86 brougham pre ignition after warmup
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
5.0 and 5.7 Discussion, 86 brougham pre ignition after warmup in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I've noticed this a few times, i can only hear it if the windows are open.. This car is not ...
    cadmat is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante.

86 brougham pre ignition after warmup

I've noticed this a few times, i can only hear it if the windows are open.. This car is not driven but a few times a month, but I always make sure part of the trip is a few minutes to an hour of freeway speeds. always starts right up, choke drops down properly after warm I bump it, the engine is so smooth that I can't tell if it's on at stop lights, but after it's driven awhile, I notice a little pre ignition gergle under load at low speeds ( under 25 ish) what should I check first?
    car has about 140000 miles, and was tuned up about 2500 miles ago ( a year and a half ago) , plugs, wires etc.. not sure if the carb was serviced any further then simple adjustments.. passed an emmissions test at about the same time with flying colors.. I've wondered if a sea foam treatment may be in order.. never did it, but it always seemed like a good idea.. What do you think?

Thanks, Matt

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

joe_padavano is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 93 Allante

Re: 86 brougham pre ignition after warmup

The 307 Olds motor is famous for this if the EGR passages get clogged. Start by verifying that the EGR valve is working. If it is, then pull the valve and check the passages in the intake. Also, pull the carb. You'll see two vertical tubes stickup up from the floor of the intake under the carb. Be sure these are not carbon clogged.

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

Re: 86 brougham pre ignition after warmup

Also do not forget a frozen EFE valve will also do the same, and do it very bad.

Check for proper EFE valve operation.

But agreed, after dealing with my 85 Cutlass and the EGR Jet Extensions being plugged, yeah, that is a crap design

What I did was remove the tubes (GM DOES NOT RECOMMEND!!!) as they are screw in and then replace with a brass plug with a hole drilled into it with same size as GM had on the OEM tubes. Increases intake flow (yeah, like the 307 can use it... I had a 350 though) and does reduce the disruption in the intake just under the very sensitive area under the carbie.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.