My take on the 2014 Cadillac CTS - Page 9
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Like Tree19Likes
2014+ Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, My take on the 2014 Cadillac CTS in Cadillac CTS Third Generation Forum - 2014+; Originally Posted by gohawks63 But that's my point and it's also a selling point. Cadillac is now commanding BMW prices ...
    pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

Re: My take on the 2014 Cadillac CTS

Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63 View Post
    But that's my point and it's also a selling point. Cadillac is now commanding BMW prices so why not offer the same maintenance program so that BMW has one less thing to market against them. If the Cadillac materials are so much better than BMW (which I am conceding to you but hasn't been proven), then Cadillac will come out ahead of BMW anyway.

Also BMW is pretty adamant about not replacing anything (under the free maintenance program) unless it's called for by the car's onboard computer. If you want it done earlier, you pay for it.
    Seems goofy to me

Market something you don't need

Get abused for it by unscrupulous people

End up putting the inferior German parts on so you can continue marketing like them

----------

The only failure here is Cadillac not say our stuff doesn't wear out like theirs or we choose not to put in inferior parts that we need to insure

gohawks63 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee
    Seems goofy to me Market something you don't need Get abused for it by unscrupulous people End up putting the inferior German parts on so you can continue marketing like them ---------- The only failure here is Cadillac not say our stuff doesn't wear out like theirs or we choose not to put in inferior parts that we need to insure
    Didn't Cadillac extend the B2B warranty to 7 years/70K miles a few years ago? Why did they do that?

I won't belabor this and I'm really not trying to be argumentative. First it's your subjective opinion that Cadillac uses superior materials but let's leave it at that.

We all know that brake wear is dependent on usage, last year I traded in my '06 Acura RL with 95K miles still on the original brakes and according to my last service visit they still had plenty of miles left in them. I was the original owner. Prior to that I had a 2001 TL that had chronic issues with warped rotors and had the front brakes replaced at least three times in 90K miles.

All I am trying to say is that a Cadillac is commanding BMW money now and performance notwithstanding, I'm not convinced the average customer who is set on buying a BMW will view the Cadillac as a legitimate contender.

Again, that is not my opinion. I drove a 5 series loaner while the X5 was in for service and while pleasant enough, it really didn't do anything for me. Nothing that compelled me to want to own the car. If I had to choose between the two (and only the two), I'd pick the CTS. Add other cars in the mix and my choice MIGHT be different. In a recent Car & Driver comparo, they said it best, it seems as though BMW has gone the direction of grand tourer. Funny as I drove the car before I read the article and I had thought the same thing. With all the "Efficient Dynamics" direction with auto shut-off and such it feels like BMW has put more focus on fuel economy than driving fun. I swear our X5 feels more fun to drive than the current 535.

BTW in that test the cars finished in the following order

Audi A6 3.0T
    Cadillac CTS 3.6
    Mercedes E350
    BMW 535i XDrive

Having said all that, perceptions take a long time to change. BMW is riding on their past, while Cadillac is trying to shed their past. Both brands are going in different directions. Cadillac is going in the right direction IMO, but remember that they are 10 years into this (since the first CTS was introduced) and people still equate Cadillac with the land yachts of the past. I just feel that they jumped a bit too quick on the pricing and went a tad too conservative in their styling, although the more I see the new CTS, I tend to like it a bit more. I think a lot of it depends on the color, but I still don't regret for one minute my decision to buy a CTS-V over a new CTS V-Sport. In addition to the performance aspect I just love the looks. There is no mistaking it, whereas with the new style once you get past the front it can be mistaken for anything else out there.

I'm excited for Cadillac and I am actually looking forward to see if the Elmiraj does become the flagship. NOW THAT is a car and design that elicited a "gotta have that" desire. No mistaking that car for anything else on the road.

MD-11 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 12 CTS Coupe, 12 CTS-V Sedan

Didn't Cadillac extend the B2B warranty to 7 years/70K miles a few years ago? Why did they do that?
    Not entirely correct and i don't see the new warranty as being better, only people its better for are the ones who don't drive their car much.

From Cadillac site.
    Cadillac 4-year/50,000-mile1 Bumper-to-Bumper Limited Warranty with no deductible
    Cadillac 6-year/70,000-mile1 Transferable Powertrain Limited Warranty with no deductible for 2013 models (5-years/100,000-miles1 for 2012 and older models).

gohawks63 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by MD-11 View Post
    Not entirely correct and i don't see the new warranty as being better, only people its better for are the ones who don't drive their car much.

From Cadillac site.
    Cadillac 4-year/50,000-mile1 Bumper-to-Bumper Limited Warranty with no deductible
    Cadillac 6-year/70,000-mile1 Transferable Powertrain Limited Warranty with no deductible for 2013 models (5-years/100,000-miles1 for 2012 and older models).
    Thanks for clarifying. I must've gotten confused with the CPO warranty I got. That is 70K for B2B but because it's a 2012 it still gets the 5 year 100K miles.

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

I won't belabor this and I'm really not trying to be argumentative. First it's your subjective opinion that Cadillac uses superior materials but let's leave it at that.
    Cadillac changed their warranty by trading miles for time to address a dissatisfaction Cadillac owners were expressing with service.....that dissatisfaction relates to a large segment of owners running out of time long before they ran out of miles so they tweaked the warranty to add a year and make more people happy.....seems cool to me and it's good to know that they listen to us.

you got me all wrong in terms of quality, BMW makes an excellent car ....is Cadillac superior? definitely not......are there things that one does better than the other and vice versa? absolutely ........ within the context of service and constraining the conversation to the subject of covered free service, when you consider printed right in the owners manual 100k miles coolant, 100k miles spark plugs, 150k miles belts, and 80k miles rotors mentioned in their press releases it's probably a lot more than subjective that these items a better than what BMW is using. in fact, save for the carbon ceramic brakes available in the M cars nothing BMW makes is nicer than the Brembo caliper/FNC rotor combination and that is what I was referring to when another poster suggested that in light of not needing the service Cadillac should say they cover it anyway. what's funny to me is what's long been a barrier to a lot of people buying foreign cars is the expense of service and how easily consumers were fooled into forgetting that import reality just by being offered free service, so fooled that other manufacturers were forced into covering cars that may or may not need the same insurance in order to avoid looking like they don't stand behind their product.

all that said, you speak much truth ....kudos, you are correct brake wear is usage dependant, at the CTS event I attended Cadillac told us while explaining the benefits of the FNC rotors that a very large percentage of brake pad wear is from the constant scrubbing of the corrosion on the rotors (whether you see rust or not) and by eliminating it with this new rotor process, brake pad material is used for braking rather than cleaning thus the doubling of pad life is due to pad material not being wasted, sounds to me like you'd hit 180k miles if your Acura was equipped with these
    gohawks63 likes this.

greyghost04 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '14 CTS 2.0 Luxury AWD, '14 SRX 3.6 AWD

In the Chicago 'burbs? If so I am familiar with them from when I lived there. My parents bought their last Caddy from Grossinger. I won't comment on them since it was a long time ago.

The new dealer I will be going to has a very good reputation around here (Don Massey), so I will try them out.
    I don't even like to talk to the greasy salesmen at Grossinger

dobrenyr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

My observations.. ( Canadian Prices )
    I was at my local Caddy Dealer getting my Gen II CTS ready for winter... My sales buddy offered me to take a new CTS4 4clylinder turbo out for a drive so here my take....

1: you cannot just get in and drive this car, you must first aquaint yourself with the set up of the controls… completely different than any other car… unless you already have an ATS or XTS. I found it somewhat difficult, apparently you can voice command anything and that may be the only way not to get finger prints on the console center stack. Take the time to Learn the voice commands…

2: car drives extremely well… you can see all the spots where they made changes for better structural rigidity… looks like they went overboard… as the sunroof is so small… even though it’s supposed to be a panoramic roof… it’s way too small. Same goes for the fold down rear seats for trunk pass though… so much structure… it’s almost useless as a pass through. The multi-point hinge that is on the 2nd gen is replaced by the big tubular arm that kills trunk space… why ?

3: rear seat is surprisingly roomy, a pleasant surprise. Shoulder room seemed tight but same with XTS. Vision is reasonable and 4 cylinder was pleasant. Headroom was great, on par with the XTS.

4: Cadillac prices overlap too much… ATS premium was $62, the CTS I drove was $62, and the XTS Platinum was $68. I suppose a base XTS is $62 as well….Having sat in all three it seems that the CTS is by far the nicest and can compete with the ATS and XTS… so I can see it taking sales away from those two other models… much like the new 2nd gen CTS killed the STS. So the CTS sales success will be a the expense of their other models.

5: you need a keen eye to differentiate the ATS and the CTS… from a distance…. You would be challenged… telling them apart.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.