89 Brougham gas smell...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
5.0 and 5.7 Discussion, 89 Brougham gas smell... in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hey fellas, I'm in need of some help. My 89 Brougham, 5.0 v8 (Olds 307) is having some issues. After ...
    AElayyat is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 85 Fleetwood Brougham, 90 Brougham 5.7, 05 Deville DTS

89 Brougham gas smell...

Hey fellas, I'm in need of some help. My 89 Brougham, 5.0 v8 (Olds 307) is having some issues.

After driving the car for about 10 min & I park the car, come back to it, fire it back up I am smelling gas. I also noticed that as I am driving I smell gas. I have not drove the vehicle since this problem poped up yesterday. I think the gas smell after being driven had been around for a little while, but I only drive the car on week-ends.

Any suggestions on what the issue may be. I have not got a chance to take the air cleaner off & look around, but any specific issues/known problems I should look for?

Thanks in advance guys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

VortecCaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1990 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Re: 89 Brougham gas smell...

Start with the basics. Check injector pod first. Check gas lines and gas tank. Also take a look at the charcoal canister. Could be gas fumes escaping from there.

Slacker is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1987 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Agreed with above. Check if it's a gas vapor vent leak or a gas leak. My 307 just started to have the same issue. It ends up my carb is leaking. I'm waiting for a rebuild kit to come in so I can rebuild it.

AElayyat is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 85 Fleetwood Brougham, 90 Brougham 5.7, 05 Deville DTS

OK guys, I will start with the simple stuff first & I'll report back. Thanks for the tips.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Very common to have a small leak where the fuel inlet pipe attaches to the carb. Run your finger under the fitting on the carb, most likely it will be damp with fuel. Requires 2 wrenches to loosen then retighten. When the small inlet fuel filter's been replaced most people use the wrong wrench and leave the larger inlet nut looose or they tear the thin gasket behind the larger nut.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.