LT1 questions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
5.0 and 5.7 Discussion, LT1 questions in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; What kind of tranny/motor mount/other issues would I run into with swapping a LT1 into my '82 coupe deville? What ...
    sillybastard is offline Cadillac Owners Member

LT1 questions

What kind of tranny/motor mount/other issues would I run into with swapping a LT1 into my '82 coupe deville? What is the best price I can expect to find a LT1 for? Trying to find all the information I can on the subject really. Anyone done a similar swap?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Cadillac Bob is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: LT1 questions

Quote Originally Posted by sillybastard
    What kind of tranny/motor mount/other issues would I run into with swapping a LT1 into my '82 coupe deville? What is the best price I can expect to find a LT1 for? Trying to find all the information I can on the subject really. Anyone done a similar swap?
    Yeah, I put a supercharged LT1 from a 95 vette into my 83 coupe this spring. Motor mounts arent a big deal, the 4.1 mounts will be completely different so you will just have to get some small block chevy mounts and weld in. As far as crossmember, I used a 4L60 trans and it damn near bolted right in. Had to weld a very small bracket to it in order for it to bolt up, the mounting holes were less than an inch off. The shift linkage lines up perfectly, and the original caddy driveshaft actually fit the 4L60 tailpiece like it was meant for it. You will need to get the driveshaft cut down just a bit though. If you plan on getting duals put on the car, you will need to get the crossmember modified a bit.. but most good exhaust shops can do that pretty easily.

As far as a price on a LT1, you probably could find a complete engine and tranny for $1000-$2000 depending on miles and condition. Be prepared though to spend another $1000 or so for the correct PCM, wiring harness and PCM programming to make it work though. If you get the driveline from a junkyark, be sure to grab the mass air sensor also, otherwise thats another $200+ bucks. Also you will need to replace the stock fuel pump with a high volume fuel pump. The stocker only puts out like 7-11 psi, and the LT1 needs 40+psi.

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

You're probably better off (your wallet will be anyway) with a 500/472 Caddy. Use the motor mounts from a 77-81 model, pick up a TH400 and good rear and you're rollin. It shouldn't be hard to do the whole swap for under a grand.

What's a rebuilt th400 tranny cost? A reman 500? I'm hoping to put a 0 miles block in.

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

TH400s are relatively cheap, since there are tons of them around. I don't know about a remanufactured 500, but I took a look on google and it seems they can be had for 850 short block/1250 long block at the first site I ran accross.

This might be some inspiration:
    http://www.carcraft.com/eventcoverag...al/index5.html

Wow, that is awesome. Now I know what to look forward to. Thank you for the link and pricing. I'm sure I will have 1,001 more questions before I have this thing together. My first engine swap, in fact, my first serious car project ever.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

If you want to use an LT1 the easiest way to do it is probably to find a a car for sale cheap that already has it to get all the parts from.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.