My take on the 2014 Cadillac CTS - Page 8
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
2014+ Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, My take on the 2014 Cadillac CTS in Cadillac CTS Third Generation Forum - 2014+; Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee Shortly after ATS release GM announced they had to cut back CTS production 40% Here's another ...
    gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee
    Shortly after ATS release GM announced they had to cut back CTS production 40% Here's another news article And another So yes destroy is appropriate when you consider the size of that number and the fact it was a volume leader
    I'm not sure what your point is. The Second gen CTS was a five year old lame duck model. The ATS better have been the volume leader at that point. The same way when the current gen ATS will get destroyed by the new version in a few years.

greyghost04 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '14 CTS 2.0 Luxury AWD, '12 SRX 3.6 AWD

Re: My take on the 2014 Cadillac CTS

This video tells the whole story. BTW, as soon as it opens be sure to go full screen.

http://video.consumerreports.org/ser...=2670622817001

Quote Originally Posted by greyghost04
    This video tells the whole story. BTW, as soon as it opens be sure to go full screen. http://video.consumerreports.org/ser...=2670622817001
    I
    Again I am not disputing the improvements made and I have no doubt it's a great driver's car.

My issue is that I feel the designers went too conservative and when spending that kind of money there are other choices that also have better dealer experiences along with other factors like the a comprehensive maintenance program (read: BMW).

I was in the dealer and they had a 2014 CTS-V coupe sitting next to a 2014 CTS sedan and again to me, the V-coupe jumped out at me and I was prepared to buy the V-Coupe with it's "outdated technology" and all, over the new model. In the end I came across a 2012 CPO V-Coupe with only 9,800 mile so I saved me some money, but as I said I was already getting prices on a '14 V-Coupe over a '14 V-Sport.

I hope that the car does well and given all of the accolades this is nothing but good for Cadillac and GM. I just feel that given the dealer experience, they may not be viewed as an equal to the Germans by the general public despite what us fans may think.

History has many cars that were heralded but never embraced by the general public.

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63 View Post
    I
    Again I am not disputing the improvements made and I have no doubt it's a great driver's car.

My issue is that I feel the designers went too conservative and when spending that kind of money there are other choices that also have better dealer experiences along with other factors like the a comprehensive maintenance program (read: BMW).

I was in the dealer and they had a 2014 CTS-V coupe sitting next to a 2014 CTS sedan and again to me, the V-coupe jumped out at me and I was prepared to buy the V-Coupe with it's "outdated technology" and all, over the new model. In the end I came across a 2012 CPO V-Coupe with only 9,800 mile so I saved me some money, but as I said I was already getting prices on a '14 V-Coupe over a '14 V-Sport.

I hope that the car does well and given all of the accolades this is nothing but good for Cadillac and GM. I just feel that given the dealer experience, they may not be viewed as an equal to the Germans by the general public despite what us fans may think.

History has many cars that were heralded but never embraced by the general public.
    the only advantage BMW has with their maintenance program is wiper blades, other than that Cadillacs is just as good. sure BMW lists more things like brake pad and rotors. what most people miss is what's better than being given maintenance? ........ not needing it in the first place....... Cadillac uses a FNC anti rusting baking treatment that dramatically increases brake and rotor life far beyond that of BMW's. by covering the brakes in their 5/50,000 maintenance plan they're pretty much telling you you'll blow through your brakes under warranty, while Cadillacs last 80,000 miles.

FNC Rotors

and looking at my owners manual between the 100,000 miles between changes Dexcool coolant, 100,000 mile spark plugs, and 150,000 mile belts Cadillac pretty much covers you the same or better than BMW, this is not only good for us new car under warranty/ service plan buyers, but those who keep their cars longer or buy pre-owned benefit from this as well, let's see who's happier at year 6 or 50,001 miles when maintenance is on your dime. Cadillac is not letting BMW have very many advantages any more

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee View Post
    Shortly after ATS release GM announced they had to cut back CTS production 40%
    So yes destroy is appropriate when you consider the size of that number and the fact it was a volume leader

That isn't destroying anything IMO

With it being Car Of The Year last year and all of the other media hype the sales numbers are still below any other year of the CTS besides this out going/incoming new model year.

Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee
    the only advantage BMW has with their maintenance program is wiper blades, other than that Cadillacs is just as good. sure BMW lists more things like brake pad and rotors. what most people miss is what's better than being given maintenance? ........ not needing it in the first place....... Cadillac uses a FNC anti rusting baking treatment that dramatically increases brake and rotor life far beyond that of BMW's. by covering the brakes in their 5/50,000 maintenance plan they're pretty much telling you you'll blow through your brakes under warranty, while Cadillacs last 80,000 miles. FNC Rotors and looking at my owners manual between the 100,000 miles between changes Dexcool coolant, 100,000 mile spark plugs, and 150,000 mile belts Cadillac pretty much covers you the same or better than BMW, this is not only good for us new car under warranty/ service plan buyers, but those who keep their cars longer or buy pre-owned benefit from this as well, let's see who's happier at year 6 or 50,001 miles when maintenance is on your dime. Cadillac is not letting BMW have very many advantages any more
    Well you may be correct. I will just have to see. I have a 2011 BMW (45K miles) and a 2012 CTS-V. (10k miles). Both were purchased as CPO. On the V I traded in my '12 Premium AWD Coupe that I bought new.

I've had the V less than a month so no dealer visits yet, but I have decided to change dealerships based in the experiences of my previous coupe.

With that car I had to take it in for a faulty seat belt buckle that would cause the seat belt warning light flash while buckled. I won't rehash the entire story but let me say the the SM and the techs were clueless saying that they "hooked the car up to a computer and got no codes". Of course it gave no codes, it wasn't a trouble code. It just thought I wasn't belted. They even insulted my intelligence by saying, "you know that the light will flash if you're not belted... Right?"

Really? You don't say? These new fangled cars are pretty amazing that they warn you when your not belted.

I had to get the general manager involved and sure enough when they replaced the seatbelt buckle (which is what I told them to do) the problem was resolved.

Then the repair for front engine cover leak was uneventful.

Then I took it in for a squeaky sunshade which they replaced. I got it back with greasy handprints all over the roof and the sunshade was not installed correctly as it was all gathered up on the edges. The sunroof now rattled when it was vented (tilted) open. I found the cause myself with the help of a forum member (Mounting screws that weren't tightened).

Counter this with flawless service I got from Acura dealers for nearly 20 years. Often times covering items out of warranty. Once when I got in an accident I swung by the dealer to drop off the bumper cover (cop told me I couldn't leave it there) at the dealer body shop. They were closing and I told the SM I would be back the next day for an estimate as I planned for them to fix it. She said to me, "you can't drive that car". I said it was driveable. She insisted in giving me a brand new TSX to drive and when I told her that my insurance wouldn't cover it she told me not to worry about it, to keep it and if she needed it she would call me and I could then get a rental through my insurance company. I drove that car for two weeks and they never billed me or my insurance.

The dealers were a main reason why I stayed with the brand that long.

With the X5, I have only had two dealer visits since I owned it. One was for a minor warranty item and they took care of a bunch of maintenance stuff and the last was for maintenance too. Painless each time, non-insulting service managers and a spotless car returned.

We'll see how the experience goes with this other dealer. They are known to be better and was told I should have gone to them from the beginning. In my opinion Cadillac dealers have a ways to go from a dealership experience when compared to the other luxury brands, at least from my experience.

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

Speaking of dealers and service I am getting ready to go in with some issue's and find out how my new Cadillac dealer really is.

I forgot to add in my previous post....

Brakes aside the X5 doesn't seem to call for a lot of maintenance. Brakes seem to go about 40k-50K miles. The onboard computer is stating that the new brakes that were jus installed will need replacing in 50K miles but as I said previously that seems to vary based on real world driving (and actual remaining pad) not just miles. Brake fluid flushes are every two years which is what the industry typically recommends. Oil changes seem to be in the range of 10k - 15K miles because they use full synthetic.

So again I don't think the BMW requires any more maintenance.

Also if Cadillac's materials are so superior than the competition, why not include them in the maintenance anyway? Chances are try won't have to replace that many anyway in the first 50K miles and they come off offering the same sort if coverage the competition does.

The casual buyer doesn't know about that sort if stuff anyway and many people lease anyway so they don't much care what happens after 50K miles. This way there is one less thing a a BMW salesperson has to point out when a customer is undecided between a BMW and a Cadillac.

CTSCHICK, good luck. Let us know how it goes. I probably won't get to test my new dealer for a while. I won't be driving the V much if at all through the winter so hopefully it won't be into late next year before I need to make a visit.

ddawson is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS PREMIUM SEDAN 3.6 RWD

I have the 2014 CTS premium sedan. Today I was at the gas station and two people ask me "what year is that and how much did it cost?". I responded, a 2014 and $67.8 thousand. Both people said " I figured as much, it is beautiful and it looks expensive." My point is, no one ever said my 2008 CTS premium looked expensive.

greyghost04 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '14 CTS 2.0 Luxury AWD, '12 SRX 3.6 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63 View Post
    Well you may be correct. I will just have to see. I have a 2011 BMW (45K miles) and a 2012 CTS-V. (10k miles). Both were purchased as CPO. On the V I traded in my '12 Premium AWD Coupe that I bought new.

I've had the V less than a month so no dealer visits yet, but I have decided to change dealerships based in the experiences of my previous coupe.

With that car I had to take it in for a faulty seat belt buckle that would cause the seat belt warning light flash while buckled. I won't rehash the entire story but let me say the the SM and the techs were clueless saying that they "hooked the car up to a computer and got no codes". Of course it gave no codes, it wasn't a trouble code. It just thought I wasn't belted. They even insulted my intelligence by saying, "you know that the light will flash if you're not belted... Right?"

Really? You don't say? These new fangled cars are pretty amazing that they warn you when your not belted.

I had to get the general manager involved and sure enough when they replaced the seatbelt buckle (which is what I told them to do) the problem was resolved.

Then the repair for front engine cover leak was uneventful.

Then I took it in for a squeaky sunshade which they replaced. I got it back with greasy handprints all over the roof and the sunshade was not installed correctly as it was all gathered up on the edges. The sunroof now rattled when it was vented (tilted) open. I found the cause myself with the help of a forum member (Mounting screws that weren't tightened).

Counter this with flawless service I got from Acura dealers for nearly 20 years. Often times covering items out of warranty. Once when I got in an accident I swung by the dealer to drop off the bumper cover (cop told me I couldn't leave it there) at the dealer body shop. They were closing and I told the SM I would be back the next day for an estimate as I planned for them to fix it. She said to me, "you can't drive that car". I said it was driveable. She insisted in giving me a brand new TSX to drive and when I told her that my insurance wouldn't cover it she told me not to worry about it, to keep it and if she needed it she would call me and I could then get a rental through my insurance company. I drove that car for two weeks and they never billed me or my insurance.

The dealers were a main reason why I stayed with the brand that long.

With the X5, I have only had two dealer visits since I owned it. One was for a minor warranty item and they took care of a bunch of maintenance stuff and the last was for maintenance too. Painless each time, non-insulting service managers and a spotless car returned.

We'll see how the experience goes with this other dealer. They are known to be better and was told I should have gone to them from the beginning. In my opinion Cadillac dealers have a ways to go from a dealership experience when compared to the other luxury brands, at least from my experience.
    My dealer (Steve Foley) has given me flawless service over 10 years. Shame your dealer isn't that good.

b4z
    b4z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Standard SrX grey/black

I am just having trouble with the price and the smaller backseat. why did they do that?

----------

This is the thing, I can go get a Chevy SS for $46K with 415 hp or a I can get a caddy with a turbo 4 and 4" less rear legroom. I don't particularly like the styling of the SS but im getting a car that 4 good sized adults can fit in comfortably. the caddy I would be apologizing to the people in the backseat.

Quote Originally Posted by b4z View Post
    I am just having trouble with the price and the smaller backseat. why did they do that?

----------

This is the thing, I can go get a Chevy SS for $46K with 415 hp or a I can get a caddy with a turbo 4 and 4" less rear legroom. I don't particularly like the styling of the SS but im getting a car that 4 good sized adults can fit in comfortably. the caddy I would be apologizing to the people in the backseat.
    the SS is bigger but not by what you think....it really is .9" bigger...here's why:

the SS has a published front legroom of 42.3 inches and rear 39.7
    the CTS has 45.7 and 35.4 front and rear leg room respectively

when comparing the cars Cadillac explained to me at an event they are now thinking in terms of total legroom front to back when you do that the SS has 82" and the CTS has 81.1".

so if you put the CTS' seat in the SS' position matching its 42.3" you now have 38.8" in the CTS vs 39.7" in the SS.

so in the Caddy if you're apologizing to your back seat occupants, you're apologizing for not sharing

At the CTS V-Sport event i attended they demostrated this when poked about the 5 series have more legroom, they took a couple volunteers and showed them the CTS had more room for both front and back occupants, it was an eye opener

Quote Originally Posted by greyghost04 View Post
    My dealer (Steve Foley) has given me flawless service over 10 years. Shame your dealer isn't that good.
    In the Chicago 'burbs? If so I am familiar with them from when I lived there. My parents bought their last Caddy from Grossinger. I won't comment on them since it was a long time ago.

The new dealer I will be going to has a very good reputation around here (Don Massey), so I will try them out.

Also if Cadillac's materials are so superior than the competition, why not include them in the maintenance anyway? Chances are try won't have to replace that many anyway in the first 50K miles and they come off offering the same sort if coverage the competition does.
    I couldn't tell you cadillacs reasons but my guess is liability, if they say they will cover 80,000 mile brakes during the free maintenance period of 4 year/50,000 miles, i can pretty much guarantee you that there will be people who will demand their free brakes, most likely at 3 years 11 months/49,000 miles, why set yourself up for that if you don't have to?

Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee View Post
    I couldn't tell you cadillacs reasons but my guess is liability, if they say they will cover 80,000 mile brakes during the free maintenance period of 4 year/50,000 miles, i can pretty much guarantee you that there will be people who will demand their free brakes, most likely at 3 years 11 months/49,000 miles, why set yourself up for that if you don't have to?
    But that's my point and it's also a selling point. Cadillac is now commanding BMW prices so why not offer the same maintenance program so that BMW has one less thing to market against them. If the Cadillac materials are so much better than BMW (which I am conceding to you but hasn't been proven), then Cadillac will come out ahead of BMW anyway.

Also BMW is pretty adamant about not replacing anything (under the free maintenance program) unless it's called for by the car's onboard computer. If you want it done earlier, you pay for it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.