LT1 engine upgrade'a - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
5.0 and 5.7 Discussion, LT1 engine upgrade'a in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Did you ever get the 1.6's on? Originally Posted by Mr Cowl Hood The 1.8 rockers, let alone 1.6's will ...
    N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

Re: LT1 engine upgrade'a

Did you ever get the 1.6's on?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cowl Hood
    The 1.8 rockers, let alone 1.6's will add lift, not necessarily duration. It is NOT a good idea to just install those on your stock heads. You really ought to consider a fresh set of springs that can handle up to 0.550 lift first. Then all is good! :coolgleam

I'm planning to install my old set of 1.6's with a new set of Crane springs and I'll see if I can dyno before and after numbers and post for this list.

Brian 96 FWB / 96 Impala SS

Mr Cowl Hood is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thumbs up Re: LT1 engine upgrade'a

No I did not. It's running so well I hate to screw with it. I DID swap out the 2.73 gear for my old 3.08 and added an Eaton Pro posi. I also fabbed up a PVC CAI with K&N cone, Iridium plugs, Bilstein shocks, 96 Impala springs and a brake job. That's about it.

It really handles well and getting 18/24 mpg these days is nice too!

Brian 96 FWB / 96 Impala SS

CTS-BV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V, Intake and Exhaust Mods, 365 rwhp / 360 rwtq

Re: LT1 engine upgrade'a

Quote Originally Posted by 92brougham View Post
    ok heres a question....say i did the lt1-lt4 conversion with used intake manifold, gaskets, 58mm tb, cams, 1.8 rockers? would i screw the engine up? would my hp jump from 260 directly to the claimed 400+???? or is it more than that? cause i kno the lt1's used in the vettes had over 300...and cadillac detuned it to put in the fleetwood...how would u retune it?
    The short answer is, uh, no.

The long answer is that the LT4 packages never made 400 Hp. You may have that figure confused from the LS6 Vette motors in the Z06's and CTS-V's (2004). I believe GM claimed the LT4 engines made 330 Hp on the Grand Sports (1996). The LT4 conversion kit is pretty much a joke.

LT4 heads are nice, but you can get a good used set of Al LT1 heads and have them race ported, complete for about $1300 and then add a Comp 227 cam or GM 845 cam and make some much needed torque. RWHP would probably go from about 215 Hp > 315 or 325 Hp. Same, if not more on Tq.

Good luck!

CTS-BV

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.