O2 Sensor
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
5.0 and 5.7 Discussion, O2 Sensor in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Is the O2 sensor in my 350 TBI factory welded in place? I'm trying to replace it per instruction from ...
    90Brougham350 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)

O2 Sensor

Is the O2 sensor in my 350 TBI factory welded in place? I'm trying to replace it per instruction from my service manual but I can't budge the damn thing. Thanks,

Brian

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

codewize is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Brougham d'Elegance / 2001 DTS / 2002 DTS

Re: O2 Sensor

They're tough to get loose. I just did mine on my 93 FWB. 2 days of spraying with penitrating oil. Do you have to O2 Sensor socket? It helps to get one if you don't.

They are 3/8 drive but have a 1" nut like thing on the top so you can throw a 1" socket on a 1/2 drive ratchet and pull like hell. It took 2 people on the ratchet to get mine loose.

90Brougham350 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)

Hmmm, I don't believe mine is 1 inch, 13/16th is just too small and 7/8th is just too large, and that little bastard sure looks like it's welded on there, but I'll try and put a socket on it tonight. Thanks,

Brian

codewize is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Brougham d'Elegance / 2001 DTS / 2002 DTS

I think you miss understood. The O2 sensor is 7/8. There is a special socket to remove these things. They look like a deep well impact with a slot on the side for the wire.

On top of that special socket is a 1" nut. So you have the option of using a 1" wrench or a 3/8 drive ratchet. What I had to do was use a 1" socket on a 1/2 drive ratchet.

Unless there is a lot of clearance you'll never get this out without that special socket. Sears has them for $10

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

If you are dead set at getting it out, and are for sure replacing it, just cut the wire and use a std stocket (6 point, never use a 12 point on a 6 point hex). But honestly, few sensors are actually bad, a majority of them last a lifetime of the vehicle assuming it is kept in good tune and nothing poisons the sensor.

My 85 Cutlass I could use a box end wrench! It was in a great place, the socket was harder to use! Love that 1980 manifold off of a 260 Olds that I found. Who says 260's are worthless??!?!

FRANKO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1978 Seville, 1979 Seville, 1979 Seville diesel, 1980 Eldo

YOU GUYS!!! You have to remove the sensor HOT!!!

FRANKO

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

Good point!! I think I have, but it was coincidence that it was hot!

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

Sometimes the sensor and area around it needs to be heated. Plumbing propane torches work well for this. If you get it to turn and then it locks up again wait for everything to cool and spray some WD-40 or similar into the gap where the threads are. Then screw it back IN. It should spin out after repeating this a few times. Beats tearing the threads out of the pipe.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.