86 to 91 Swap Conversion
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
5.0 and 5.7 Discussion, 86 to 91 Swap Conversion in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have an 86 Fleetwood witht the 307 carb engine and I just purchased a 91 fleetood swap ( engine, ...
    joshie4ever is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Exclamation 86 to 91 Swap Conversion

I have an 86 Fleetwood witht the 307 carb engine and I just purchased a 91 fleetood swap ( engine, tranny, complete drivetrain).

What is necessary to complete this conversion succesfully and have my car running propery again ? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

90Brougham350 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)

Re: 86 to 91 Swap Conversion

91 Brougham? Well, 91 either had a 305 Chevy carb'd or a 350 TBI Chevy. If it's got the 305, you'll need to do a traditional swap, with engine and computer. You might want to take the transmition along with it, since the tranny in the 91 is mating to a Chevy engine, and the 307 is an Olds engine. If it's the 350 TBI, you're going to need to take the fuel pump which is in the tank. You'll need to wire that up, as well as take the fuel lines. It's easier than using the existing ones, because in 90 GM went to the quick-disconnect plastic lines. They don't rust or crack, and the fuel filter for the 350 is right infront of the passenger side tire on the frame rail. Obviously computer on this one as well. If it's the 350, the tranny is a 700-R4 and the rear-end is an 8.5 inch 10-bolt. All better to use.

Brian

Thank you. Exactly the reply I was looking for. The thing im worried about is that Im going from a 86 carbed to a 91 TBI..would I have to take the entire wireing harness from the 91 to put in my 86 ? I have the complete drivetrain from the 91 right now ( engine tranny driveshaft and rear end) and Im swapping it all over into my 86 tommorow. I will make sure to include the parts you listed above also. Thanks

90Brougham350 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)

Yeah, gotta take the whole thing, since TBI "technically" is fuel injection, which means using the computer and also the fuel lines need a return line to the tank.

Brian

Just to let anyone know for future reference....this is by far not easy at all. Theres a lot of customizations that are taking place here. Ill try to take some pictures and make this easier for anyone else to does this....whoo ( Im going to school to be an electronics engineer and I dont even want to tackle the computer wiring that I have to do =(

caliguy65 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1981 Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance coupe

I am in the process of doing this also. Like Joshie4ever said this is not easy.
    The way he is doing it sounds a bit harder than the way I am doing it.
    I bought a 90 brougham and I am going to just take my 82 Brougham coupe body and put it on the 90 frame. I'm going to use the front end, rear bumper and side moldings off of the 90 and install the digital dash, computer, seats and anything else that will interchange and install it on the coupe body.
    This way I will basically have a 90 Brougham coupe with everything that the 90 has and it will all be functional and not just for looks. (including ABS)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.