Is 5.0 really that bad? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
5.0 and 5.7 Discussion, Is 5.0 really that bad? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I know very few people who have had anything to complain about a Olds "Rocket V-8" don't forget the 90 ...
    somename is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 97 Deville

Re: Is 5.0 really that bad?

I know very few people who have had anything to complain about a Olds "Rocket V-8" don't forget the 90 is the last one of those. Just a conversation topic.

You want underpowered get a 4.1. At least the 307 has the torque to move a 4200 pound car from a dead stop, the 249 has a 3.42:1 final drive ratio, takes off like a rocket when you take your foot off the brake, but it needs that just to get started. And has no power, absolutely none around 60. Step on the gas and it slows down, almost.

I forget weather the 307 came with 3.08 or 2.73 rear gears. Both are far favorable for highway driving, and can cruise all day at 70-80.

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

Like I said ages ago, best low buck mod to a 307 powered Cad is grab a 4100 3.42 axle... Or get one from a high alt car, 3.73....

They are all 7.5", but who cars, they will take a lot of punishment honestly. Don't use slicks and don't tow heavy and it will live a long time. If it spins when you punch (hahahahahahaha) it, then let it, don't let it hook....

The 307 is a tough engine, good ring seal, lasts a long time with no issues. Only issues I ever knew of, intakes would leak and new gaskets needed from time to time and EGR stack tubes under carb would carbon up and cause pinging issues because EGR flow was so diminished. Fix that and it runs great again.

Ahh one of these days I wanna get me a light car like a Olds Starfire and drop a built 307 in.... Do it up right. A 350 Olds is still a better foundation to start with, but 307's have a small 3.8L Buick sized bore, so airflow is lacking, good rod length, good stroke, just smallish bore is its main characteristic that is dooming it from making good hp.

But anyone who says it can't be built needs to watch a 305 Chevy. They can do pretty well, they have a smaller bore. Do the same type things to a 307 as a 305 and you will get similar results. Still if you are going through the trouble of building it up, a 350 Olds is just better economically.

Scraped Knuckles is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 81 Eldo

The 305 TBI was rated at 170 Hp the 350 TBI was rated at 190 HP ooh big difference yes the 350 has more torque but if you Hotrods 305 to 350 comparison you would see the really isn't much difference. You could swap in a 383 stroker and the 454 has the same trans bolt patern, it just depends on how much power you need versus how much power you want. The Olds doesn't really have a small block big block set up like Chevy despite people refering to them as that. It's more of a short stroke long stroke deal like Pontiac. But Olds uses a shorter stroke for smaller engines and long stroke for large engines as opposed to Pontiac's small bore large bore. Meaning a 455 Olds will drop right in place of the 307 same engine mounts and all ( just need a bigger rad and dual exhaust). You can even swap heads from big block to small block Olds, though you'll have to machine them so the intake manifold fits or buy the Performer RPM intake Edelbrock makes for using the RPM aluminum big block cylinderheads on a small block Olds.

87allante4.9swap is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 87 Allante 4.1 50 Ford Custom FHv8

Quote Originally Posted by My_favorite_Brougham View Post
    Maybe it was just the big car feel; oh, and my 4.9 coupe does have an exhaust leak between the throttle-body and the block. That'll be one of my weekend projects.

And as for an illusion, I'd be happy with that. .....man I miss my Brougham (307) even though it did 0-20 in about 30sec. (and yes I did mean 20...lol) The next will be chevy-powered
    My brother had a beige 86 Brougham with the 307 and this is the truth. Slowest car i've ever been in..... The 4.1 is underpowered for those big Fleetwoods, but at 170hp in my Allante it's quick to break lose.

generaltso64 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 88 brougham

Quote Originally Posted by Spock View Post
    How are they bad? From 86-89, they had the olds 307 which many call bulletproof. Then comes the L05 which I can't find a reason to find to say its bad either.

The only complaint that I can hear is that both engines are "underpowered" for the size of car, but then what can one really except from a land yacht that isn't from the 70's and 60's? They were created at a time where gas prices and environmental reasons made them they way they are. Is your concern one of performance or workmanship?
    Well, its not a racecar....usually the people that have power problems have a bad torque converter solenoid. Mine has 170,000 and still going strong. still gets 20mpg too. Sounds good with duals on it as well.

generaltso64 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 88 brougham

Quote Originally Posted by 96fleetwood View Post
    you sure you are not experiencing the uber sensitive gas pedal on these older broughams that give you the false illusion of super speed from 0-20?
    lmao

longo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1992 sedan deville and 1989 Brougham deElegance

On my 89 brougham with 307 I upped the timing a couple degrees, put in dual snorkel setup, tweaked the carb a little and put on dual exhaust as well. Pulls better than my 305 caprice ever did and sounds sweet as well. No complaints.

JLanzino is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1989 Cadillac Brougham d'Elegance

I just picked up a 89 Cadillac Brougham d'Elegance with an Olds 307, It Starts & Drives Great!! Most comfortable vehicle I own lol But Pick up wise its slow My 87 Caprice Classic Brougham Picks up faster with the same 307 motor only difference is Caddy has 57000KM & Caprice Has 314000KM. These Caddys Are Heavy Luxury Cars So The 307 takes a bit longer, Caprice is Lighter, & My Caprice & d'Elegange Are the same length same size But The Caddy is Heavier by far lol. I am a Chev Man preder the Chev 350 to a 307 but 350, 305 & 307 all Great GM Motors

78seville455 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1978 Seville 455 powered project
    The olds 307/350 were Not bad engines..... Notorious for wearing out or breaking teeth off timing gear as they get up in miles/age. Egr cloggings etc. the major problem with any olds small block is after '75 they switched to light weight blocks, which are weaker. And also Pontiac head castings. Bigger cams.... I.e. towing/ mild street, and bumping the comp ratio will really wake it up. Headers and intake/ carb will def help too. A breathing engine is a happy engine.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.