K&N air filters/ opinions invited
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
5.0 and 5.7 Discussion, K&N air filters/ opinions invited in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Has anyone here tried the K&N air filters on a 305CID/carbureted engine? Their website suggests using one *might* add horsepower, ...
    Warren_R is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1989 Brougham D'Elegance

Question K&N air filters/ opinions invited

Has anyone here tried the K&N air filters on a 305CID/carbureted engine? Their website suggests using one *might* add horsepower, assuming engine to be in good operating condition.

Before springing the $$$ for one, I'd very much like to collect some opinions on that

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MisterBlue is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: K&N air filters/ opinions invited

The K&N filters are just high flow units, designed to flow a little more air than the pleated-paper (stock) unit. You can usually expect a slight gain in peak horsepower (maybe 5-7 hp), possibly with a slight increase in mpg, as well.

I use them on all my vehicles.

Thanx for the info, I'll give it a shot. My FWB is pretty spry for it's size & weight, but a bit extra HP is certainly welcome

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

The only real drawback to the K&N is the ability to filter isn't near as good as a paper filter. It DOES allow a significant amount more dirt through. So if long life of the engine is expected, a K&N takes the far backseat to a good old AC Delco paper filter. In most cases the paper filters don't cause that much if any significant flow restriction. The flow problems are elsewhere in the air intake system. I tested a large Vortec K&N on my LT1 vs the stock AC Delco paper and I could NOT detect any restriction in the LT1 intake tract (measured at the Opti vent line goes in). I could NOT see any difference in vacuum readings (dual vacuum gauges) pre throttle body and post throttle body with a K&N or a AC Delco paper filter. Vacuum readings were near zero, which is indicitive of no significant restriction at all. If the paper filter was a problem @ high flow a vacuum reading would have been seen.

Lightbulb Re: K&N air filters/ opinions invited

Well ... might be interesting to (somehow) arrange the two filters in sequence, wouldn't that offer the benefits of both while canceling out drawbacks? Not being a veteran mechanic, no idea myself how I'd do that. Does seem worth pondering, though.

Amsoil had a good video comparing the dirt ability and airflow of the K&N, Amsoil and a paper filter. Very interesting. K&N lists an Amsoil filter for comparison on their box, it isn't even the same kind they compared the K&N to. Nothing like lying to make sales....

The Amsoil one shows the REAL AIR FLOW BENCH and all the same conditions, no trickery. Amsoil and K&N are darn close on airlow (Amsoil being better) and the K&N let a lot more dirt past, the Amsoil trapped as much as the paper filter.

C66 Racing is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V (sold)

These are the relatively new filters that N0DIH discusses above:
    AMSOIL Ea Air Filter

I used to use K&N, but I feel that the oil wetted foam has issues with the wires in the MAFs of modern cars and I was concerned about the extra particulates that a K&N probably passed as compared to paper. I had my 02 Corvette Z06 on a dyno in 2006 and it was down on HP. The shop took out my K&N (which had two race weekends on it) and put a new paper filter in. I picked up 2 HP. I switched to the AMSOIL EA Filter as I feel that it flows as well as paper, and filters much better than paper or oil wetted foam.

Amsoil looks the best bet, then ... thank you for the info & reference number! I'm glad for the chance to boost engine life a tad & benefit the forum as well

I need to pickup an Amsoil air filter for my 00 Park Ave Supercharged 3800..... Anything to help power is welcome and of course always, better mpg...

C66, can you find those air filter video's? Would be cool if they were on YouTube....

Quote Originally Posted by N0DIH View Post
    I need to pickup an Amsoil air filter for my 00 Park Ave Supercharged 3800..... Anything to help power is welcome and of course always, better mpg...

C66, can you find those air filter video's? Would be cool if they were on YouTube....
    You should be able to see them via this page on AMSOIL's Corporate Website:
    http://www.amsoil.com/video/company/...ers/index.aspx

For those considering using these filters, please consider the AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program which allows you to buy at dealer wholesale, about 25% below retail. As long as you use reference #1206638 when you register for this program, all your future sales will benefit my dealership and forum. If anyone as any questions, please feel free to drop me a PM or email at c66racing@hotmail.com.

Any of the old ones around? The ones that showed actual time on the flow bench? Those showed how Amsoil did really well compared to K&N directly for dirt. K&N's are AWFUL at stopping dirt. Simply put, they don't.

Quote Originally Posted by C66 Racing View Post
    You should be able to see them via this page on AMSOIL's Corporate Website:
    http://www.amsoil.com/video/company/...ers/index.aspx

For those considering using these filters, please consider the AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program which allows you to buy at dealer wholesale, about 25% below retail. As long as you use reference #1206638 when you register for this program, all your future sales will benefit my dealership and forum. If anyone as any questions, please feel free to drop me a PM or email at c66racing@hotmail.com.
    I did find these to: http://youtube.com/watch?v=IvJradh0kSQ

But these are pretty new, I am talking 20 years ago. Mine are on video, 3rd or 4th generation....

Quote Originally Posted by N0DIH View Post
    But these are pretty new, I am talking 20 years ago. Mine are on video, 3rd or 4th generation....
    Oh... 3rd or 4th generation... holy cow! Didn't know that they had video's from that long ago. I'll have to get in touch with a longtime AMSOIL Dealer and see if they have any of those 3rd for 4th generation video's.

They are heads up direct comparisson of a paper filter, K&N and Amsoil, and Amsoil matched paper for dirt stoppage, and beat K&N by a small margin. The K&N was embarrassing how much dirt it DIDN'T stop. That alone is enough to warrant using a paper or Amsoil filter. The thing to point out, is Amsoil is moving forward with the filter technology, K&N hasn't done jack....

AElayyat is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 85 Fleetwood Brougham, 90 Brougham 5.7, 05 Deville DTS

Quote Originally Posted by Warren_R View Post
    Has anyone here tried the K&N air filters on a 305CID/carbureted engine? Their website suggests using one *might* add horsepower, assuming engine to be in good operating condition.

Before springing the $$$ for one, I'd very much like to collect some opinions on that
    I've got a K&N on my 89 Brougham w/ 5.0 and I did notice a bit more pick up out of the car. I also have a 40 serise Flowmaster muffler on the car and factory resonator has been removed. I also picked up a few more mpg's.

MadCaddie69 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1990 Cadillac Brougham, My mom's 2001 Cadillac Deville DTS

Damn good investment!! Best air filter ever! My Brougham has one and I just put one in my mother's DTS!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.