Testing a MAP sensor
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
5.0 and 5.7 Discussion, Testing a MAP sensor in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Does anyone know how to test a MAP sensor for a 1980 Eldorado? Its mounted near/on the ecm. My car ...
    Eldorado guy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '80 Eldorado, '50 Chrysler Windsor, '92 Ford F-250 7.3 4x4

Testing a MAP sensor

Does anyone know how to test a MAP sensor for a 1980 Eldorado? Its mounted near/on the ecm. My car runs rough when I come to a stop and it cutts out at takeoff sometimes. The timing is at eight degrees and it should be at ten, but the distributer is frozen in the block, i.e.- I can't turn it. My chiltons manual says that the map could be malfunctioning, but I hate to go and buy one and have it not repair the issue, like I have done so many times before. Is there a way to test them? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

Re: Testing a MAP sensor

The map sensor can be disconnected from the circuit and checked with an ohmmeter andhand operated vacuum pump. Hook the pump to the vac port and look for varing resistance between 2 terminals with change in vacuum.
    Which engine do you have?

FrankT is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 99 STS

Ape Man,
    That's a good test.

Here are a couple more, just for the heck of it.
    If you have a scan tool.
    • Test the 5v ref circuit for 5volts
    • Test low ref circuit from the connector to ground for less than 5.0 Ohms with the key OFF.
    • Then connect the MAP sensor wire harness connector to the MAP Sensor.
    • Remove the MAP Sensor, and turn the Key ON .
    • Connect and operated the vacuum pump, look for a varing kpa or voltage value on the scan tool. This tells you the signal circuit, ECM/PCM and MAP Sensor are working OK.
    One more, if you don't have a scan tool, but, you have a dmm.
    • Use the DMM on the voltage scale.
    • Jumper the 5v and low ref circuits from the MAP connector to the MAP Sensor.
    • Connect the DMM to the Signal terminal of the MAP and ground.
    • Connect the vac pump to the vac port and look for varing voltage at the signal circuit (approx 0.2 -4.90vots) with a change in vacuum.

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

I did my Vortec 454 with my scan tool and a vacuum pump, read dead on. If same connector on newer cars/trucks and they have a good scan tool, connect it up to a friends car and be read that way.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.