1990 Brougham 307 V8
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
5.0 and 5.7 Discussion, 1990 Brougham 307 V8 in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hello, everybody! It' been a while since I've been on. Well, here's the update. After 6 months, I have somebody ...
    MadCaddie69 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1990 Cadillac Brougham, My mom's 2001 Cadillac Deville DTS

1990 Brougham 307 V8

Hello, everybody! It' been a while since I've been on. Well, here's the update. After 6 months, I have somebody through a friend that is working on my car. He picked it up last Saturday. H's gonna check the 307 to find out why it won't start. I hope he does. It might be a fuel pump, bad ignition coil, timing, etc. If it all works out, I'll have my baby back. Can't wait!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: 1990 Brougham 307 V8

Update: It was the timing chain! All this time AND money! What the flip?!!

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

Chain or cam gear? Not that those ever would fail.....

From what the guy said, pretty much the whole thing. He says it was pretty worn. It happens. BTW, how have you been, dude?

I am doing good, been out of town some, busy with work (got a new computer system that is giving us fits) and just not having as much time as I want to for "play"....

I pulled the original timing set of out of my 307 @ 150K and it looked like new. I guess my dad's driving and 2.14's does wonders for that. I honestly think the roller cam engines helped make them live a lot longer, that is one weak spot in Olds, the cam is forced into the block with the lifter taper and once the cam wears, the cam walks around and will wipe the distrib gear and the timing set will get beat on and the fiberglass one will start chipping teeth.

The 85-up 307's and diesel 350's don't have the issue when they went to rollers....

theme106 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

hey wats up i just got into this n i have some wat of the same problem my 93 fleetwood was running good until recent ly but now it will only stay on for a few minuets and then turn off and sometimes has problems tarting do u think it might be the same problem i have done this to it changed spark plugs and sparkplug wires, changed distributor cap and coil checked the timing to make sure the fireing order was correct but still nothing im starting to think that its getting worse as time goes on ..HELP me out here im fresh outta ideas

Quote Originally Posted by theme106 View Post
    hey wats up i just got into this n i have some wat of the same problem my 93 fleetwood was running good until recent ly but now it will only stay on for a few minuets and then turn off and sometimes has problems tarting do u think it might be the same problem i have done this to it changed spark plugs and sparkplug wires, changed distributor cap and coil checked the timing to make sure the fireing order was correct but still nothing im starting to think that its getting worse as time goes on ..HELP me out here im fresh outta ideas
    Hmmmm......... I think your fuel line may need to be cleaned out. MY mom's DTS does that sometimes too. Buy a can of Seafoam engine treatment. Remove the vacuum line. Pour half of the Seafoam treatment in a cup. Start your engine. Let the vacuum line suck the Seafoam from the cup. Then pour the rest of it in your oil reserve. Turn your car off for 5 minutes. Then start it up and rev it to 3000 rpm. Keep it that way for about 5 to 10 minutes. The dirt comes out of the exhaust. Then Voila!! You're good. Try that first and see what happens..

So the timing chain was replaced, but the car still won't start. This is ridiculous! All this time, I've been waiting for the day that my pride and joy would be resurrected but I'm not getting nothing. Some say the carburetor might be cooked. When I turned the ignition, gas would spit out of it as an escape. However, I had it completely rebuilt. So that can't be the case. Anybody have a clue to what might need to be done?

theme106 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

try wat happend with mine might be the fule pump that might be the reason for the gas but im just guessing at this point any help is good help i guess

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

Gas shooting out of carb? Sounds like the distributer could be off a tooth or 180 off. So your mechanic gave the car back to you not running?

Quote Originally Posted by theme106 View Post
    try wat happend with mine might be the fule pump that might be the reason for the gas but im just guessing at this point any help is good help i guess
    I'll have him check the fuel pump. The timing chain was definitely wornout! The car hasn't been running for a year.

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac_al View Post
    Gas shooting out of carb? Sounds like the distributer could be off a tooth or 180 off. So your mechanic gave the car back to you not running?
    No, he's still got the car. He said he'll fiddle with the distributor to make sure it's in correctly. We'll see what happen. I miss my car so bad. I have absolutely no desire of gettin rid of it!

If dizzy was dropped in backwards, swap all the plug wires across from each other.

Quote Originally Posted by N0DIH View Post
    If dizzy was dropped in backwards, swap all the plug wires across from each other.
    Some dude told me that he had the same problem with a Caprice. He changed his timing chain and the car still wouldn't start. Come to find out, his ECM fuse was blown. He said he changed it and it started right up! Do you think I can try that?

If blown, the carb'd 307 won't stop running, it will run pig rich, but won't stop running. If the HEI fuse, yes, it will stop running. But ECM fuse it will go rich and fixed to base timing (10 degrees or so)

Oh, and IIRC on the 307, the dizzy turns the opposite way as a Chevy, so make sure the wires are going around the same.

http://www.oldsmobility.com/tuneup.htm

The rotor turns CCW, and the wires should be 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 going also CCW. Chevy it is CW and the rotor turns CW.

This is from the side of the cam the dist gear sits.

Easy way to check. Pull #1 plug, pull cap off. Stick finger in the plug hole lightly, have someone bump over engine till you feel compression, note where rotor is pointing, that is where #1 is.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.