Got an Olds 307 for my 85 Brougham! Now for swap questions..
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
5.0 and 5.7 Discussion, Got an Olds 307 for my 85 Brougham! Now for swap questions.. in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hi, I figure I'll be posting more and more questions here as time goes on. This will be my first ...
    Mogul345 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Got an Olds 307 for my 85 Brougham! Now for swap questions..

Hi, I figure I'll be posting more and more questions here as time goes on. This will be my first engine/tranny swap. My buddy has experience in it though, and will be helping me alot.

I think we have most of the big questions answered. However, one question remains. We're wondering if the K member for the broughams with a 4100 were the same as the later broughams with the Olds 307. I guess this means the crossmember the engine sits on? We're pretty sure all the other engine/tranny mounts will be the same.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

EastOfGratiot is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Got an Olds 307 for my 85 Brougham! Now for swap questions..

How is the swap going? If you haven't begun, i would like to suggest a larger Olds engine. A 455 would fit the bill just right.

maksitfaster is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 96 FWB

Quote Originally Posted by EastOfGratiot
    How is the swap going? If you haven't begun, i would like to suggest a larger Olds engine. A 455 would fit the bill just right.
    a cheaper and sneakier alternative would be a 403 olds.they are decent motors that got a bad rap.tons of torque & nearly bulletproof.....as long as you don't spend much time above 5000.but that's true for any Olds.in my 4000lb t/a with 2.73 rear gears it ran a 14.1 @ 100.not bad for a smog motor. & it's mostly stock

joeveto is offline Cadillac Owners Member

He's in Northeast Ohio, where we have to deal with emissions inspections. The bigger engine will never pass, and the car won't be exempt (assuming no changes in the law) until 2009. Of course, if he can convince the BMV the car is a collector's item, which isn't easy, he could bypass all that and put whatever he wants in the car.

Mogul345 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Yeah, I'm somewhat worried about e-check. I will be going without computer control with the Olds 307. However, the stuff e-check tests for is pretty lenient, at least on an 85. So I'm hoping that I'll pass with a good tune-up and cats only, since most smog equipment is for cold-start emissions. I'm also putting 4-1 headers on it with a custom true dual exhaust. So I'm hoping the toothless morons that work at e-check will only put the reader on one pipe (and thus get only half the emissions!).

If all else fails though, I will register the car up in Toledo. Lucas county doesn't have E-Check, and I have friends there who won't care if I use their address. Then all I'll have to do is make one trip a year to pick up the new stickers.

Richard A. Coyle is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I thought I would jump in and add my 2 cents.

I had a 74 Chevy van, switched to a 350 OLDs, had a little more power that the stock Chevy, and thanks to the OLDs could forget about changing spark plugs (what is up with Chevy and plugs??) But gas mileage was still only 13 MPG, so when it lost a rocker, I tried a 307.

Bad idea, I had to fall behind 18 Wheelers climbing hills, and was even passed by some of them and MPG dropped to 10, so consider a 350, same block and every thing, just more power, and sadly the OLDs 307/350 is a little heavier than the Chevy, so you may want to compensate for that with the 350.

One problem was I was running a old switch pitch TH400, later I have been told that the 400 is a gas hog, stronger than dirt but eats gas just to run, (30 HP?) so I am now using 700r4 and 200 r4s in everything.

I figured this would applied to the Caddy as these are normally heavy cars much like the Van.

Rich

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.