TBI to MPFI conversion for 1993 fleetwood?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
5.0 and 5.7 Discussion, TBI to MPFI conversion for 1993 fleetwood? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Does anyone know if there is a Throttle body fuel injection to Multiport fuel injection conversion kit that would work ...
    hlabrada is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Does anyone know if there is a Throttle body fuel injection to Multiport fuel injection conversion kit that would work on a 1993 fleetwood (V8 5.7 liter engine)? Or is my only option swapping out for a 5.7 liter chevy small block and utilizing an edelbrok conversion kit?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

illumina is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 Buick Regal LS - '91 Caddy Seville - '87 Caddy Seville!

Re: TBI to MPFI conversion for 1993 fleetwood?

you may want to look into the accell kit. not sure if it will come with an intake manifold though. but hell, a multi-port manifold for a 350 should be easy enough to find. one thing though, the kit wont come cheap, around 2000 dinero i beleive.

I have a 1993 Fleetwood with the 5.7 liter v8 engine. The car has throttle body fuel injection and puts out around 185 hp and torque is 300@2400 rpm. Would like to convert to Multi-point fuel injection system. Edelbrock has a TBI to MPFI conversion kit for the chevy/gmc 5.7 liter engine. Now i have been told that the 1993 cadillac engine is just a stock chevy 5.7 liter engine. Is that true?

Also will i have problems with the computer chip when doing this conversion. Has anyone else done this or found another solution?

do you have a website for that?

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Quote Originally Posted by hlabrada
    Or is my only option swapping out for a 5.7 liter chevy small block and utilizing an edelbrok conversion kit?
    That's what you already have.

thanks thats what i thought....what about the codes, will the same chip set that comes with the edelbrock kit work with the fleetwood?

illumina is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 Buick Regal LS - '91 Caddy Seville - '87 Caddy Seville!

Quote Originally Posted by brougham
    That's what you already have.

now i feel like a real moron. i did'nt see the "5.7" liter in her post. oh well, sorry.

RBraczyk is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

WWW.Jegs.com. SHould be under truck mods i believe. MPFI with manifold goes for i believe 1500-2000 bucks. Yes it will fit, i have the same basic motor in my truck. 1994 Chevy K5 blazer sport.

done a bit more research and yup it should fit on the engine....i guess i have only two worries now....will it fit under the hood(i believe kit raises airfilter 1.5 inches off stock. And more important will the chip from edelbrock work with the cadillac stock computer. When i spoke with the edelbrock tech person he stated the chip was not for a cadillac.......but its the same exact engine as the chevy/gmc trucks.....what gives?

RBraczyk is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Cadillac may have their own spin on the computer so it may be different. What to do is, cut a block of styrofoam 1.75 inches high and place it on the top of the air filter and see if you can shut the hood.

Glen OS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 SRX4 04 DeVille(Traded In) 92 Coupe DeVille-gone

You may also need a new distributor. The engine sets back in the engine bay and the distributor is under the cowl. The stock intake manifold has a large bore hole so the dist. can be removed. All after market manifolds have the smaller hole. The dist will have to be installed at the same time as the manifold.

I own a 92 Olds Custom Cruiser. I looked at that fuel system. The TBI is a good system and can handle a lot of power. My new plan is to stroke the 350 to a 383 with a mild cam. I will probably use the stock TBI with 454 injectors. www.pcmforless.com will customize a chip for GM cars. The B-Body (Impala/Caprice, Roadmaster, Custom Cruiser and the D-Body) sites like their work

yup thats the same answer I got from an after market MPI dealer:

"There are several differences that you would need to change to make our
    system work in your application. First your distributor will not work in our
    manifold as it has a larger diameter shank that goes through the manifold.
    Second you would need to get a truck type ECM as that is all our chips are
    made for. Now the system could be used if you do not loose any functions
    That your current ECM handles."

Richard A. Coyle is offline Cadillac Owners Member

One thought, what about going to a Tuned Port Injection system??

Again you will need to check hood clearance… But it is the best of all worlds, port injection, high torque due to the tuned port part of the system, and it has all the stock goodies as in computer controlled distributor, knock sensor, and a cooled air intakes again thanks to the tuned port setup.

Consider how much power these systems make, they were invented to make a 305 pull like a 350, so on a 350 I think they will pull like a 400.

Plus if you use the Chevy computer there are all those performer chips IF you find you need more power.

And if you really want it all use a MAF system for the most sensitive system for the best gas mileage and power.

If I have sparked any interest check out this site:

http://www.chevythunder.com/index.htm

I am currently building one using a 90 Caddy 5.7 Chevy motor with this system for my 87 Chevy Van, I want the most low end power (the 2200 RPM Peak) and most Gas Mileage humanly possible with a 700r4.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.