My First Impression (Showroom, not driving)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By greyghost04
  • 1 Post By greyghost04
2014+ Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, My First Impression (Showroom, not driving) in Cadillac CTS Third Generation Forum - 2014+; Last night I stopped in a showroom and checked out the CTS. I didn't drive one since it was cold ...
    Slee_Stack is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Wagon RWD Premium, Used to own 2005 STS 1SG

My First Impression (Showroom, not driving)

Last night I stopped in a showroom and checked out the CTS. I didn't drive one since it was cold and raining out. They had two on the warm showroom floor to look at. One was a 3.6 Premium, White Diamond and Kona interior, stickered at $68k . The other a Premium V-Sport, black on black, at $70k.

Admittedly the interior is pretty impressive on these Premiums. I couldn't fault anything fit and finish on the interior. I liked the added detail of the suede and perforated inserts here and there, as well as the good looking matte wood and stitching on the 3.6. My fiance was drawn to the svelte rearview mirror...another nice touch as well.

Legroom in the back felt tight. I'm 6'1". In a normal driving position, my fiance, at 5'8" felt a bit cramped sitting directly behind. It honestly felt about the same as our A4. Not sure why they couldn't carve out at least another 1-2" total F+R legroom considering how large the overall car is.

The rear end wasn't as bad looking in person. I still felt it to be too dull. Its like Cadillac wanted to 'average out' the front and rear design.

One thing I particularly didn't care for was the strained efforts at 'whiz-bang'...electronic glove box release, motorized cup holder lid, motorized cubby hole. All I could think was 'why!?'. They add nothing to the vehicle and almost scream 'broken motor' in a couple years. Get rid of stuff like this and take the savings off the sticker.

I also really didn't care for the LCD cluster. It was lower contrast than I expected. A faded dark grey background if you will. i presume its adjustable and maybe it was set poorly. I don't mind a DIC, but I prefer traditional gauges for speedo and tach.

All in all, initial fit and finish quality certainly seems to have jumped a level or two inside and out. I'd probably agree that its on par with an A6.

Interior space is disappointing for such a large-on-the-outside vehicle. IMO the price sits $5K to $10k too high.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Slee_Stack
    One thing I particularly didn't care for was the strained efforts at 'whiz-bang'...electronic glove box release, motorized cup holder lid, motorized cubby hole. All I could think was 'why!?'. They add nothing to the vehicle and almost scream 'broken motor' in a couple years. Get rid of stuff like this and take the savings off the sticker. .
    ^^^^ This!!!!!!!

I am a gadget/tech guy, but I have to agree with this 110%

Technology that is implemented just for technology's sake that serves no real purpose or value is a waste in my opinion. It is not needed to compete with Lexus, BMW, Mercedes or Audi (although Audi does have the disappearing NAV screen).

They contribute little to the overall dynamics of the car. Delete them. I feel the same about the disappearing NAV screen on the 2nd gen CTS.

greyghost04 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '14 CTS 2.0 Luxury AWD, '12 SRX 3.6 AWD

Re: My First Impression (Showroom, not driving)

OK, after owning one for about 3 weeks I can speak from experience. Agree with everything about the interior, including your rear seat observation. I love the entire exterior. As for the gadgets, I think they are more to impress your friends who don't have them in their car. But, the glove box button, I don't have to reach as far to open the box and throw something into it. The sliding cup holder cover, well you had to open the last one I had manually and now I don't. But the secret compartment, that's the t*ts! It never fails to impress my old hippie friends when they see the secret stash compartment. I wave my hand over it while deftly hitting the release and saying,"Abra cadabra" and the lid opens. Never fails to get applause and a gasp.

One thing you won't notice until you drive one is how nice the shifter feels in your hand. And then how nice it feels when you throw it into drive. You'll have to do it to understand what I mean. It's like you are pulling into a soft pillow.

Hope you all get a chance to drive one.
    ryannel2003 likes this.

BMWBig6 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

Quote Originally Posted by Slee_Stack View Post

Legroom in the back felt tight. I'm 6'1". In a normal driving position, my fiance, at 5'8" felt a bit cramped sitting directly behind. It honestly felt about the same as our A4. Not sure why they couldn't carve out at least another 1-2" total F+R legroom considering how large the overall car is.
    What year A4 do you have? I have one now and was hoping the new CTS would be at least comparable to A6/5-series/E-class in cabin size now that it's no longer a 'tweener. No way I'm going to drop that much coin on a CTS if the interior is only marginally larger than (or the same) as my A4.

Slee_Stack is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Wagon RWD Premium, Used to own 2005 STS 1SG

I have an '11. The published tech data indicates the new CTS has 0.9" more of total legroom vs my A4.

marktanner is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium 2.0T 6M Black Raven/Caramel

I had two gen 2 CTSs, and the new one definitely has more rear room. I always compare rear seat room after adjusting the seat for my driving position, which sometimes has to be re-adjusted during driving as opposed to just the showroom. There appears to be 1-2 inches of additional knee and leg room than before, as well as more headroom. Further, there is more leg and thigh support. The gen 2 had very little leg support, while the new car's seats will support even long legs. The new car's seat can go much farther back, and will therefore more easily accommodate longer-legged drivers, though obviously at the expense of rear seat room. Not all of the competition can do that, though.

In my experience, the new CTS has more rear room and comfort than the A4. The A6 is a bit more spacious than the CTS, though.

swgyoooo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Premium 3.6 AWD

After 1100 miles I will agree with most comments as well. I am still in love with this car. As I have previously mentioned, this is my first car in 5 years. I have had 4 SRXs and an Escalade previously, so I was a little anxious about moving to a car, but so far, no worries.

My only real gripe is storage space. With the CD player in the glove box, it is tight. The center console is surprisingly small. The door map pocket is not hinged like some, so it really is limited to maps or other paper. The hidden center stack storage compartment was mostly a flashy gimick in the SRXs, but I really need the extra space in the CTS.

Quote Originally Posted by swgyoooo View Post
    After 1100 miles I will agree with most comments as well. I am still in love with this car. As I have previously mentioned, this is my first car in 5 years. I have had 4 SRXs and an Escalade previously, so I was a little anxious about moving to a car, but so far, no worries.

My only real gripe is storage space. With the CD player in the glove box, it is tight. The center console is surprisingly small. The door map pocket is not hinged like some, so it really is limited to maps or other paper. The hidden center stack storage compartment was mostly a flashy gimick in the SRXs, but I really need the extra space in the CTS.
    I agree about the glove box. If I could take out the dvd player, I would. It's like a buggywhip in the first gas cars.

ddawson is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS PREMIUM SEDAN 3.6 RWD
    Quote Originally Posted by greyghost04
    I agree about the glove box. If I could take out the dvd player, I would. It's like a buggywhip in the first gas cars.
    tThis is a luxury automobile,not a Public Storage bin.

Quote Originally Posted by ddawson View Post
    tThis is a luxury automobile,not a Public Storage bin.
    Not sure what that meant, but I meant, who has dvd or cd's anymore? 1 usb memory stick could hold over 10 dvd's of information and is a lot easier to use. We have ports for 3 of them and a SD card. The player is outdated already. Like putting a cassette player in the car.
    dslay04 likes this.

evanj21 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 Cadillac CTS 2.0t

I know this is off topic, but where is the CTS picture thread??

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.