~Need timing directions~1989 Brougham 307
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
5.0 and 5.7 Discussion, ~Need timing directions~1989 Brougham 307 in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I know how to shoot gun and rotate distributor. Where in the heck is the vacuum hose to pull and ...
    54Cadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

~Need timing directions~1989 Brougham 307

I know how to shoot gun and rotate distributor. Where in the heck is the vacuum hose to pull and plug? What wire needs to be grounded? Engine is still a lil rough after, plugs, cap, rotor, TPS sensor, (no codes now) Fuel filter, carb cleaner, oil change, trans filter, pcv shakes, replaced one vacuum hose (will keep looking for bad ones), new breather on valve cover, new air filter,,,,,,,,,,,,,Help I just want to set timing but don't know where to setup for it. Thanks!

Gonna clean EGR tubes under carb this weekend, maybe set timing too!

Carl
    Chesapeake VA

[

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: ~Need timing directions~1989 Brougham 307

joe_padavano is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 93 Allante

Carl,

The 307 uses a fully electronic advance, so there is no vac hose or centrifugal advance weights for that matter. You need to ground the A and B terminals in the ALDL connector under the steering column while you set the timing.

Great, I just picked up the distributor wrench, I'm on it!
    I already know it needs to be advanced, I had the paper clip ground the other day and timing light on it. It was about 4 bumps down on the tab. I just couldn't get to the bolt. I also wanted to check charcoal canister since my car seams like its loading up on fuel somewhere and them blips a loss of power or a miss like every ten seconds, sometimes not noticeable? Maybe wires since I did everything else?

Thanks Joe!

Timing set to 20*, and trans cable adjusted! She can get out of her own way now! During the timing change, it started smoking real bad, I thought the valve cover seal gave out, but I have exhaust leak at cat and it was really smoking out back and in engine bay from exhaust leak i guess. Once the computer readjusted to timing???? she is smoothed out and with cable adjust to trans, drives much better. Can't wait for my exhaust to show in the mail............

1lowcut is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 89 D'elegance

Quote Originally Posted by joe_padavano View Post
    Carl,

The 307 uses a fully electronic advance, so there is no vac hose or centrifugal advance weights for that matter. You need to ground the A and B terminals in the ALDL connector under the steering column while you set the timing.
    What is the ALDL and how would i locate it? havent went out to look at it yet as it is dark and cold. I need set the timing on my 89!!!!!

sven914 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1989 Brougham d'Elegance, 1985 Fleetwood Brougham *Coupe*

Quote Originally Posted by 1lowcut View Post
    What is the ALDL and how would i locate it? havent went out to look at it yet as it is dark and cold. I need set the timing on my 89!!!!!
    The ALDL is a black electrical connector, used for vehicle diagnostics, and is located in center of the under side of the dash board. If you look at you ashtray and follow the panel under it to the floor, the ALDL will be there.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.