79 Seville with 350 and TH400 won't shift into 3rd, any ideas?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
5.0 and 5.7 Discussion, 79 Seville with 350 and TH400 won't shift into 3rd, any ideas? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; So I'm not sure if I should be posting this in this section, but here goes. I've got a turbo ...
    pacificnwrider is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE Yet

79 Seville with 350 and TH400 won't shift into 3rd, any ideas?

So I'm not sure if I should be posting this in this section, but here goes. I've got a turbo 400 transmission in my newly acquired 79 Seville that's not shifting into 3rd. It has a good feeling lockup in reverse, first, and second, but nothing in 3rd. Any ideas? Servo rebuild? shift solenoid? I'm stumped and would love to hear any ideas you guys might have.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re: 79 Seville with 350 and TH400 won't shift into 3rd, any ideas?

This is a 3 speed trans so you should feel 2 shifts as driven. First shift on light throttle at about 15 MPH to 2nd gear, then a second shift to 3rd at about 25 MPH. If these shifts are later at light throttle, I would suspect sticking governor weights. The governor as you know, is held in place with a clamp on the side of the transmission behind the speedo cable connection. Remove cable, remove clamp and pull the governor straight out. The metal weights should flop in and out easily. Also inspect the plastic speedo drive gear for severe wear. If the weights seem free, not binding and the plastic gear looks good, I would then suspect the kick down switch sticking depressed. I can't remember if the kick down switch is on the throttle body or beneath the gas pedal on a bracket. This trans used a vacuum modulator to control upshifts as well. Do you have vacuum to it? When you pull the vacuum hose off it, does trans fluid drip from it? If so, the diaphragm within the modulator is ruptured (torn) replace it. There are no "shift" solenoids as such on this transmission.

pacificnwrider is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE Yet

Carnut...THANK YOU! believe it or not, I've had a fairly difficult time finding good information about troubleshooting this transmission with this symptom. I really appreciate your great information. I'll keep you posted about what it might be. thanks!

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 STS
    U could drop pan and inspect/change filter and fluid if u wish. Since car is new to you. Maybe it has been neglected?

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

Quote Originally Posted by stoveguyy View Post
    U could drop pan and inspect/change filter and fluid if u wish. Since car is new to you. Maybe it has been neglected?
    That's the first step. TH400 failures are very rare so I'm not surprised there is limited info about problems.
    What color is yours? Mine is black on black.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

No 3rd seems to be pretty common with them, when you do a search anyway that is. If filter and fluid doesn't do it get a garage that knows transmissions to look at it.

20 days and no follow up?

One year and no follow up?

Quote Originally Posted by pacificnwrider View Post
    carnut...thank you! Believe it or not, i've had a fairly difficult time finding good information about troubleshooting this transmission with this symptom. I really appreciate your great information. I'll keep you posted about what it might be. Thanks!
    rip!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.