Dual radiator outlets?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
5.0 and 5.7 Discussion, Dual radiator outlets? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; My 93 FWB with the 5.7 has two lower radiator hoses. What is the purpose of the second one? I ...
    rlyons is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 93 Fleetwood Brougham

Dual radiator outlets?

My 93 FWB with the 5.7 has two lower radiator hoses. What is the purpose of the second one? I need a radiator and all I have found are single outlet radiators. What's up with this? I have another one being delivered in the morning from radiator.com which they say matches the Vin# but no one could tell me if it had the two outlets. Mine has a small one on the driver's side and a larger one on the passenger side. They both go to the same area on the engine.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Harpo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 93FWB, 74MM Hearse

Re: Dual radiator outlets?

I have the same problem, and can't find a radiator to fit. Did you ever find an answer?

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

Re: Dual radiator outlets?

Not sure if this is the issue or not, but I will give it a shot... Sorry for the long response, didn't see the original post...

Ok, there is 2 large hoses, lower one (non LT1) is suction, and upper one is return. The lower goes to the inlet of the pump, which pumps through the block to the heads, to the thermostat, back to the upper hose. Pretty simple system. Somewhere in the system, typically just before the thermostat, sometimes at the back of the head, there is a heater hose pickup, which feeds the heater core. It must return to a suction side of the system, i.e., the pump directly, or to the side of the radiator that has the lower hose.

Now, in some cases, GM put the heater hose return in the radiator. It shouldn't make much difference, but in the case of my old 76 Olds Delta 88, it was done on the HD Cooling cars. Look to see if you have V03 or V08 cooling. Some of the LT1 Z28's and Trans AM's had this as well.

The radiator hoses are the main hoses, around 2" to 2.5" in diameter. The heater hoses are typically 3/4" to 7/8" in diameter.

The LT1's (94-96 Fleetwoods) had an entirely different cooling system, which isn't discussed here...

Hope that helps and might shed some light. I don't have a 93 car, so I can't look, but if you take pictures, I can give you more insight.

Just remember, general rule of thumb (again, NON LT1) is lower side of any heat exchanger, i.e. radiator, heater core, AC condenser, AC evaporator, is the SUCTION side. This is done to prevent cavitation of the pump when low on fluid. Being cooling system are hot, steam will erupt if air is present. The stock cooling systems rarely have air bleeds, but sometimes do and help remove more air keeping steam to a minimum.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.