Need help ..
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
5.0 and 5.7 Discussion, Need help .. in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have started conversion from 350 5.7 to 350 i ttook out of 74 impala... I have three issues... #1 ...
    Georgiaboi is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Need help ..

I have started conversion from 350 5.7 to 350 i ttook out of 74 impala...
    I have three issues...
    #1 the tranny will the cadillac tranny hold up...
    #2 fuel pump issues if i keep caddy pump...(regulator or electric Pump)
    #3 I keep hearing issues with tranny and other things with computer... do . I need computer if i'm using totally carb motor no intake conversion...
    Last one what othe rissues do i need to consider...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

FASSTWOOD is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Fleetwood Brougham

Re: Need help ..

What kind of caddy are you putting it in. I dont think the trany will work. use the tranny from the 74. You wont need the computer.

Georgiaboi is offline Cadillac Owners Member

1991 brougham

barge master is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

I dunno Fasstwood, the tranny ought to bolt right up, but the older engines flexplate will be larger. I'm not sure if it clears the bellhousing. He will need an early 80s flexplate,[small dia. 2pc. rear main]. I'd try to keep the original tranny. Swapping that will be another set of problems that will be worse than the engine.
    Another thing worth noting, I put a pre-77 [large frame] 350 into an 84 Caprice and found the brackets on the engine were wider. They didn't look too much different at a glance, but they wouldn't land on the pads on the frame. I had to jack it back out, and pull the brackets off the 305 I'd taken out.
    You don't want to try and run that carb on the TBI fuel pump, too much pressure. You're probably gonna need to get a regular sending unit from an older car for your gas tank and get that pump out of there. You're retrofitting that baby to the 1970s. Even with the ease of Chevy interchange you're gonna get some surprises.

evilrussian is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '83 SDV, '91 SDV

What tranny do you have? I've got a 2004r which has a BOP bolt pattern and bolts up to just about any GM v8 or v6 engine of that era. Mine was connected to the HT4100 which I swapped for '91 350 later. I had to toss the TBI and go with the Q-Jet carb which is fed by original electric pump, it's only 10 psi if I'm not mistaken. You'd have to check how much pressure does your TBI have though...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.