V-Sport AWD......anyone heard anything??? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
2014+ Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, V-Sport AWD......anyone heard anything??? in Cadillac CTS Third Generation Forum - 2014+; Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept what is the world coming to? all of a sudden there's this big deal with driving ...
    Tedboss1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTSV Auto

Re: V-Sport AWD......anyone heard anything???

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    what is the world coming to?

all of a sudden there's this big deal with driving in winter weather?

get snow tires and you won't need AWD

the traction control will do a fine job keeping you on the road if you have the proper tires for the weather
    (and you don't drive like a dumb@$$)

Fourteen reasons to ditch your all-season tires for the winter
    Why I want my next car to be AWD? Now I can now buy high HP luxury AWD sedan from Audi, Porsche or MD.
    After driving my V with 4 snow tires for 5 winters I can tell you that it is no fun.

I wish that Cadillac would also offer AWD option.
    Harry_Wild and rustybear3 like this.

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

Quote Originally Posted by dobrenyr View Post
    Your post was extremely useful in regards to clarifying the need for a 10 speed Transmission. My old Lincoln LS always started in 2nd, unless you put it into manual mode and manually selected 1st to start off with. I can see that in cases where you go to 4 cylinder mode, you would want a gear that puts engine revs in a sweet spot for that, same with trailer tow... so essentially your still running a 5 or 6 speed automatic with 4 or 5 reserved gears... but you can do the same with a CVT as well...
    its true a CVT would have a similar effect, but for performance, sound, feel, and durability reasons they have not reached reasonable acceptance level yet. Subaru is trying the first performance CVT that i'm aware of in the new WRX we'll see how that goes...my guess is they're not light enough....GM used an allison made CVT in their hybrid truck platform (escalade hybrid) so GM knows how to do CVT my guess is a benefit analysis is showing manufacturers the advancements in automatics and automated manuals is a better place to invest R&D than CVT and let face it we're talking about powerful cars here 420HP....the Subaru CVT has under 300hp and the GM CVT had an aditional 4 speed automatic built in for towing

Cuhulin is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I had a great 10-speed back in my early high school years. It would be cool to have one again.

Harry_Wild is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1988 Cadillac Sedandeville

Looking around at all the luxury brands and ultra luxury brands that are now AWD; GM must working on closing this high performance gap in their models. If not, they will be hurting when they try to sell their models worldwide.
    Tedboss1 likes this.

aceman is offline Cadillac Owners Member

the traction control will do a fine job keeping you on the road if you have the proper tires for the weather

Lets see, park your car on a snow/ice covered driveway, with a uphill slope. Try going up the driveway with your traction control - not going to happen.
    I've lived up in the NE all my life - not only is AWD great for snow, but gives you a good comfort level when driving in rain. I don't care if you put studded tires on RWD / FWD cars - there is NOTHING like AWD.

With regards to Caddy not having anything to handle the torque of the v-sport, isn't the XTS V-sport available in AWD???

Aceman
    Tedboss1 likes this.

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by aceman
    Lets see, park your car on a snow/ice covered driveway, with a uphill slope. Try going up the driveway with your traction control - not going to happen. I've lived up in the NE all my life - not only is AWD great for snow, but gives you a good comfort level when driving in rain. I don't care if you put studded tires on RWD / FWD cars - there is NOTHING like AWD. With regards to Caddy not having anything to handle the torque of the v-sport, isn't the XTS V-sport available in AWD??? Aceman
    It's more of a function of the summer tires than RWD. I pulled out my V on my snow covered driveway to move it into another bay. I had a heck of a time trying to steer the car back in the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by aceman View Post
    Lets see, park your car on a snow/ice covered driveway, with a uphill slope. Try going up the driveway with your traction control - not going to happen.
    I've lived up in the NE all my life - not only is AWD great for snow, but gives you a good comfort level when driving in rain. I don't care if you put studded tires on RWD / FWD cars - there is NOTHING like AWD.

With regards to Caddy not having anything to handle the torque of the v-sport, isn't the XTS V-sport available in AWD???

Aceman
    yes with a gimped engine because it can't handle the torque

XTS V-Sport - 410/369 HP/Torque
    CTS V-Sport - 420/430 HP/Torque

aceman is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Wookie -

Are you sure? i'm on the caddy site and when ibuild the XTS vsport w/ twin turbo engine its AWD???

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by aceman
    Wookie - Are you sure? i'm on the caddy site and when ibuild the XTS vsport w/ twin turbo engine its AWD???
    Yes with significantly less power than the CTS TT-V6 V-Sport.

Quote Originally Posted by aceman View Post
    Wookie -

Are you sure? i'm on the caddy site and when ibuild the XTS vsport w/ twin turbo engine its AWD???
    YES....XTS V-Sport is definately AWD because 300 HP is about the functional limit for FWD so AWD is there to take some load....HOWEVER! even after adding AWD the engine is still too powerful so they had to detune that motor

dobrenyr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I agree... i have a CTS FE3 RWD only and with my set of winter tires, i have no problems at all.... my take offs are a bit comprimised compared to AWD but i can better gauge the road conditions and drive more accordingly.... AWD inspires too much confidence due to better acceleration but that's about all... the rest it worse. And when it gets particularly bad... i turn off the Traction and stability controls as they interfere way too much.

Harry_Wild is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1988 Cadillac Sedandeville

From the Cadillac V crowd that I talk with; they feel strongly that the "V" should only be RWD with no option for an AWD available. I have a feeling Cadillac V department feels that way too. So I would not get my hopes up on eith the V-Sport or V coming with AWD option.

They view the CTS with the V as a muscle car not a competitor to the Germans. The only car now that does not have AWD in the high performance is the M5! But the next generation is going to be available for AWD however.

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

It needs to be available as an option. They definitely shouldn't go the way mb has gone in the US, which is to make it the only option.
    Tedboss1 likes this.

spind is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe AWD Premium
    AWD is better than RWD for the same reasons Limited slip diff is better than an open diff.
    The more wheels you have providing traction the better. ( there are always trade offs)

Cadillac should offer a V-sport AWD along side the RWD.
    Tedboss1 likes this.

tomm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Cadillac CTS VSport

I have come from a Northstar STS V8 AWD and went to the RWD CTS Vsport and I was concerned at first but after my first 700 miles I am very happy with it. It grips the road very well and I have driven in some light snow and the Snow & Ice mode worked well and I was not slipping.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.