CD Player - am I too old?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2014+ Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, CD Player - am I too old? in Cadillac CTS Third Generation Forum - 2014+; I am still waiting for my CTS to come in but one item I never thought to check or notice ...
    jghiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Sedan Lux Silver Coast

CD Player - am I too old?

I am still waiting for my CTS to come in but one item I never thought to check or notice was the CD player or lack thereof. Dealer said there wasnt one but also mentioned having one in the glove box. Of course the manuals dont indicate where it might be - only how the cd player controls work. I apologize for asking this and I assume others have already - but is there a CD player in the 2014 CTS? I just cannot understand why there would not be one and having to use mp3 players and usb devices for music downloaded from the internet.
    As an add on to this topic - I read the manual on the NAV system and was surprised to see it still indicated gmnavdisc.com as the source for disk updates - which of course wont work if there isnt a cd player. Dealer said updates come from the internet/Onstar - he wasnt clear on this. I clearly remember all the misinformation back in 08 about where we got updates and how uninformed the dealers were back then.
    So will there be updates to the NAV and what magical way will it be updated?
    Thanks and again I apologize for expecting manuals to be accurate.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    It's a single slot in the glove box.

Cool Rod is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS V-Sport

Re: CD Player - am I too old?

I think that when they come on discs, they are DVDs not CDs.

The CD player takes up a lot of the modest space in the glove box. Next year it is an extra cost option.

Thanks for the info from both of you. I did find a reference to a player for the glove box on the gm accessories site but it didnt appear to be something you could order(at $275).
    Stand corrected on NAV media - thanks - I suspect the updates will come from the same site previously used for 2008+ CTS's.

RAB
    RAB is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Rod View Post
    I think that when they come on discs, they are DVDs not CDs.

The CD player takes up a lot of the modest space in the glove box. Next year it is an extra cost option.
    I read in another thread here that the "CD Player" in the 2014 CTS Sedan cannot play DVDs (DVD Video or Audio discs), only CDs.

greyghost04 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '14 CTS 2.0 Luxury AWD, '14 SRX 3.6 AWD

It does not play dvd's. Wish I could take it out because it takes up half the glove compartment and I'll never use it.

longislander is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '14 CTS4 3.6 Luxury Radiant Silver/Twilight Blue

Quote Originally Posted by jghiller View Post
    Thanks for the info from both of you. I did find a reference to a player for the glove box on the gm accessories site but it didnt appear to be something you could order(at $275).
    The CD player in the glove box is standard on Luxury and higher trim levels, and is included in the base with the seating package.
    I use the CD player regularly - I am not an iPod kind of guy. Guess it is a function of age.

cafpaf is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I am with Greyghost on this one. There really is no need for a cd player that takes up half the glove box space and particularly one that is just a single disc. I am not an ipod or MP3 player kind of guy either. However, I did take at least a dozen albums, download them to the computer, and copy them to an SD card. Once inserted the CUE takes care of the rest and even has them organized via album. I now have all of this music on a device the size of a postage stamp.

Quote Originally Posted by cafpaf View Post
    I am with Greyghost on this one. There really is no need for a cd player that takes up half the glove box space and particularly one that is just a single disc. I am not an ipod or MP3 player kind of guy either. However, I did take at least a dozen albums, download them to the computer, and copy them to an SD card. Once inserted the CUE takes care of the rest and even has them organized via album. I now have all of this music on a device the size of a postage stamp.
    No need FOR YOU. I for one don't want to have to go to that kind of trouble - downloading albums, copying them, etc. to listen to my music. Just pop in the CD and listen - that works for me.

What process did you follow to move cds to usb or sd cards? For me I dont listen extensively to CDs but its nice just to pop one in but better when we had the hard drive to record them to.

cafpaf is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

longislander, obviously everyone is different. I just did what I had to do to work with the limitations of the car.

jghiller, if you already have the music stored on the computer it is a simple matter of copy and paste. If you do not have it stored on the computer will you have to download it first. At least, that is how I did it. It took a few minutes, really about an hour for all of the albums, but once it was done it works great.

snofun3 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS4

Quote Originally Posted by longislander View Post
    No need FOR YOU. I for one don't want to have to go to that kind of trouble - downloading albums, copying them, etc. to listen to my music. Just pop in the CD and listen - that works for me.
    I have 70gb of music on my ipod. Love to see you find the tune you want and pop it in on a CD in one lifetime. In fact it would be interesting to just see you FIT all 70gb worth of music in your car stored on CD's.

Quote Originally Posted by snofun3 View Post
    I have 70gb of music on my ipod. Love to see you find the tune you want and pop it in on a CD in one lifetime. In fact it would be interesting to just see you FIT all 70gb worth of music in your car stored on CD's.
    I don't need ALL my music in the car at one time. Whatever I'm in the mood for - 1 or 2 or 3 CD's - accompanies me in the car for the day. They fit just fine in the door pocket.

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

i'm of several opinions on this on one hand i'm glad to have the CD player, on the other in the glove box is stupid, its awkward and unsafe and make the glovebox useless, on my SRX its below CUE (perfect) on my ATS its in the glovebox and a fake ashtray is below CUE (DOH!!) i have roughly 60 gis of digital music so not having a player would be no issue but i like to keep 2 or 3 of my curent favorites with me on CD because the sound quality is so much better than anything short of lossles audio which has its own set of issues (big files, uncommon, compatibility)

I did a search on tools for migrating cds to usb and found Roxio listed. So I used my Roxio and followed instructions for copying cd tracks to to usb.
    I was surprised to see the Roxio made wav files out of the tracks. WAV isnt supported for usb(as documented in CTS manuals). So then I fould instructions on YouTube and simply updated the option for o/p files ripped from pc to use and I just changed the format to mp3(which is supported).
    I used Windows Media Player.
    Would assume mp3 format superior to wav.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.