Help with Open Filter ** Brougham
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
5.0 and 5.7 Discussion, Help with Open Filter ** Brougham in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; im putting a open air filter on my brougham. ive seen 100 posts on this site about it but cant ...
    djay6eight is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Help with Open Filter ** Brougham

im putting a open air filter on my brougham. ive seen 100 posts on this site about it but cant seem to find out what to do with the silver hose that connects to the snorkle off of the air cleaner housing. i think something to do with the thermac? it is a silver hose on the bottom of the snorkle w/ a a cap on the top. just remove the snorkle and leave the hose hanging around under the hood? or do i block it or maybe put a seperate filter on it.

As far as the other two line coming off the left and right side of the air cleaner housing; From my understanding just throw some breathers on them? or maybe get rid of the hoses and put the breather on the nipples.

----------

its a 1988 cadillac brougham. 5.0 307

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re: Help with Open Filter ** Brougham

It's not that easy. You can leave the silver paper hose off the car, no harm, it just transfers heat from the exhaust to the snorkle. One of the other two hoses lets the engine vent vapors to the filter and I guess you could stick a breather into the valve cover if there's room but the other lets air into the air cleaner from the smog pump. That hose left disconnected would make a lot of noise on deceleration. The same result would be to simply reinstall the stock air filter lid back on upside down and chrome it! An open air filter on a street driven car is for looks only. No measurable performance value only manly bragging rights and neat noises on acceleration. . Depending on where you live, it could fail a smog test with an aftermarket air filter.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.