throttle/choke springs???
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
5.0 and 5.7 Discussion, throttle/choke springs??? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have a 87 Brougham with the 307. I was looking at it this weekend and noticed 2 coil springs ...
    beerlover is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '87 Brougham

throttle/choke springs???

I have a 87 Brougham with the 307. I was looking at it this weekend and noticed 2 coil springs at the carb just under the air intake portion of the air filter housing. They are just hanging there not connected to anything. Does anyone have a pic or diagram of how these should be properly connected? I was thinking they have something to do with the choke or throttle, but my manual doesn't show or mention anything about them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

Re: throttle/choke springs???

Do you have a pic of how they are not supposed to look? Are they on the left side (driver) of the carb or the right?
    Sounds like return springs, but hard to say without a visual.

They are on the drivers side of the carb. I'm thinking they're throttle return springs, but I don't know where they hook on. When I come to a stoplight, it doesn't really seem like my idle is returning to as low a level as it should. I'll try to get a picture.

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

Like this: ?

It strikes me as throttle return springs. Get them back on ASAP, dangerous without.

Pull air cleaner off, and you will see the holes to insert them into. On spring sits inside of the other... They share the same holes. It is safety having both.

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

You need to get those back on there.
    A good picture will help us tell you where to.
    I suspect that it looks just like that picture above ^^^^^

Yep - that's them! Mine are all rusted and stretched out, and the hook on the ends is broken off. I assume they hook into a little metal tab with a hole in it that is in the vicinity. I'll try to find a new set or at the least, go to Lowe's and get some springs of a similar size. Thanks guys!

The springs are no longer available through GM. I just got some similar sized ones from Lowe's and put them on and it seems good as new.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.