V-Sport AWD......anyone heard anything???
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
2014+ Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, V-Sport AWD......anyone heard anything??? in Cadillac CTS Third Generation Forum - 2014+; I would be all over a V-Sport if it were offered in AWD (like on the XTS) I'm hoping maybe ...
    aceman is offline Cadillac Owners Member

V-Sport AWD......anyone heard anything???

I would be all over a V-Sport if it were offered in AWD (like on the XTS)

I'm hoping maybe its a 2015 offering - anyone heard anything on this front one way or the other?

thx

Aceman

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

Re: V-Sport AWD......anyone heard anything???

Nothing but you'd think they would make one. They are SERIOUSLY missing out on the e550 4matic and 550i xdrive crowd. They're all over NYC and I'll bet elsewhere in the snow belt. There has been no news on that though.

Funny you mention that...the car i owned prior to my current car was a E500 4matic....my current car is a 550ix.....one can only hope!

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

not going to happen...sorry...the only reason the XTS V-Sport is AWD is because that cars performance is gimped by being a front wheel drive car and FWD cannot handle the power of the TTV6 and even then they had to gimp the motor from 420hp/430torque to 410hp/369torque partly because of uneven cylinder head temps (due to sideways motor) but mainly because that power was still too much for that drivetrain.

CTS AWD cars have the old 6 speed transmission probably because the power transfer case that the front drive shaft exits from doesnt fit the Aisin 8 speed unit in the CTS V-Sport.

maybe AWD CTS V-Sport will become a reality when the co-developed GM/Ford 10 speed transmission is ready for production.

dobrenyr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

10 speed ? are you kidding me.... why on earth do we need a 10 speed ? Except for bragging rights of who has the most gears! A 10 speed would spend all of it's time hunting for gears, and more shifts = more wear and tear on the transmission...
    If you have a 1.2 Litre motor with peak torque at 5000 rpm, and any torque comming on at 2500 rpm then ok, you need more gears to keep the motor in it's sweet spot... but sheesh... you might as well look at a CVT if you need more than 8 forward gears regardless of engine size...

longislander is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '14 CTS4 3.6 Luxury Radiant Silver/Twilight Blue

Quote Originally Posted by dobrenyr View Post
    10 speed ? are you kidding me.... why on earth do we need a 10 speed ? Except for bragging rights of who has the most gears! A 10 speed would spend all of it's time hunting for gears, and more shifts = more wear and tear on the transmission...
    If you have a 1.2 Litre motor with peak torque at 5000 rpm, and any torque comming on at 2500 rpm then ok, you need more gears to keep the motor in it's sweet spot... but sheesh... you might as well look at a CVT if you need more than 8 forward gears regardless of engine size...
    I own a 1955 Chrysler Windsor V-8 with a 2-speed PowerFlite automatic transmission. It performs surprisingly well!

Quote Originally Posted by dobrenyr View Post
    with 10 speeds you don't have to have all 10 gears cover a range similiar to a 5 speed, you could have 1 reserved for a launch gear and have 2 or three overdrives that only kick in when conditions are similiar to when the truck V8 shuts down 4 cylinders for better fuel economy, you could have it set up so in sport mode you use these 6 or 7 and in touring mode use those 6 or 7....bottom line in the past gearing selection was chosen by the cars role usually hauling, economy, or performance now they don't have to choose because the transmission can take on multiple roles.

to use motor racing for inspiration the the 2019 CTS V-Sport AWD 10-speed could have a launch gear then 1st through 7th plus 2 overdrives for eco mode....and you end up with a car that (in our future wish list) has 500 ponies doing 3.8 seconds to 60 with 27 city/36 highway mpg

blankster is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Premium AWD 3.6 DI (Sold)

By then the CTS will be 90K.

RippyPartsDept is online now Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Quote Originally Posted by blankster View Post
    By then the CTS will be 90K.
    Well yeah, but you'd have

Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee View Post
    500 ponies doing 3.8 seconds to 60 with 27 city/36 highway mpg
    that kind of perormance, economy, and luxury doesn't come cheap

usually you only get to choose two out of three
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Well I think if they don't put AWD they are being flat dumb - every car it competes with has AWD and i'm sure many of us in the snowbelt won't touch it w/o AWD....That blows.

Aceman
    Lencarguy, Harry_Wild and Tedboss1 like this.

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium

None of the AWD systems GM has can handle the torque. There is a debate about this in the V forums related to the next gen V. Many are saying that the current V already has a problem keeping the wheels hooked because of all the torque and that the next V is going to have to be AWD in order to be able to use all that power.

Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63 View Post
    None of the AWD systems GM has can handle the torque. There is a debate about this in the V forums related to the next gen V. Many are saying that the current V already has a problem keeping the wheels hooked because of all the torque and that the next V is going to have to be AWD in order to be able to use all that power.
    maybe so but would they be as fun there are already robotic AWD supercars like the gallardo, 911 turbo, and veyron.....but when folks like to up the fun factor Lamborghini created the LP55-2 Balboni (RWD), Porsche created the GT-2/GT-3 (RWD), and nothing from Bugatti, but a reasonable RWD facsimile would be the Agera-R

i don't have the answer but seems like an interesting discussion

Tedboss1 is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTSV Auto

If Audi and MB can design AWD to handle high torque I'm sure that Cadillac can do it as well.
    As I live in Montreal for sure my next car will be AWD.

dobrenyr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee View Post
    with 10 speeds you don't have to have all 10 gears cover a range similiar to a 5 speed, you could have 1 reserved for a launch gear and have 2 or three overdrives that only kick in when conditions are similiar to when the truck V8 shuts down 4 cylinders for better fuel economy, you could have it set up so in sport mode you use these 6 or 7 and in touring mode use those 6 or 7....bottom line in the past gearing selection was chosen by the cars role usually hauling, economy, or performance now they don't have to choose because the transmission can take on multiple roles.

to use motor racing for inspiration the the 2019 CTS V-Sport AWD 10-speed could have a launch gear then 1st through 7th plus 2 overdrives for eco mode....and you end up with a car that (in our future wish list) has 500 ponies doing 3.8 seconds to 60 with 27 city/36 highway mpg
    Your post was extremely useful in regards to clarifying the need for a 10 speed Transmission. My old Lincoln LS always started in 2nd, unless you put it into manual mode and manually selected 1st to start off with. I can see that in cases where you go to 4 cylinder mode, you would want a gear that puts engine revs in a sweet spot for that, same with trailer tow... so essentially your still running a 5 or 6 speed automatic with 4 or 5 reserved gears... but you can do the same with a CVT as well...

RippyPartsDept is online now Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

what is the world coming to?

all of a sudden there's this big deal with driving in winter weather?

get snow tires and you won't need AWD

the traction control will do a fine job keeping you on the road if you have the proper tires for the weather
    (and you don't drive like a dumb@$$)

Usage of All Season Tires During Winter

All Season tires are not designed to be optimal in one specific weather condition. They are meant to be adequate in all weather. To be able to handle different types of weather, compromises have to be made. The tread design of an all season tire is not as aggressive as that of a winter tire and is also not as flexible in the cold. An all season tire''s tread will quickly get packed with snow and you lose traction.
    Although all season tires are branded M&S (or M+S, which stands for Mud and Snow), this is only based on the void-to-rubber ratio of the tread design, where the severe snow rating is based on actual performance testing. If you expect you will have to drive in moderate to severe snow, you should purchase a set of winter tires that display the mountain peak / snowflake symbol (see below). If you drive in a particularly wet climate or you only get a very small amount of snow, all season tires could be a good idea.
    Fourteen reasons to ditch your all-season tires for the winter
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.