Can a 5.7 diesel convert to an Olds 350? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
5.0 and 5.7 Discussion, Can a 5.7 diesel convert to an Olds 350? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Wrong!! I know this is a dusty thread but I can't stand when someone explains something incorrect . The 350 ...
    SupRNatural is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 Montana Blue Eldorado,1982 Eldorado Biarritz Diesel

Re: Can a 5.7 diesel convert to an Olds 350?

Wrong!! I know this is a dusty thread but I can't stand when someone explains something incorrect . The 350 olds diesel was a completely different block (much higher nickel content) Could be safely bored .125 thousandths overbore without sonic testing , Heads, intake, complete engine were not the same.. It shared the bolt circles to attach the accessories,transmissions but that's about it. After 1980 the main journals were 3" BB ones. Also roller cam, and lifters were installed.

The GM genius's never installed a factory fuel and water separator in any GM diesel equipped car till 1984, They Installed weak head fasteners nor prepped the public on how to care for a diesel. By then the damage was done. Water and oil don't mix so many who filled up at other than truck stops (huge amounts of diesel fuel sales) were almost guaranteed water in the fuel. Which spelled disaster because most people did not have a clue and drove them just like gas powered cars. Poor R&D, and public awareness killed GM not this engine. I know a few that have hit 200-300k. Not bad for the worst engine GM ever produced

FYI Most racing builders use the DX block to build a big cube bullet race engine so if anything the diesel is converted to a Gas engine.

Quote Originally Posted by CoupeDevilleRob View Post
    They are going to move this to a different forum but....

The GM 5.7 Diesel is an Olds 350. The diesels were converted from gas engines, which is why they sucked. Just use the accesory brackets from the Diesel on the gas engine and everything should be pretty direct.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

1978 was the last year of the large Eldorado. No diesel was offered till the down sized car in 1979!!!!The Seville, already down sized in 1976, had a diesel in late 1978, at least in California. So you are either looking at a Seville or a 79 Eldo. Oh my GOD!! didn't realize a 4 year old thread??? Never mind.

Red face Re: Can a 5.7 diesel convert to an Olds 350?

I have a mint 1982 Eldorado Biarritz Diesel. Autumn Maple Firemist/White Leather Interior,White half landau top. I have a few things to do with her before I bring her back online. She's real pretty and rare too.

Quote Originally Posted by carnut View Post
    1978 was the last year of the large Eldorado. No diesel was offered till the down sized car in 1979!!!!The Seville, already down sized in 1976, had a diesel in late 1978, at least in California. So you are either looking at a Seville or a 79 Eldo. Oh my GOD!! didn't realize a 4 year old thread??? Never mind.

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

A friend of mine said the D Block is better than the DX for racing, thicker cyl walls.....he runs low 10's on his.... only 363 CID or so. Not bad for a nearly 8000 rpm SB Olds.....

The blocks are not much different if at all, though still much beefier than the gas blocks. Pre 1981 they used pencil tipped injectors which gave the motor a whopping 125 hp 1981 GM added BBO 3" main journals up from 2.5" a roller cam & lifters and internal EGR. 1982 engines had wide beam connecting rods and much improved connecting rod bushings also. I like them even though most speculators hate them. I dare to be different.

Quote Originally Posted by N0DIH View Post
    A friend of mine said the D Block is better than the DX for racing, thicker cyl walls.....he runs low 10's on his.... only 363 CID or so. Not bad for a nearly 8000 rpm SB Olds.....

Smile Re: Can a 5.7 diesel convert to an Olds 350?

Here's a 79' olds D block wagon with 350k Just imagine if GM had put a small bit of R&D in schooling their mechanics and the public prior, maybe things would have not been so twisted back then, and they wouldn't be so F-ed up today. Should have, would have, could have.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T7oTzEW3jk"]YouTube - Oldsmobile diesel cold start[/ame]

Foxtrot70 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

I just joined forgive the wrong location of this question, if so please redirect me. I am considering purchasing a 1981 Seville diesel with the slanted trunk. In regard to the diesel engine can a turbo be added to it, if not can a Duramax diesel be installed? Is there an aftermarket filter water seperater available for the '81 engine? Thanks

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

You can add a turbo to anything depending on your check book!! Theres no need to add a water seperator. the fuel supply tanks dont hold water and the new reformulated diesel doesn't cause the water issue. RACOR used to be the supplier of these filters but because they were so good at filtering the the general public didnt change the filter too often, they caused RESTRICTIONS AND LOSS OF POWER. Between you and me stay away from this era of diesel! weak head bolts, weak lower end, weak injector pump.

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

I would say no, that DMax is a big engine and HEAVY. The front suspension wouldn't last long at all, I would surmise broken control arms and ball joints to start with.

Turbo it, sure, that is a better way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot70 View Post
    I just joined forgive the wrong location of this question, if so please redirect me. I am considering purchasing a 1981 Seville diesel with the slanted trunk. In regard to the diesel engine can a turbo be added to it, if not can a Duramax diesel be installed? Is there an aftermarket filter water seperater available for the '81 engine? Thanks

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.