm engine. I am too cheap/ couldn't find
    replacements for both sensors. There are many sensors available for "Intake air charge temperature". Do not buy. They are all wrong. They have the newer Negative
    temperature coefficient response. The Haynes manual is wrong. The resistance should rise with temperature, not lower. I have installed "guitar pots" temporarily to test.
    I can know customize my EFI to fool it into whatever mixture I want. I am sure any potentiometers that you can control between 400 - 4000 ohms would work great.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.