5.0 skip... Out of luck?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
5.0 and 5.7 Discussion, 5.0 skip... Out of luck? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hello bretheren, Bought a 1991 Brougham D'Elegance from an old geyser who did nothing but drive and change the oil. ...
    Faded Crest is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '00 SDV, '94 & '99 Eldo, '03 DHS, '66 SDV

5.0 skip... Out of luck?

Hello bretheren,

Bought a 1991 Brougham D'Elegance from an old geyser who did nothing but drive and change the oil. At 119,950 miles, the spark plugs were ORIGINAL, as were the AC Delco Cap/Rotor and numbered Packard Bell spark plug wires... Have a look at one of the spark plugs. Burned down from .035 to .055.

http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/thejumpsuitman/100_8998.jpg

The car had a little bit of a rough idle, so I naturally figured that a tune up would fix it, no go...

So I drove 100 miles into the country with some Lucas Injector cleaner and 93 Octane in it, giving it a WOT whenever possible, no change, not even any black or brown coming out of the tailpipe.

Then someone in the Brougham/RWD thread suggested it may be an EGR valve, so I replaced that, no change.

Obviously, I am worried that I may be looking at a burnt valve. I didn't figure in that kind of work when I bought it, so I am looking for wisdom...

Could it be anything else? Basically, it is a very slight, but consistent miss. There is a small exhaust leak toward the front, probably on top of the catalytic converter, or where it connects. The miss is only noticeable when just rolling to a stop. You can feel a pulsating flutter. But on the road, she screams! One of the strongest TBI 5.0's I have driven (I've had 3).

If it is a burn valve, dare I drizzle some water down the throttlebody in an effort to break it up?

Thoughts, anyone?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: 5.0 skip... Out of luck?

In case the link doesn't work, here is a picture of that spark plug...

Here's a picture of the car...

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Go back to the basics. Run a compression test first. Then hook a vacuum gauge to it and report back what you get.

Problem solved... It was either the MAP sensor or a vaccuum line in that area. I replaced it, secured the hoses in the area, and now it runs PERFECT!

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

Sweet!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.