My take on the 2014 Cadillac CTS - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
2014+ Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, My take on the 2014 Cadillac CTS in Cadillac CTS Third Generation Forum - 2014+; Regarding the Car And Driver comparo test.... something just doesn't add up here... 1: the car is lighter than the ...
    dobrenyr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: My take on the 2014 Cadillac CTS

Regarding the Car And Driver comparo test.... something just doesn't add up here...
    1: the car is lighter than the others
    2: it has a bit more power
    3: it has the same number of gears

BUT... now here's the problem...
    It's slower and has poorer fuel economy...

Now, while fuel economy is the last thing i think about... why should a car with a supposedly much better power to weight ratio NOT be the fastest one in the TEST and get at least the same fuel economy.

Combine that with conservative stylinig and such a high price... i would rather look a the German brands because they will not depreciate as much as the Cadillac does. GM priced the Covette just right, why is Cadillac boosting the price so much? I think we would have a sales success if they cut that increase in half and then make up their profits with increased volume.

I was also looking for some better rear seat leg room and a better trunk, but sinces its and ATS platform, it inherits those short falls as well....On the plus side, i expect it's ride and handling to be supperior to the Germans... but i will have to see that for myself....
    RAB likes this.

DG2
    DG2 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    The 2014 CTS is giving you all a lot more car for that money ! It is truly superior to the German and Japanese brands The execution of design and performance. Gone are the days of the Cadillac being a bargain brand with subpar performance and quality. They truly brought themselves back with the new CTS to the standard of the world moniker.

like2drive is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS RWD 3.6L SFI Black Cherry / Cashmere

Had a chance to sit on a new 2014 CTS 2.0T AWD with 18" wheels - pearl white with cashmere interior. I have to say that's a very nice car, with an interior which is, I think, nicer than the 2nd gen CTS. The steering feels nice, as they now make the steering wheel smaller than previously. Seat and seating position were excellent. Again, I did not drive it, just spent few minutes sitting on the driver's seat. Another cool thing is that (I believe) as soon as you step up to the 18" wheels, you get the MRC suspension... But I agree, they will have to offer good incentives before I decide to pull the trigger....

RAB
    RAB is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

GM's price increase for the 2014 CTS Sedan is 50% more than it should be. The exterior styling of the new car is disappointing for those (and there are many) who were expecting a truly cohesive and exciting overall new look, from stem to stern. Then there's the matter of the ordinary /less than stellar GM dealer experience, which the Cadillac brand remains a part of and continues to face. Well-heeled buyers of luxury cars expect a higher standard with respect to customer service and their dealer experience. And there's the matter of Cadillac still lacking the panache/cachet of the German luxury import brands (specifically M-B and BMW). Add it all up and Cadillac is still not there yet, albeit things are improving in many areas.
    IMO the huge increase in pricing for the 3rd gen CTS is a mistake - it has arrived too soon. This high level of price increase for the '14 CTS Sedan should have come later on (later model years), in a gradated approach when (if) further levels of brand/model admiration are earned and logged. I predict sales numbers in North America for the '14 CTS Sedan will be disappointing and price reductions will eventually have to happen /are inevitable.

DG2
    Quote Originally Posted by RAB
    GM's price increase for the 2014 CTS Sedan is 50% more than it should be. The exterior styling of the new car is disappointing for those (and there are many) who were expecting a truly cohesive and exciting overall new look, from stem to stern. Then there's the matter of the ordinary /less than stellar GM dealer experience, which the Cadillac brand remains a part of and continues to face. Well-heeled buyers of luxury cars expect a higher standard with respect to customer service and their dealer experience. And there's the matter of Cadillac still lacking the panache/cachet of the German luxury import brands (specifically M-B and BMW). Add it all up and Cadillac is still not there yet, albeit things are improving in many areas. IMO the huge increase in pricing for the 3rd gen CTS is a mistake - it has arrived too soon. This high level of price increase for the '14 CTS Sedan should have come later on (later model years), in a gradated approach when (if) further levels of brand/model admiration are earned and logged. I predict sales numbers in North America for the '14 CTS Sedan will be disappointing and price reductions will eventually have to happen /are inevitable.
    This CTS has been on the market for 10 years the Cadillac Renaissance has been in play for 10 years . Add to it Cadillac has been in business for over 100 years and at one time was the only luxury brand any " well heeled " American would want Hence, it is certainly not too soon for them to ramp up and be competitively priced with the other luxury marquees I think Cadillac is a very admirable job of slowly phasing the price again while they were getting their cars up to and better than the competition. Time is right my opinion.

The dealership experience is a mixed bag . some of the Cadillac dealers are beautiful well-done and have great service bays. However there are some that lack and still have that old Buick feel and are in great need of major refreshment. However , i think Cadillac needs to find their own road and not just copy what the Germans and Japanese are doing in the service area and make a new dealership experience that is uniquely American . Don't over price the service like BMW Mercedes Benz and Lexus. Sure. I enjoyed the cappuccinos for getting an oil change however I did NOT enjoy the $300 average bill for just a simple check up on of my BMW.

RAB
    RAB is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

^ DG2, you're absolutely right - the dealership "experience" IS a mixed bag. Particularly north of the border. Did you know that in Canada there are zero stand-alone Cadillac brand dealerships? The "Cadillac" dealer nearby where I live in southwestern Ontario is a 100% full-brand GM dealership - Chevrolet, Buick, Cadillac and GMC. So when I bring my CTS in for service the dealership has a look and feel that is very ordinary (nothing at all special) and I'm rubbing elbows with clients having work done on their Chevy Sonics and the like.
    And now GM decides to price the new CTS at the same lofty levels as the luxury imports without first fixing the Cadillac dealership experience for all, everywhere. This remains a big problem for GM and Cadillac, imo. Many people who have purchased (or who are looking to purchase) a BMW 5-series, M-B E class, Audi A6, Lexus GS, etc are very conscious of things like status and prestige and don't want to be buying a Cadillac (that is priced the same as all those cars) that will have them visiting what is essentially a Chevrolet dealer.
    Cadillac have not yet earned justification for same level pricing as their principle luxury competition. In time perhaps yes, but not yet.

DG2
    Very fair point no doubt. My Cadillac dealer built a new Cadillac new high end showroom that's disconnected from the Buick GMC dealership that it's part of. However the service is connected so I know what you mean. I live on Long Island and there are several stand alone Cadillac dealers around with beautiful service areas but not so close to my home. GM needs to do something with those combined dealerships that give it a world class GM look since they are combined.

ddawson is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS PREMIUM SEDAN 3.6 RWD

In the Atlanta area they remodeled the dealership I use. The GM said, it was Cadillac's intention to remodel all dealerships alike.

RGaret is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None
    Quote Originally Posted by DG2 View Post
    Very fair point no doubt. My Cadillac dealer built a new Cadillac new high end showroom that's disconnected from the Buick GMC dealership that it's part of. However the service is connected so I know what you mean. I live on Long Island and there are several stand alone Cadillac dealers around with beautiful service areas but not so close to my home. GM needs to do something with those combined dealerships that give it a world class GM look since they are combined.
    I live on the island as well. I got my car from Sarant but after one of their service advisers blew me off, I moved my servicing to Paul Conte. My next Caddy may come from there as well. I've also heard good things about North Bay in Great Neck.

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

drove a 3.6 luxury again she was just as quick as my turbo ATS, but wow does the v6 make nice growly noises, i wanted to play with the new transmission cadillac says it can fire off shifts in .3 seconds, and in sport/manual mode it is very quick, but you have to be driving it HARD! to get it to bang off shifts like that, it slows down on partial throttle shifts. rev matched downshifts are the same you have to be braking hard to get the quick shifts.

the '14 CUE seems more responsive and the dual 6X9 subs sound nicer and not as taxed as the sub in my ATS.

and i almost lust for the new key fob, so much nicer, i want to see if i can get a set and program to ATS

BEarle is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 Cadillac Escalade
    I changed my mind, I was at the dealer and saw a white on brown CTS and what a beauty!! My sales guy told me a few weeks back that it looked unbelievable in white and he wasn't kidding!

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by BEarle
    I changed my mind, I was at the dealer and saw a white on brown CTS and what a beauty!! My sales guy told me a few weeks back that it looked unbelievable in white and he wasn't kidding!
    I could see that.

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

Quote Originally Posted by BEarle View Post
    Yes it looks really nice I was getting bored with that color but it does look nice, this car makes it look fresh, but I still like the platinum ice SRX color more, and wish they would do a plain white

JBsZ06 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS AWD FE2 DI 304hp

I have to agree with you my old friend RAB!

The new twin turbo CTS is nice yet I still admire the 2nd gen.
    Sized sport sedan with it's cutting edge art and science styling

The Chinese did not take to the second gen CTS art and science bold shape. The 3rd gen CTS styling really was designed for the Chinese market.

The growth and volume of the Chinese market will continue to dictate more manufacturers future styling direction.

Quote Originally Posted by RAB View Post
    Sorry ryannel2003, but I just don't agree with you. First off, contrary to what you say the 2nd gen CTS has aged extremely well - it is still contemporary and representative of a classic design; the car still looks extremely good, especially when properly outfitted with the correct options/equipment. Keep in mind the gen 2 CTS was revealed way back in January 2007. Show me another luxury-sport 2007/2008 car that still looks current/contemporary 6+ years after initial introduction. I'm sure you won't find many at all, other than perhaps the Audi A5. The second point is... I think the 2014 gen 3 CTS lacks proper stance, and similarly, lacks a cohesive body design/ design language. Yes, the front is aggressive (albeit somewhat over-styled/over-done and maybe just a tad tacky), but the side profile is decidedly boring and the rear is well, quite an aberration really.. and boring. The car is indeed longer (it's too long really), but so what?.. there's hardly any difference /increased room on the inside, so what's the point? Overall, styling wise, the design just doesn't come together for me. I find it lacking, despite all the enticing new features and bits on the inside. Bottom line.. it really all comes down to exterior styling and stance for a car in this segment to be regarded a true winner (the obvious top choice), and for me the 2014 CTS just doesn't have it.
    Btw.. current (2nd gen CTS) owners didn't want /didn't ask for "more elegant" styling for the new CTS - on the contrary - but I do suspect the Chinese market has demanded this. The new CTS is actually the new "STS", in concept and execution. For many/most CTS enthusiasts who were expecting an exciting, cutting-edge redesign of the 2nd gen CTS, the 2014 3rd gen CTS represents something of a disappointment.
    RAB likes this.

BEarle is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 Cadillac Escalade
    The only thing that blows me away is the price, the one I looked at was $70k. I saw a few online for example a 2.0 luxury for like $54k which isn't that bad and it's fairly loaded. I don't really care for the digital dash and front sensors the premium would have. Isn't the 2.0T a more exciting engine than the 3.6? I would buy the 2.0 and throw the 19s on there or just get the v sport wheels.
    It's funny because you can't tell the difference between any of the models besides the wheels. I would buy the white on red.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.