my 93 cadillac fleetwood turns on for a few seconds and truns right off need advice
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
5.0 and 5.7 Discussion, my 93 cadillac fleetwood turns on for a few seconds and truns right off need advice in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; hey if your reading this i greatly appreciate ur help for this subject.....lately ive had trouble with my Cadillac 93 ...
    theme106 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Thumbs down my 93 cadillac fleetwood turns on for a few seconds and truns right off need advice

hey if your reading this i greatly appreciate ur help for this subject.....lately ive had trouble with my Cadillac 93 fleetwood it use to run good but now it will turn on and stay on for a bit but then as soon as i pop it into reverse or to drive it turns right off after a few seconds, even on idle the problem occurs... ive taken the following steps but still the same problem occurs ive changes the spark plugs, the spark plug wires and the distributor cap and the rotor for it, also some one told me that it may be the distributor itself could that be true? but im all out of ideas and on the count of that the car only goes about 5 feet and turns off i have no choice but to leave it where it is so if anyone has any idea as to what the problem could be please any advice at this point is good advice please help me form ending up junking the car out of frustration and if this has happend to u please tell me what u did to fix it

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

andres1333 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: my 93 cadillac fleetwood turns on for a few seconds and truns right off need advi

Did you check the fuel pump or filter??? also dont junk it part it out if you just gonna give up on it a lot of those body part are hard to find........and if thats something you don't want to do hell give it to me...lol

urbanski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

Re: my 93 cadillac fleetwood turns on for a few seconds and truns right off need advi

engine?

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

Maybe the oil pressure sensor, but I dont know if it would start at all. If its running good but just cuts off, I would think its a sensor or pump. If its running rough, then I would think distributer cap or wires or something like that. Is it a brougham?

425 Dual Quad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '94, '93 & '76 Fleetwood Broughams. '77 & '73 Coupe deVilles

Hi there!

I see you've just joined so welcome to the board. See my post - I've got a similar issue. You could try searching for trouble codes - in my post I've listed how.

To make you feel better why don't you tell us a little about your car - how you came to buy it, why, how long you've had it and what it's like. How about some pics??

best wishes, Nick

ive had the car for a year now and it was running fine till a few days im sure that it isnt an engine problem it starts but doesnt stay on for too long and just cuts right off...it was driving smooth but recently when i would start it and go to like 20 m/pr it would kick back like if it had a problem switching from fist to second gear but that would happen only once and a while but now its bad i gues u could say any other ideas maybe?

ohh and also its not the brougham but its the same type of model year is a 93 rwd.... i dont have the northstar engine in it but its a 5.7 350 engine small block in it i would go to cadillac to see the problem but they will charge an arm and a leg ..lol..

and also i was reading some post of other problems that ppl have and i was thinking about electrical because now i dont know if this could be related lately when i try to switch on the lights in the car sometimes they dont urn on but then they do also i guess u could say that they come and go

MadCaddie69 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1990 Cadillac Brougham, My mom's 2001 Cadillac Deville DTS

Try Seafoam engine treatment. Plus, if you're serious about gettin rid of the car, DEFINITELY talk to me!

well that problem is that i did need a new fuel pump got one but then found out i had an oil leak and that it messed up the distributor so now i need a new one too wat a problem this has been nothing but a ****ing headache

MadCaddie69 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1990 Cadillac Brougham, My mom's 2001 Cadillac Deville DTS

Quote Originally Posted by theme106 View Post
    well that problem is that i did need a new fuel pump got one but then found out i had an oil leak and that it messed up the distributor so now i need a new one too wat a problem this has been nothing but a ****ing headache
    I hear ya. I've been without my car for over a year now! That really pisses me off! Especially after all the money I've spent on repairs! But I have absolutely NO intentions of gettin rid of it! I was rasied on big bodies and that's how I'm rolling! If anything, I want an older one.

for real i love the big body i have after driving that car i cant see or feel myself driving another car their is no better feeling that turning that wheel a few time when cutting corners..lol...

Slacker is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1987 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Quote Originally Posted by theme106 View Post
    Just a quick question... how did the oil leak mess up your distributor? It's literally just a gear on a shaft that spins. The tail end is soaked in oil... Unless your leak made you run out of oil... I'm lost.

425 Dual Quad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '94, '93 & '76 Fleetwood Broughams. '77 & '73 Coupe deVilles

Theme106
    I had a similar problem. Mine didn't run smoothly, stumbled and has no pick up. Then it wouldn't start either - it just wouldn't turn over.

I traced this down to a broken ground cable from the battery and probably the braided earth strap at the back of the engine was broken (if there is one) as the engine it was rocking a lot when running. So all the starter current was going through the small residual power earth wire mounted to the fender. I guess it was getting hot and not passing current after 20 secs or so. Now the starter spins fine but it won't start.

It could be that the ingition system wasn't running right becuase it wasn't getting correct amperage through poor grounding.

Mine now cranks and then spits fuel vapour out of the top of the throttle body. We'll remove and clean the plugs and see how we go from there. Had new wires and distributor cap 12 months ago and it gets infrequent usage so I do't think these are faulty.

Plus I found the AIR pump is seized solid and the wires to it were unplugged. The AIR pump shouldn't make too much of a difference since it's probably been like that for a few years but I'm going to replace it anyway.

Given it won't start now and the distributor has been moved around the place so I'm not sure what the inital timing is.

So, I'd check all your ground connections, including those underneath the engine to make sure they are good and contacting on clean, bare, rust free metal at both ends of the cables and take it from there.

regards, Nick

Fleet93 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

its gonna be ur anti theft system

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.