1992 Cadillac Brougham Starting Issues??????????
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
5.0 and 5.7 Discussion, 1992 Cadillac Brougham Starting Issues?????????? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I recently purchased a 1992 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham RWD with the 5.0 Chevy engine. On the drive home car was ...
    CaddyGI is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 Brougham

Question 1992 Cadillac Brougham Starting Issues??????????

I recently purchased a 1992 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham RWD with the 5.0 Chevy engine.

On the drive home car was hesitating and would only go when gas pedal floored and only start this way.
    After installing new plugs, new wires, new distributor, car wouldn't start at all.
    Found out to much gas is flooding replaced fuel regulator and same problem
    had throttle body rebuilt and new injectors car ran for ten minutes or so then engine idle started to pick up and car eventually flooded out, also noticed catalytic converter turned red hot. Haven't tried to start again since i have to clean the plugs of excessive gas and build up each time.
    I know its alot but any help

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

creeker is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t

Re: 1992 Cadillac Brougham Starting Issues??????????

Quote Originally Posted by CaddyGI View Post

I recently purchased a 1992 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham RWD with the 5.0 Chevy engine.

On the drive home car was hesitating and would only go when gas pedal floored and only start this way.
    After installing new plugs, new wires, new distributor, car wouldn't start at all.
    Found out to much gas is flooding replaced fuel regulator and same problem
    had throttle body rebuilt and new injectors car ran for ten minutes or so then engine idle started to pick up and car eventually flooded out, also noticed catalytic converter turned red hot. Haven't tried to start again since i have to clean the plugs of excessive gas and build up each time.
    I know its alot but any help

What's the mileage?.

mjs182004 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 91 Brougham d' Elegance, 06 STS-V

Have you changed the fuel filter?

VortecCaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1990 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

You may want to cheeck the EGR valve and its vacuum lines. One way to tell would be to disconnect the vacuum line going into the EGR itself. I had this happen and it threw no codes at all.

CaddyGI is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 Brougham

116,000 miles on car

Haven't checked egr valve will look into it
    Gas Filter was replaced during tune-up

AJxtcman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Northstar Tuner

I replaced a lot of coils back in the day on these cars.

steelybill is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '85 Fleetwood FWD

Maybe a long shot here, but the converter may be part of the problem (??) The fuel injector pulses are a function of the computer (ECM) and the distributor module. It may well be the module getting close to failure (been there) The fact that the idle picked up speed seems like it went lean, but that doesn't agree with what you say about flooding etc. Idle air control is supposed to control that speed I believe ( it's screwed in the side of the throttle body)
    How about a leak in the injector seal ring(s) in the throttle body ?
    If the throttle position sensor is wacky the ECM wont control idle.

The other common problem with all cars; leaky/old/cracked vacuum hoses. Do a GOOD visual inspection of everything, and push/pull things to make sure they are secure and not loose, cracked etc.

Like VortecCaddy said, the EGR valve may be open at idle (not good/ stuck etc) and cause a rough idle.
    Lots of stuff can affect this problem.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.