Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

Thread: 5.0 skip... Out of luck?

Faded Crest is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '66 SDV, '76 CDV, '76 FWB, '78 CDV, '89 BRM, '91 BRM '92 BRM, '98 Concours, '00 SDV

5.0 skip... Out of luck?

Hello bretheren,

Bought a 1991 Brougham D'Elegance from an old geyser who did nothing but drive and change the oil. At 119,950 miles, the spark plugs were ORIGINAL, as were the AC Delco Cap/Rotor and numbered Packard Bell spark plug wires... Have a look at one of the spark plugs. Burned down from .035 to .055.

http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/thejumpsuitman/100_8998.jpg

The car had a little bit of a rough idle, so I naturally figured that a tune up would fix it, no go...

So I drove 100 miles into the country with some Lucas Injector cleaner and 93 Octane in it, giving it a WOT whenever possible, no change, not even any black or brown coming out of the tailpipe.

Then someone in the Brougham/RWD thread suggested it may be an EGR valve, so I replaced that, no change.

Obviously, I am worried that I may be looking at a burnt valve. I didn't figure in that kind of work when I bought it, so I am looking for wisdom...

Could it be anything else? Basically, it is a very slight, but consistent miss. There is a small exhaust leak toward the front, probably on top of the catalytic converter, or where it connects. The miss is only noticeable when just rolling to a stop. You can feel a pulsating flutter. But on the road, she screams! One of the strongest TBI 5.0's I have driven (I've had 3).

If it is a burn valve, dare I drizzle some water down the throttlebody in an effort to break it up?

Thoughts, anyone?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Automobile(s): '66 SDV, '76 CDV, '76 FWB, '78 CDV, '89 BRM, '91 BRM '92 BRM, '98 Concours, '00 SDV

Re: 5.0 skip... Out of luck?

In case the link doesn't work, here is a picture of that spark plug...

Here's a picture of the car...

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1999 BMW 740 Il. 2005 Jag XK8, 1988 Mercedes Benz 300 SE

Go back to the basics. Run a compression test first. Then hook a vacuum gauge to it and report back what you get.

Problem solved... It was either the MAP sensor or a vaccuum line in that area. I replaced it, secured the hoses in the area, and now it runs PERFECT!

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

Sweet!!!