Engine ping/knock/miss at all RPM ranges. - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
5.0 and 5.7 Discussion, Engine ping/knock/miss at all RPM ranges. in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have my old 85 Cutlass 307 AIR pump that I went through if you need it (I work in ...
    N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

Re: Engine ping/knock/miss at all RPM ranges.

I have my old 85 Cutlass 307 AIR pump that I went through if you need it (I work in Libertyville). They are considered not rebuildable, but are easily taken apart and cleaned up and smoothed out to make them quieter or free them up if they lock up. Free to the taker.

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

Don't butter both sides of a rocker cover gasket with RTV. It is a lubricant before curing. Your gaskets will squeeze out every time. Use a bench vise opened up 1 inch as an anvil for the covers and pound any distortion around the bolt holes flat with a body hammer or something similar. Use 3M weatherstrip adhesive to glue the gaskets to your covers. Let it set up with some pressure on it. Then goober the other cork with high heat rated silly-cone. Initially torque the gaskets very lightly but evenly. Wait a few hours and touch up the torque. Allow RTV silicone 1 FULL DAY to cure before use.

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

307's? No gasket from at least 85 up! Easy way to know, there is a little spike bent out to tell you where to stop tightening. It won't stop you, you have to not gorrilla it. Just fill in with a 1/4" bead of Ultra Black or Ultra Grey RTV, and snug down to the stops.

BUT, 95% of the people replace the RTV with gaskets and crush the little stops. They are just a feature of the valve cover metal that is punched out. Maybe 1/8" or so the RTV gets squished to.

I have NEVER had a 307 with RTV leak, whether factory or my install of it. Follow RTV instructions accurately and you will have no issues and a leak free seal.

Heck, 307's from 85 up don't even have oil pan gaskets! Mine never leaked a drop.

Gwokable is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1988 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Replaced the head cover gaskets with ones for a racecar, the lifters are in good shape. No more oil leaks, seafoamed the **** out of the fuel.

No more Oil Leaks!!!!!!! *does a jig*

Well ok the new oil pressure switch that stripped in the hole is leaking, but a little bit of epoxy will fix that problem!

Replaced the CAT and there's a leak in the exhaust causing the missing. I'm going to take it to a shop and have them wield it shut. Failing that, I think it may be time to replace the spark booster and check out the ignition wiring.

Gwokable is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1988 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Dumped the CAT, straight pipe. She sounds and runs beautifully without missing. I think the rear or the exhaust manifold is leaking somewhere but I'll find that leak in time.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.