Im leaking something, slowly
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
5.0 and 5.7 Discussion, Im leaking something, slowly in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; On my 94 FWB, with the LT-1, Take a look on the lower part of the engine, where the pully ...
    carguy16 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Unhappy Im leaking something, slowly

On my 94 FWB, with the LT-1, Take a look on the lower part of the engine, where the pully is, something looks greasy/dripping from that location, onto a component for the steering system.

You can see the picture I took Saturday, and the picture I took today on Tuesday. Does anyone know what that is, I cant stress how tight money is right now, I'd like to bite the bullet before it get's any worse if need be.

I've got 107k miles on the clock.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

RBraczyk is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Im leaking something, slowly

Looks like normal oil leakage on a 10 year old vehicle. I'll post pics of my undercarriage this weekend.

I cant touch it without jacking the car up from the top or bottom of the car. So I have no idea what it is.

Is there any way to fix that leak? I'm going to be checking the oil level tommorow, I just got the car registered today and insured.

I know an oil change was performed on the day before I bought the car, which caused a burning smell, apparently it was dripping on the exhaust, and light gray smoke and a burning smell was permiating after we opened the hood to investigate the smell.

But, I drove the Car home Saturday, and drove it to have it registered today. There is nothing else dripping on the exhaust, but I did notice more oil I assume dripping on part of the steering componentry.

Thanks for the response, this is a new process for me, I'm so glad I bit the bullet and bought the car. I dont have any regrets so far.

Adam is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): JimmyH

ok, next oil change, put some seal stopper in it. should take care of your problem. i had/have this problem in mine and poured some in and it has been fine ever since. actually, last oil change it was poured in first, and it has that oil burning smell. so pour it in after the change the oil. good luck.

FASSTWOOD is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Fleetwood Brougham

Quote Originally Posted by 93fleetwoodlowlow
    ok, next oil change, put some seal stopper in it. should take care of your problem. i had/have this problem in mine and poured some in and it has been fine ever since. actually, last oil change it was poured in first, and it has that oil burning smell. so pour it in after the change the oil. good luck.
    Don't use seal stopper. The way that stuff works is that it swells up the seals. Eventually your seals will fall apart. I had the same thing on my car its a common thing. Its usually the front crank seal. Do you see oil drips in your driveway? If not I would worry too much about it. To really know where its coming from your gonna have to clean the area up with carb cleaner or brake cleaner or engine brite. I would not clean it until you are ready to repair it though what ever gunk you have there might be hindering a bigger leak...

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

I agree with FASSTWOOD. If you want to fix it do it right. If you want to know what it is for sure you can also get a shop to check it the next time you're there for something.

barge master is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

There is now a small puddle of oil, about the size of 2-3 quarters stuck together, in my drive way.

This car had $1,500.00 worth of part's and labor before I bought the car, I have a piece of paper right here stating so.

Adam is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): JimmyH

that isnt too bad. mine is about the size of a hand. terrible terrible. i put the seal stopper in it but that is only until i can get the engine rebuilt. once that is done, all the seals will be replaced. not to scare you here but i was told by everyone that i would have to get the engine rebuilt becasue the seals had worn down and it would be senseless to put new ones in cause they would still leak. everyone but the dealer. they said just to replace them. so i dont know. i am having it rebuilt anyway. boring it 40 over. yours looks like the front seal. mine is the rear so it might not be so bad to replace yours.

FASSTWOOD is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Fleetwood Brougham

The only tuff part is taking the front crank hub off you can take it off with a regular hamonic balancer puller if you stick a 1/4 inch extension in the hole of the crank. Put it on would require a special tool that threads into the crank to press the hub back on. It could be probaly be done with some treaded rod and stack of washers and some anti-seize lube. I got lucky a friend of mione works at a caddy dealer and borrowed the shop's tool for me to use. I was done with the whole job in less than an hour including replacing the belt tensioner. She was nice and dry after that....

I know the shop, that was part of the sale that sold me the car, said they would do labor for $65.00 an hour, vs. the $80.00 or $85.00 an hour for labor charged at other shops.

As of now, I have an oil leak and a rusty sway bar. I was a little suspicious about the brakes pulling a little in the rain, but I checked the air PSI in my tires, and the tires have 4 different readings: FL 30, FR 32, LR 28, RR 25, I was experiencing some pulling and Im positive I just fixed it. Im going to put some air in the tires tommorow.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.