Replacing Spark Plugs
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
5.0 and 5.7 Discussion, Replacing Spark Plugs in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; The 93 Fleetwood started running a little rough earlier this week - idle became rough, not as much power as ...
    jey
    jey is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Fleetwood Brougham V4P

Replacing Spark Plugs

The 93 Fleetwood started running a little rough earlier this week - idle became rough, not as much power as usual, etc. It was a regular throb that varied exactly with the speed of the engine. I figured I was missing a cylinder or something - definitely an ignition problem - it was too regular/consistent to be fuel delivery on a TBI car.

I have recently changed the distributor cap, rotor, and plug wires, so it was time to go after the plugs themselves. Had to wait a day for Advance Auto to order in AC Delco platinum plugs (OEM replacement), but at least they could do it (Autozone couldn't get them).

Was worried I couldn't get it done this weekend due to a big cold front and then the remnants of hurricane Ike, but Saturday turned out to be a great day, so I got under there and changed them all out.

Here are the old plugs - cylinders 7, 5, 3, 1 and top and 8 through 2 on bottom:

Looks like cylinder 8 was my problem. Car runs smooth now!

Next on the list is a coolant flush - it's looking a little dirty in the overflow reservoir.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re: Replacing Spark Plugs

Looks like #8 is pushing a little oil thru the valve guide seal.

jey

Yeah - it's not consuming any oil that I can tell. I wonder if the amount of oil getting through is a problem, and if there is anything I should worry about / address in the near future.

The next maintenance item on my list is the coolant flush - dang this thing takes a ton of coolant (14-16 quarts!). I'll have to pick up a few jugs of distilled water on my next trip to the parts store, and get some of those supplement pellets too.

Slacker is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1987 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

I'd say that if the leak continues, it'll just foul up the new plug eventually and you'll be hit with the same problem down the road. You can push it off, but it'll one day need to be addressed.

Also, if the engine is an Olds 307 or a Chevy 305/350, to my knowledge you shouldn't need the pellets. I thought that was only for the HT4100-4500-4900 engines...

jey

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker View Post
    Also, if the engine is an Olds 307 or a Chevy 305/350, to my knowledge you shouldn't need the pellets. I thought that was only for the HT4100-4500-4900 engines...
    It was in the Factory Service Manual so I put one pellet in there. Didn't do a full system flush since the fluid looked good (it was just the overflow tank that was nasty).

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Antifreeze becomes corrosive over time regardless of color. 2 year interval changes are recommended to keep this from occuring. The use of the sealant pellets is recommended especially on the Olds engine. They had a tendency to corrode the aluminum intake where it joins the cast iron cyl. head at the front or rear corners because of late antifreeze replacement

jey

Yeah all I did was drain the radiator/overflow and refill essentially. I started to find the knock sensor and block plug to do a full system drain/refill but got lazy. I figure the radiator flush is enough preventative maintenance for now, though I've heard people theorize that if you just do that every year it's almost as good as doing a block drain/refill every 2 years.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.