'91 Bro. 5.0 spak plug strategy???
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
5.0 and 5.7 Discussion, '91 Bro. 5.0 spak plug strategy??? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; At around 7:00 tonight, I figured I'd change my spark plugs on the Brougham... NOT a job to start at ...
    Faded Crest is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '00 SDV, '94 & '99 Eldo, '03 DHS, '66 SDV

'91 Bro. 5.0 spak plug strategy???

At around 7:00 tonight, I figured I'd change my spark plugs on the Brougham... NOT a job to start at dusk! I got the 4 drivers side with some acrobatics, but the passenger side looks horrible. Anyone out there have a plan of attack? Does it need to be jacked up and tire removed? Doesn't look like they can be reached from up top. Thanks,
    Marc

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jey
    jey is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Fleetwood Brougham V4P

Re: '91 Bro. 5.0 spak plug strategy???

Yeah try going at it from the bottom - after cutting up my knuckles I was pleasantly surprised when doing my 93 Brougham. A U-joint adapter (or 2) may help too for getting the tool in there.

Faded Crest is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '00 SDV, '94 & '99 Eldo, '03 DHS, '66 SDV

Thanks for the advice. I was able to get the right side by taking the wheel off. It took a U-joint and 2 extensions, but it worked. Thanks!

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

You would think these big cars would be easy! My 96 Suburban with the 350 wasn't too bad, but my 99 Suburban with the 454 is actually easier....

And my 80 Trans AM with a 455 in it (Pontiac of course!) is STILL the easiest of all.... My 94 Fleetwood LT1, the hardest, still got one plug, #2, that I haven't got out yet.....

Jacking up and going through above the tire is almost always the easiest.....You can see them well that way...

A friend of mine used to work in a shop, he used a u-joint spark plug socket and another u-joint (both impact u-joints that are locking, meaning you need to depress a button to release the joints from each other). This made almost any car easy... But when he saw a 85-93 FWD Deville show up, he was cussing....

jey
    jey is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Fleetwood Brougham V4P

Quote Originally Posted by N0DIH View Post
    You would think these big cars would be easy! My 96 Suburban with the 350 wasn't too bad, but my 99 Suburban with the 454 is actually easier....
    Yeah I know. And I have also observed that it's often the technology that we "add on" to the cars that gets in the way. Those ABS brake lines not only make spark plugs difficult, but the power steering dip stick is darn near impossible to get to without a tool, especially if that radiator hose is hot. And I have small hands! Surely that's not what the engineers had in mind when they first designed this.

After messing with the plug wires on the Fleetwood I turned around and did an oil change on our 03 Tahoe. I just about fell over when I saw the separate ignition modules for each cylinder, and what appears to be an 8 minute job when it comes to changing out plugs. They're sitting right there! I actually look forward to performing maintenance on that vehicle. Plus the engine is at a good height for working on - back can get pretty sore bending over working on some of these cars...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.