LT1 engine upgrade'a
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
5.0 and 5.7 Discussion, LT1 engine upgrade'a in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Well a few know that I have a 95 Fleetwood and I want to start to upgrading the engine little ...
    PhatLAc is offline Cadillac Owners Member

LT1 engine upgrade's

Well a few know that I have a 95 Fleetwood and I want to start to upgrading the engine little by little but I'm not sure where to start, I want to start by installing a intake, but I'm not sure where located one or how to ask for one. well any help or tips are welcome and thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

FASSTWOOD is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Fleetwood Brougham

Re: LT1 engine upgrade'a

Phat-lac there are a few ways to go about it you could go with the sewer pipe intake which is the cheapest way to go or with a k&n cold air intake or a raisse intake. Clear image automotive has a pretty reasonably priced intake for our cars. Here is the site Remember if it says 94-95 caprice or impala it will fit our cars...

HOPE THIS HELPS!!!

PhatLAc is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by FASSTWOOD
    Phat-lac there are a few ways to go about it you could go with the sewer pipe intake which is the cheapest way to go or with a k&n cold air intake or a raisse intake. Clear image automotive has a pretty reasonably priced intake for our cars. Here is the site Remember if it says 94-95 caprice or impala it will fit our cars...

HOPE THIS HELPS!!!

Thanks Bro!! our car are pretty fast but a little more wont hurt .
    after the intake what would be a good next step?

what all have you done to your car "engine" wise?

Well my next purchase would of been headers, but I screwed up my motor so i'm in the process of putting another one together. I'm changing the valve springs putting in 1.6 roller rockers, installing a comp cams cc502 cam, I just got the block back from the machine shop. I'll be putting it together this weekend and swinging it in the following weekend.

After I did the air intake I started with my suspension I used KYB shocks and impala SS springd all around. I also put new calipers rotors and rear drums. No sense going fast if you can't stop. I got my computer reprogrammed by www.pcmforless.com and installed a 160 degree thermostat to work with my new program. I changed my rear for an eaton posi unit with 3.73 gears, I got flowmaster 40 series mufflers installed also.

Its a work in progress...

Mr Cowl Hood is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: LT1 engine upgrade's

Well my next purchase would of been headers, but I screwed up my motor so i'm in the process of putting another one together. I'm changing the valve springs putting in 1.6 roller rockers, installing a comp cams cc502 cam, I just got the block back from the machine shop. I'll be putting it together this weekend and swinging it in the following weekend.

After I did the air intake I started with my suspension I used KYB shocks and impala SS springd all around. I also put new calipers rotors and rear drums. No sense going fast if you can't stop. I got my computer reprogrammed by www.pcmforless.com and installed a 160 degree thermostat to work with my new program. I changed my rear for an eaton posi unit with 3.73 gears, I got flowmaster 40 series mufflers installed also.

Its a work in progress...

Is that block a 355 now, 383? Please share your specs.

I understand the CC502 cam is a torquey cam, good for these big cars. Is that right?

Are you doing any head work to go with the cam?

Eaton Pro posi is a good choice. 3.73's will certainly wake it up.

Flowmaster 40's on there??? ....that's not a cadillac anymore. That's going to be so LOUD!

Brian 96 FWB / 96 Impala SS

Its still a 350. As far as the heads go I just went with a 3 angle valve job the blue band valve stem seals and ex612 springs for www.cmotorsports.com The cc502 is supposed to be a tourqey. Hopefully they're right. Instead of getting the cam with the normal 112lsa I wound up getting it with a 114lsa. The 114lsa should give it a smoother idle and broader torque band. The gears swap was an awesome upgrade. The car felt so much lighter even with the tired motor. The 40 series mufflers aren't loud at all due to the fact that I left the resonators on. It sounds very smooth at idle, but it wakes up when you punch the throttle. I can't wait to get the new motor in!!!

Red face Re: LT1 engine upgrade'a

Its still a 350. As far as the heads go I just went with a 3 angle valve job the blue band valve stem seals and ex612 springs for www.cmotorsports.com The cc502 is supposed to be a tourqey. Hopefully they're right. Instead of getting the cam with the normal 112lsa I wound up getting it with a 114lsa. The 114lsa should give it a smoother idle and broader torque band. The gears swap was an awesome upgrade. The car felt so much lighter even with the tired motor. The 40 series mufflers aren't loud at all due to the fact that I left the resonators on. It sounds very smooth at idle, but it wakes up when you punch the throttle. I can't wait to get the new motor in!!!
    Okay, you left the resonators in. Most people don't and it ends up sounding like...well....my Impala with it's .600 lift cam and basically open exhaust.

I thought you meant that your block was being honed to clean it up. That thing should run very nicely.

Brian 96 FWB / 96 Impala SS...still no permamnent sig option, huh?

ShadowLvr400 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Fleetwood

If you want to do LT1 upgrades, here's a useful site. Enjoy. (Sorry to link to another forum, but they have the info all there.)

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31

(Edit: Might help if I put the link in.)

92brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

ok heres a question....say i did the lt1-lt4 conversion with used intake manifold, gaskets, 58mm tb, cams, 1.8 rockers? would i screw the engine up? would my hp jump from 260 directly to the claimed 400+???? or is it more than that? cause i kno the lt1's used in the vettes had over 300...and cadillac detuned it to put in the fleetwood...how would u retune it?

1.8 rockers? I think that would be to much for stock heads... Your priority would be the exhaust the biggest restriction on our cars. The way our car are detuned is by the cam and programming ( I believe ) but a corvette cam wouldn't be good because of our cars weight.

jcp123 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Like someone above said, gears are pretty much the best bang for your buck. You'd love how fast that LT/1 spools up with 3.73's.

Intake and a decent exhaust are also nice mods. Stock units are usually a little underwhelming.

1.8 rockers would not necessarily a bad idea; it gives extra lift and if I recall correctly, a little bit extra duration at the valve, which wouldn't be a bad idea. But I am not 100% on the extra lift part.

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

K&N FIPK, 1LE elbow, 180 deg T-stat, custom 2-1/2" exhaust w/3-chamber FlowMasters (no resonators), Detroit Locker diff. w/3.73 gears, Reprogrammed the PCM myself w/LT1-Edit software*.
    All this equals 14.5 sec. 1/4 mile. 15mpg mixed driving, 22mpg Highway.
    There ARE cheaper ways to do the same things but you WILL sacrifice some performance by cutting corners.

(*)This is only my list of actual drivetrain (performance) mods

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

Kat, how loud would you say the detroit locker is?

Cool Re: LT1 engine upgrade'a

Quote Originally Posted by 92brougham
    ok heres a question....say i did the lt1-lt4 conversion with used intake manifold, gaskets, 58mm tb, cams, 1.8 rockers? would i screw the engine up? would my hp jump from 260 directly to the claimed 400+???? or is it more than that? cause i kno the lt1's used in the vettes had over 300...and cadillac detuned it to put in the fleetwood...how would u retune it?

They don't make 400+ hp. I'm not sure where GM got that idea but I too, have seen that claim before.

To get 400+ rwhp you need a monster cam and well ported heads on top of a stroked/bored LT1, like a 383.

However, if you're looking for more power try the Comp 227 cam or the GM 845 cam -- both good with stock heads. BTW this Fleetwood motor is the same as an Impala SS motor down to the heads so what works for heavy Impalas will work for even heavier Fleetwoods.

The 300 hp vette motor you're thinking of is the Grand Sport LT4 made for 1996 and those dyno out to ~300 at the wheels. That's with the LT4 cam, not the LT4 HOT cam. Then power can jump to ~325 or so.

The cams I mentioned are better for driveability and will make about the same power. The LT4 Hot cam is just a little older technology.

Stroker motors make nice torque which is what our Caddy's REALLY need. Just some thoughts.

Red face Re: LT1 engine upgrade'a

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123

1.8 rockers would not necessarily a bad idea; it gives extra lift and if I recall correctly, a little bit extra duration at the valve, which wouldn't be a bad idea. But I am not 100% on the extra lift part.

The 1.8 rockers, let alone 1.6's will add lift, not necessarily duration. It is NOT a good idea to just install those on your stock heads. You really ought to consider a fresh set of springs that can handle up to 0.550 lift first. Then all is good! :coolgleam

I'm planning to install my old set of 1.6's with a new set of Crane springs and I'll see if I can dyno before and after numbers and post for this list.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.