anouther chevy 305 prblem
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
5.0 and 5.7 Discussion, anouther chevy 305 prblem in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; i just got an 86 c-10 truck with a 305 it seams to run good the guages say it has ...
    seth is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1968 cadillac. 1990 chevy caprice, 1986 c-10 pickup

anouther chevy 305 prblem

i just got an 86 c-10 truck with a 305 it seams to run good the guages say it has oil pressure and shows its not overheating. well i changed the oil it was just old and dirty and i went to put new oil in it and the oil cap had this white cream sort of film on it not covered with it and there was a little condensation inside the neck that the cap conects to. which has scared me quite a bit ive read on the internet some say its just condensation others say its leaking or blown head gasket what do yall think its not blowing white smoke, it doesn seam to run like crap the oil isnt chocolate milk or yet anyways i was thinking about just replacing the hea gaskets to be on the safe side but what does everybody else think ? any sugestions? thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

Re: anouther chevy 305 prblem

Depending on your local weather conditions it could be normal. Clean it off and periodically check it.
    Make sure the oil level stays constant.
    If the oil wasn't milky when you drained it you are probably okay.

N0DIH is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

I have seen that on cars before, never mine, always wondered how that much condensation gets in there, short driving trips? Leaky head gasket? intake leaks? porous intake?

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Normal condensation. If it were mine, I would replace the PCV valve to confirm the crankcase is venting completely. I would also verify the engine is getting to normal temperature quickly like it should. A cold, cool running engine will have condensation because it doesn't get to 195, 200 degrees to evaporate it. A new GM thermostat and GM PCV valve are much cheaper than headgaskets!! Also list your type of car in your signature profile so you dont have to type it every time you post.

Probably why I have never seen it on my cars... I have just about always done longer trips and always kept up on PVC valves....

And I change oil often (6000-7000 miles, typically what the OLM says...)

(almost reminds you of the inner workings of some companies....)

well it turned out the pvc valve wasnt plugged in like it should have been so the filler neck is totally dry and the cooling pressurer problem i just didnt drive it long enough it has pressure now. anywho new problem no spark any ideas the coil ? thanks for the help

I didn't change my oil for sometime on my LT1 (synthetic went around 10-12K miles) and did see some of the stuff up in the neck you described. Not sure of the source other than with the outside temps so cool the neck isn't getting warm enough to evap it all. Summertime it should get plenty warm. Time will tell!

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Should be a new thread!! No spark is usually the module within the distributor, coil is unlikely. But this is just a guess without you doing some diagnostics. Is there 12 volts to the distributor? Is the ground strap under the coil in the cap?

sorry i dont know any thing about electrical problems how can i test the module what should i connect the multimeter to on the distributor to measure the volts ? thanks

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.