got a question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
5.0 and 5.7 Discussion, got a question in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; how well can an LT1 fit into a 93 fwb? would it mount up and bolt to the transmission or ...
    Adam is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): JimmyH

got a question

how well can an LT1 fit into a 93 fwb? would it mount up and bolt to the transmission or would i have to fabricate some things?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

RBraczyk is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: got a question

I don't see why not. Its the same motor...sort of.

ShadowLvr400 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Fleetwood

If I were you, I'd find a wrecked Bubble or FW witht he LT1, strip as much as you can, including engine mounts. Will give you some spare parts for just in case. You might also check for engine mount kits too.

Bubble?

Sorry, Caprice, or Impala. The 92? to 96.

ive been trying to find one around here. there arent any in the junk yards. every two years the sheriffs office has a big impound sale and they sell their old caprices, so ill try and get one there. i would have to fix them because cop cars have a lot of chips and performance parts in them and special transmissions that make them go faster longer, all that stuff is taken out and the engines are disabled.

They disable the vehicles? I don't think so... Add to that, there's not a lot of performance parts put into the cars... It's just tougher suspension and frame peices, gutted sound system, and some intake and chip work on the motors. My buddy picked up a FHP Caprice, and it wasnt disabled or anything.

they do down here. i was going to buy one a year ago, it was a 96 Caprice, it was at the SCSO auction. before the auction started they guy who ran it told us that the cop cars dont run and are disabled because all of the chips are taken out and they disable the engines (not while doing it though). he gave us the keys because my dad didnt believe him (cause dad works with the sheriffs office) and they didnt start and not because of the battery. lost the auction on it . when it was over the cars bought were towed out and taken to get fixed.

Re: got a question for LT1

update. ive found an LT1. its in a junk yard. the car it came out of was totaled so they popped out the motor. thats the only thing left. the owner says he doesnt know how well it runs but it should do fine once he changes the oil and seals and all. its out of a 96 Caprice. he told me i might have to get a new driveline & transmission because it has more horsepower and motor mounts (cause he isnt too sure how it will fit). is this true or is he just trying to get some money. has anyone done this before?

The LT1 will carry more horsepower than your original 307. But the torque will likely be similar. The LT1 is rated 260 horse, 330 torque. The 307, if I recall right, was like 140 horse, but torqued out to 346 or so. The guy is trying to sell you more stuff of course, but... It's stuff that will likely come in handy later on. I'd recommend picking up the entire driveline if you happen to have the chance. If not, your original tranny could probably be built to take the added power, but I'm not sure what you have stock. Know your tranny code?

no no no its got a 350 its just not the LT1. it is still a 5.7 liter, i believe its got 180 hp and 300 ft lbs torque. everything is stock. i dont know the tranny code, how do you get it? is it in the manual? also, a friend of mine told me that it would be cheaper to get it rebuilt and get it bored out to whatever than to switch motors out. do you think i should do that instead? i actually want about 350 to 400 hp. i dont race my car i just wanna smoke honda boys when they come up and rev me off. i can already beat most of em but i want be leaving them in the dust and i wanna have bragging rights. it lugs a little on the take off and i dont wanna give em the edge cause there are a few ricer cars down here that can smoke muscle cars.

To take your original 350 and get it to push 400 horses, not impossible. Bore it out to 383, or more if you want. A high flow carb (if your stock 350 is carb'd) maybe a bit of head work. The most important thing you'll likely be able to do is gearing. The 93 FWB I THINK is a 2.92 gear ratio. Stepping up to a 3.23 or 3.73 would get a better movement off the line.

Now, working the LT1. It has 1 difficulty in the way, but overall, the same things that can be done to your original 350 can be done to an LT1. The annoyance is the Optispark. That ignition system has some unpleasant rumors about it. The advantage to the LT1 though, is that it's Fuel Injected, which makes it a happy cantidate for a supercharger. For about 3-5k, you can easily take 400-500 horses from either motor, and have it streetable, and reliable. For $750 you can get that for about 30 seconds, but that much nitrous would almost certainly do damage.

now, if you have a 350 in there stock, and you want to put an LT1, I have good news. It will be so easy to bolt the LT1 in, that you'll probably stand back afterwards and say, "Ok, somethings wrong, that went TOO well." The wiring and such will be a bit harder, but then wiring always is.

the 350 thats in it is fuel injected single port the LT1 is duel port. so would it be simpler to bore this thing out or drop the LT1 in it? thats my question. i got the money either way. redoing the wiring sounds like it is gonna be a bitch if i put this new motor in. thanks for the help. sounds like you know your stuff.

My question is why the hell a 93 caddy is still carborated. Oh and you may need to replace fuel pump and some other fun stuff if it is carborated.

The 93 wasn't Carb'd, somehow I got off focus, and was thinking we were working a 87 FWB or something... The wiring won't be too bad on the 96 LT1, but I will admit, it is beyond my personal skills. I'm of the standpoint, the more computer stuff you have to deal with, the harder it gets. Despite being a decent hacker, and computer junkie for years. Don't like playing with too much engine management programs myself. If you can find someone who knows how to get the computers to play, you're in great shape. If you're working on your own, I'll offer the advice I can, but getting into engine comp programming is a bit beyond my skills. I'm more of a general wrench.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.