CD Player - am I too old? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
2014+ Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, CD Player - am I too old? in Cadillac CTS Third Generation Forum - 2014+; Originally Posted by jghiller I did a search on tools for migrating cds to usb and found Roxio listed. So ...
    pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

Re: CD Player - am I too old?

Quote Originally Posted by jghiller View Post
    I did a search on tools for migrating cds to usb and found Roxio listed. So I used my Roxio and followed instructions for copying cd tracks to to usb.
    I was surprised to see the Roxio made wav files out of the tracks. WAV isnt supported for usb(as documented in CTS manuals). So then I fould instructions on YouTube and simply updated the option for o/p files ripped from pc to use and I just changed the format to mp3(which is supported).
    I used Windows Media Player.
    Would assume mp3 format superior to wav.
    no wav is superior to mp3

when Roxio is set up that way is is just pulling off the raw musical data from the CD in its uncompressed form, one reason wav is not as widely used is because it creates files many, many time larger than an mp3, this is because wav is uncompressed and lossless

mp3 on the other hand is a compression method and the form of compression is what is called lossy, meaning that you lose musical information creating them, how much you lose is determined by the settings used for that compression, 96k vs 320k for instance.

there are some lossless compression methods flac is the big one here, but like wav not used a lot except for by audiophiles

if you have the ability, set up roxio to do 320k variable bit rate, at high quality and you will have very sweet sounding mp3's doing this will get you 5 to 10 thousand songs on a 32gig usb drive instead of 10 to 20 thousand songs for a typical 128k fixed bit rate, medium quality settings that tend to be standard with a lot of mp3 creation software, this is a very good compromise of file size vs audio quality, is you have golden ears and need higher than i would suggest an iPod touch and record your CD's using iTunes and apples lossless format, that way you have no compatibility issues since the iPod handles that, and i said iPod touch on purpose the iPod classic seems to give CUE fits this is probably due to the spinning drive the classic has vs the flash memory the touch has
    WJrod likes this.

jghiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Sedan Lux Silver Coast

OK - but GM manual says wav files not listed as supported file types

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

Quote Originally Posted by jghiller View Post
    OK - but GM manual says wav files not listed as supported file types
    you wouldn't want to use wav anyway files too big

Ardent is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 Cadillac CTS Premium

It took me a while to start using flash drives for music but now that I've swapped over from disks it is a lot more convenient. I didn't even both to see if the car had a CD player, I'm actually a fan of the CUE system.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.