'14 CTS/'13 ATS HID light output
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2014+ Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, '14 CTS/'13 ATS HID light output in Cadillac CTS Third Generation Forum - 2014+; Checking to see if the HID illumination in the new models are now up to par with the Lexus, BMW,Audi, ...
    illbethere1 is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 3.6 cts, 2011 AWD coupe cts

'14 CTS/'13 ATS HID light output

Checking to see if the HID illumination in the new models are now up to par with the Lexus, BMW,Audi, etc. I have a newer CTS coupe with HID and it is BAD. BAD,BAD,BADDDDDDDDDDD. And not BAD as in great, Bad as in they SUCK ! I have friends with 08-13 CTS's with the HID option and have compared them all to be about the same in brightness, BAD. The light fixture themselves look sharp but what it pumps out is lackluster.
    My beam always get overpowered and swallowed up by incoming luxury models which is NOT COOL. I'm at a point to where I plan on retrofitting the projectors and ditching the gimmicky rotating lamp feature for some CLEAR LENSES instead of the frosted crap 2nd gens. have. Yknow its all these little things Caddy should of taken care of just by listening to the buyers demands and preferences such as the vibrating dildo gearshift which I hear is straightened out now and a few other nit picks that could be DONE RIGHT.

Just trying to get some good feedback on these certain (not minor) issues before I commit to the purchase.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Guy.Seminerio is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

Re: 14' CTS/13"ATS HID light output

HIDs slowly lose their intensity over the years. Tell your friends to change out the lights and it'll be like night and day. I have no complaints about other cars' lights overpowering mine. I've seen the Lexus, BMW, etc lights. Maybe you should change yours out.

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

bulbs...seek out new bulbs and if possible go 5000k for a whiter color, and you'll embarrass the euros

and adaptive steering is no joke...bomb a canyon at night, you'll learn to appreciate them, and appreciate how you're not cornering blind

if you want to get really bright overdrive your headlamps by upgrading the ballasts to 55watt from 35 watt....keep in mind that when you do this the color temp goes down when the wattage goes up...so if you want to maintain the factory 4300k you need to upgrade to 5000k if you want to go a little whiter a 6000k blue white bulb at 35 watts will become more like a 5000k pure white....but the light output will make a big gain in lumens....no need to change the optics in the lens assemblies they're fine
    rustybear3 likes this.

stabie is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V wagon

I'm on my second gen II CTS both having the articulating HID's. Never had a problem with brightness. I agree with pissed off, I wish my vette, which has HID, had the articulating feature. They are great on dark curvy roads.

Love mine I have intellibeam and adaptive so I get hi-lo left-right... So nice

illbethere1 is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 3.6 cts, 2011 AWD coupe cts

A XTS was behind me and his light output was pretty impressive. Cadillac definately changed the kelvin to a 6k. (can't be 5K) Both fog and lowbeam shot a white bluish beam (and you could tell it was stock) which rivaled the output of other cars in the class. Put my 4300k to shame being about only 2 yrs old. I doubt putting a new d1s 5k in would matter because ive compared it to a 13' and a 12' CTS/coupe and both match my HID output exactly. Its just one of those things you have to accept in a 2nd Gen CTS.

They're most definitely not 6k the new xts is running 4300k 6000k makes a blue light....meaning they make everyone and everything a smurf......my current 3 month old '14 car factory hid is every bit as bright as the xts and they are not as white as the 5000k morimoto xb35 bulbs I put in my '13 ATS ...... What you are seeing is a blue sparkle/color shift at the cutoff line caused by the lens assembly this is a cool desirable effect but separate from the light cast on the ground and seen from the driver......the xts and my car don't have true fog lights they have led combo fog/DRL light blades that are a pure white 5000k and have variable output that fade up and down in brightness based on conditions....if you walk up to one at night you'll see that side by side the hid light color is not a perfect match for them and is on the warmer side of the color spectrum, but they make nice light.....from a distance the HID and light blades blend and they look like pure white.....gen2 cuts doesn't benefit from this they have the light blades predecessor the light pipe and are meant to be more a lighting accent as opposed to useable light like the light blade, thus you don't get the blending effect.....but I promise you Cadillac has not gone 5000k or more with their bulbs
    Guy.Seminerio likes this.

Guy.Seminerio is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee View Post
    They're most definitely not 6k the new xts is running 4300k 6000k makes a blue light....meaning they make everyone and everything a smurf......my current 3 month old '14 car factory hid is every bit as bright as the xts and they are not as white as the 5000k morimoto xb35 bulbs I put in my '13 ATS ...... What you are seeing is a blue sparkle/color shift at the cutoff line caused by the lens assembly this is a cool desirable effect but separate from the light cast on the ground and seen from the driver......the xts and my car don't have true fog lights they have led combo fog/DRL light blades that are a pure white 5000k and have variable output that fade up and down in brightness based on conditions....if you walk up to one at night you'll see that side by side the hid light color is not a perfect match for them and is on the warmer side of the color spectrum, but they make nice light.....from a distance the HID and light blades blend and they look like pure white.....gen2 cuts doesn't benefit from this they have the light blades predecessor the light pipe and are meant to be more a lighting accent as opposed to useable light like the light blade, thus you don't get the blending effect.....but I promise you Cadillac has not gone 5000k or more with their bulbs
    Yes exactly.

If you look at the projector in the daytime with the light off you'll even see a bluish purplish color to it.

4300k is optimal for a white hot light. You start going above that and you start going to a cooler blue which sacrifices light output.

Look at the light output of these cars with led headlights nowadays. Same concept. They're bluer and the light output is not nearly as good. I've seen a couple of audis with LEDs and the output was pretty dismal. Same thing would happen if you decided to go with something higher than 4300k.

i have a theory about the aftermarket HID biz and the popularity of 6000k blue HID and that this popularity is a reflection of a couple things they don't know about HID and are trying to replicate....1) the bulbs color shifts from warm to cool as they age this will definitely influence the look and 2) the blue sparkle/flare that non projectors cannot make might be an influence as well

evanj21 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 Cadillac CTS 2.0t

Re: '14 CTS/'13 ATS HID light output

I have a 2014 base Cts and I thought it came with the HID headlights but I guess I was wrong, does anyone know where can I buy HID bulbs and just replace the regular halogen bulbs, if that's possible without changing the whole thing? Any help would be appreciated.

blankster is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Premium AWD 3.6 DI (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by evanj21 View Post
    I have a 2014 base Cts and I thought it came with the HID headlights but I guess I was wrong, does anyone know where can I buy HID bulbs and just replace the regular halogen bulbs, if that's possible without changing the whole thing? Any help would be appreciated.
    I believe HIDs are a system (ballasts etc) which is more than bulbs. You could maybe get the OEM parts but it would be expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by blankster View Post
    I believe HIDs are a system (ballasts etc) which is more than bulbs. You could maybe get the OEM parts but it would be expensive.
    So there is no way I can just purchase the bulb? my goal is just to make it look blue not yellow to match the LED strips on the side, I'm really dissapointed in Cadillac for not including this in a 48k car, not to mention the back up camera also wasn't included either, my friends 2014 honda accord msrp 24k has backup camera standard in the vehicle and this car doesnt.

blankster is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Premium AWD 3.6 DI (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by evanj21 View Post
    So there is no way I can just purchase the bulb? my goal is just to make it look blue not yellow to match the LED strips on the side, I'm really dissapointed in Cadillac for not including this in a 48k car, not to mention the back up camera also wasn't included either, my friends 2014 honda accord msrp 24k has backup camera standard in the vehicle and this car doesnt.
    HIDs work off of high-voltage not 12 volts like your headlamps.

I looked at the 2014 CTS at 50K and also wonder why my 40K Ford Edge has HIDs, Blind Spot Detection, Automatic Cruise Control, backup camera, Backup alert, ambient LED lighting, darn nice looking 20" wheels, a 3.5 V6, etc, etc..

Quote Originally Posted by blankster View Post
    HIDs work off of high-voltage not 12 volts like your headlamps.

I looked at the 2014 CTS at 50K and also wonder why my 40K Ford Edge has HIDs, Blind Spot Detection, Automatic Cruise Control, backup camera, Backup alert, ambient LED lighting, darn nice looking 20" wheels, a 3.5 V6, etc, etc..
    yes you can get HID upgrade kits...i did this on my first ATS my second came with them...check out 'the retrofit source' they have great info and a whole forum dedicated to HID upgrades and also look into 'ijdmtoy' and 'lumens' and 'ddmtuning'

Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee View Post
    yes you can get HID upgrade kits...i did this on my first ATS my second came with them...check out 'the retrofit source' they have great info and a whole forum dedicated to HID upgrades and also look into 'ijdmtoy' and 'lumens' and 'ddmtuning'
    is there a CTS HID upgrade kit?? And if I replace anything will it void the warranty? Since this is a lease, thanks.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.